What's new

How do I start a petition for SCTV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Don't think this was ever shown in the UK?? What songs were used? Lots of quality 80's pop music? If this show can be cleared then perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel? :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

AlanBrom

Second Unit
They did a lot of music parodies of people like the Village People, Anne Murray, John Denver, Richard Harris(!), Gino Vanelli (Eugene Levy's lipsyncing of the hairy singer had him transform into a werewolf in mid performance), and so on. Musical guests included Al Jarreau in a remake of "The Jazz Singer," Bob Geldof's Boomtown Rats singing "Elephant's Graveyard" in a remake of "To Sir With Love" starring Riccardo Montalban, Ian Thomas (Dave's brother), The Plasmatics (though I never saw this again in any syndicated rerun), John Cougar (Mellencamp) singing "Jack and Diane" in an Ed Grimley/Nutty Professor spoof, Dr. John in the famous "Polynesian Town" sketch, Roy Orbison and many others.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I have mixed emotions about beginning with season 4. Although it may be better, the set will feel somewhat incomplete, and as it stands there are no guarantees that they'll backtrack and release seasons 1-3 following the release of these ones. If I knew for fact that they were definitely going to release the 30-minute episodes sometime down the road, it would make this purchase a hell of a lot easier.
I believe that is the plan, but look at it this way, the best way to encourage Shout! Factory to release earlier seasons is to purchase the Network 90 episodes when they're released. Money talks.

BTW - I'm not sure if the season 4 and 5 releases will be complete seasons or not. Although there is no offical word yet, I know they were kicking around the idea of releasing 8 episode sets every 3-4 months but it was just an idea. I'm sure the final cost of music clearances and their impact on MSRP will play a role in whether we see complete season sets or volumes.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The latest is that this looks like an April '04 release - complete season 4. 27 90-minute episodes. To quote Dave Thomas as Bob Hope on SCTV, "It's gonna make Roots look like a commercial!"

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I got the info from Shout! Factory. Seems as if the January '04 date was a bit optimistic. 27 90 minute episodes...all those music clearances...my wallet is starting to cry!

Haden

Supporting Actor
They probably want to wait to see how the sales of the first set do before going ahead with production of any additional season sets.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The way it has always been posed to me is that Season 4 will be the "first release" or they're "starting with" the 90 minute shows so my guess is that the plan is to release season 5 after and then go to the earlier half hour eps. However, I would imagine that that would be depending in part on how well the first release sells.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
According to a posting by Joe Flaherty to alt.tv.sctv Newsgroup, cast members and writers have finished recording commentaries and on-camera interviews for the coming DVD set.

I was disappointed that I missed the Los Angeles session. Catherine and Andrea did the first Christmas show and apparently did a great job. Dave Thomas, along with some of the writers, did the Russian show. That also went well. Catherine and Andrea also did an additional show, as did Dave. Their on-camera appearances were quite good, I hear. Rick wasn't able to make the Toronto session, so that left Gene Levy and me to do the Moral Majority and Polynesian Town episodes. We did enjoy ourselves doing the voice-overs, but I think we had more fun doing the on-camera stuff. We ended up sounding like Earl and Floyd sometimes, though. Now, if I can just get the producers to edit out some of the barbs I tossed at some of our fellow cast members, I think we'll be home free!

Joe F.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I can't either but I do hope we will eventually get the first couple seasons. I started watching SCTV from the beginning on the CBC and loved Dialing for Dollars with Mo Green (Harold Ramis).

AlanBrom

Second Unit
This is excellent, excellent news! BTW, since Eugene Levy is getting involved with these DVD releases, does anyone know why he declined to be interviewed for Dave Thomas' SCTV book of a few years ago?

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Update: Consideration is being given to Direct Response distribution (TV ad or online purchase) which would make the DVDs available sooner rather than later - with retail to follow. Again, this option is on the table but nothing has been officially announced yet. We'll hopefully hear something soon.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, since Eugene Levy is getting involved with these DVD releases, does anyone know why he declined to be interviewed for Dave Thomas' SCTV book of a few years ago?
No idea. Can't imagine there's any bad blood between the pair - Thomas did a guest shot as Bob Hope on the "Jiminy Glick" episode that featured Levy...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
btw on deepdiscountdvd they have this listing.
STV the complete first season.
probably not sctv but what could STV be?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
STV...perhaps Star Trek Voyager?

The 2/24/04 date is dead-on for that. The $96 price is right, and the item # starts with a "P", which could mean Paramount...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks