What's new

How do you organize your Movie rack? (1 Viewer)

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
Alphabetical; numerical titles are filed as if spelled out.

TV shows are in a different rack. Repo Man is out of order 'cause of the big tin box.

I go back and forth on where to put sequels. My Sinbad movies (um, the sailor, not the comedian) are all under "S," but those are a box set...right now, the Road Warrior is under "R," but I might do what Matt Hankinson says, above, and put it between the two Mad Maxes.

I'd never sort them by categories. Categories are artificial boundaries and should be disregarded! I own a video store with ~5500 titles and no categories, so I'm sure not going to do it at home.

--K

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Entirely alphabetical. Numbers as if spelled out (for the moment).
Seriously, the Extended Edition of "Fellowship of the Ring" is sandwiched between "Lilo & Stitch" and "Mad About You: Season One."
So yeah, my TV series are thrown in there, too. Now when I start getting around to collecting "The X-Files" and other such bulky sets, I might change that. But then again, I might not.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My DVDs, like my CDs, are organized in a way that might give others looking at it pause, but it works for me.

Most of my DVDs are kept on the top half of my book shef. On top of the shelf sits the Fellowship of the Ring, as well as the National Geographic DVD between the bookends from the gift set.
The first row is Criterions, in numerical order.
The next row is Star Trek (TNG all seasons, first three movies- Special Editions), Farscape season 1, and Tool's Salival (doesn't fit where the other music DVDs are). The third row contains the following box sets: Stanley Kubrick, Clint Eastwood "Man With No Name", Godfather, The Prisoner, and all Monty Python DVDs (except Life of Brian, which is with the rest of the Criterions).

Babylon 5 DVDs are on the 4th row along with B5 books and comics.

I have a tower that holds about 100 DVDs (one of those wiry things that bend a little in the middle) for the rest of the DVD- non-box sets and anything that fits. The bottom half contains my music DVDs in alphabetical order of rock artists on the bottom, jazz on top of that, then discs from the "classic album" series on top. Spawn (TV show) and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me are in the middle. The rest of my movies, except Jackie Chan, which go last together, are on top in alphabetical order, starting with "Pi." For some reason, I decided the Cyrillic alphabet goes before the Roman.

This may all sound weird, but it looks pretty nice. Besides, that ain't nothing compared to how I organize my CDs!

John Bryant

Second Unit
I keep snappers with snappers, keepcases with keepcases, bulky keepcase with bulky keepcases, and other with other.
Same exact way I do it. I also have two rows of unopened stuff up top. The video games have two shelves of one of my smaller bookcases. I need a new one soon.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My dvds that I've seen are all together in pure alphabetical order (numbers as if spelled out). I have a separate row for dvds I've purchased but not yet seen, in order of purchase (which is the order I will view them in).

My lds are in a separate shelf, again purely alphabetical.

My remaining 3 vhs tapes are alphabetical at the end of the dvd collection.

Ian Ramos

Agent
Alphabetical. Numerical titles first, with TV shows at the end.

I used to have it in date purchased, then by case type, then by genre, now alpha order. It seems more organized to me that way.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
I have quite a few dvds (1082). I divide by studio for all the majors (Columbia/Tri-Star, Fox, Dreamworks, Paramount, Universal, etc) with New Line, HBO, and Warner Bros being collected together (due to snappers). Within each studio I go in alphabetical order. But in my Excel spread sheet, I sort them by Studio, Rating, THEN alphabetical.

There are exceptions, however. All of my television sets are separate and some film series (Planet of the Apes, James Bond, Evil Dead and some others) yet the Star Trek series are contained in the Paramount collection.

I'm weird. I know.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
For starters, I have two bookcases: one for DVDs I've watched and one for DVDs I haven't watched yet. Each group is organized as follows:

Theatrical films are sorted by genre and then by alpha within each genre. I currently use the following genres:

Action
Adventure
Animated
Comedy
Documentary
Drama
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Romance
Science Fiction
Thriller
War
Western

Then I have the short film / special collections sorted by type and then alpha. After those are the music video and music concert discs.

Finally, come the television series. They are sorted alphabetically by show title.

-greg

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Using AMA library rules, my numbers are spelled out. Abyss, The, is my first title, and 12 Monkeys and 2001 are in the T's. Sports Night is in the S's, big spine out. The only boxes which aren't on my shelves (but rather on the top of the bookcase) are Spider-Man big box (although I'm designing a 3-disc case for that), E.T. big box (although the DVDs are actually in their reflective digipack which I keep with the E's, before Exorcist, The), and my Lord of the Rings set, the FOTR:EE and National Geographic disk side-by-side between the bookends.

Back on my meds,

CS

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I go strictly alphabetically, numbers in numerical order first. The first title is 12 Monkeys, the last one is You've Got Mail. I am almost done replacing all my snappers, tins and other seriously odd packaging with keepcases. It makes no sense to me to divide into genres and so on, though when I have more of them, I will probably put all the Bonds together. My biggest collection, The Twilight Zone falls together anyway. I don't mind the small juts between the sizes of keepcases and slipcases. Since my CDs and DVDs are all stored in a small area behind double louvered doors, you don't see them except when the doors are open.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Alphabetical, with numerical titles as if spelled out.

Seperate row for special cases(Akira, Anchor Bay tins).

Cases that don't fit on the rack(The Wicker Man, Creative Arts boxes) go in the closet. The Creative Arts DVDs come in a snapper(like the typical release), which appears on the regular shelf in alphabetical order.

Jorma

Grip
At the moment i arrange my discs (only about 200 at the moment)
-Genre
-Boxsets
-Snappers (Warner)
I was thinking to arrange then by Studio as well, but havent gotten that far yet :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have 4 racks, one for TV, one for movie series (Bond, Eastwood, Apes..so on)one for anime and animation, and the last for all the other movies...and that one is full. I have my snappers all to them self though...the plastic on them will snag the amrey sleaves if your not careful. I HATE SNAPPERS...i have not bought a movie before just cause its in a snapper, and if i have a choice i buy the non snapper version...hello Austion Powers (yep..a rebuy for a package)OK, I am done with my snapper rant...thanks!

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
My method is by case type, regardles of box set etc.. then alphabetical. Titles beginning with numbers are at the end in numerical order.

VHS has it's own shelf on the BOTTOM, where it belongs.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just a question for those of you with tons of dvds, and complex sorting systems (such as genre, studio, and case type).
Do you ever have a problem finding a disc? What if you know the movie you want to see, but it straddles multiple genres and you can't remember which studio and case type it's in? The primary reason I have mine alphabetical is so I can find them easily (and I still sometimes forget where a film is if it's a double feature :)).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Several of my genres are combined... like Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror and Drama/Classics/Action. This cuts down alot on cross genres (although not completely)

I don't separate by type of case. I don't mind a DVD shelf(or book shelf for that matter) to look uneven. I think it gives it character!

Ric

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
First films chronologically, with films made in the same year in alphabetical order, then television, organised in the same way.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Alphabetical and then in series order.

At the moment I keep my few TV-on-DVD discs with my movies, but if I start to collect more I'd keep the TV ones on one shelf and the movies on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks