What's new

How do I start a petition for SCTV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
My friend has heard some of the commentary tracks for the set and he said they were really funny.

BTW - No deal has been closed with Shout! Factory...at least when I spoke to them a few weeks ago that was the story.

Gord

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, but it's official!

GROUND-BREAKING COMEDY "SCTV" DEBUTS ON

HOME VIDEO FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

SCTV NETWORK/90, VOLUME 1

5-Disc Boxed Set Includes Nine 90-Minute Episodes Featuring the Comic Genius of

John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara and Dave Thomas, Plus Bonus Material including Four New Documentaries and the 1999 Aspen Comedy Arts Festival Program, In Stores June 8th

LOS ANGELES, CA - Welcome to Melonville (of the Tri-State area), home of the SCTV television network and programs such as popular game show "What's My Shoe Size?," disco dance program "Mel's Rock Pile" and Canada's intelligent talk show "Great White North." SCTV is once again "On The Air." Eighteen years after production ended on the original episodes, the two-time Emmy(r)-winner* SCTV will be available for the first time on home video, in the form of a 5-disc DVD set from Shout! Factory. Starring comedy's brightest northern lights Eugene Levy (American Wedding), Joe Flaherty (National Security), Andrea Martin (My Big Fat Greek Wedding), Catherine O'Hara (A Mighty Wind), Dave Thomas (Who's Your Daddy?) and the late John Candy (Uncle Buck), the DVD set includes the first cycle of nine, 90-minute episodes that aired on NBC, new interviews with writer Harold Ramis (Analyze That), producers, cast and crew, and more. SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 will be available on June 8th for $89.98 (suggested retail price).

When Shout! Factory COO Bob Emmer began researching licensing for SCTV, he was surprised to learn the series had never been released on home video, in any format. "We began dealing with the vast music clearance issues and, after more than a year of hard work, we were able to obtain the necessary licenses to enable us to release the first boxed set. This collection will make even the most serious fans very happy," remarks Emmer.

SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 contains nine, unedited 90-minute episodes including appearances by unforgettable characters Johnny LaRue, Yellowbelly, Edith Prickley, Bob and Doug McKenzie, and Lola Heatherton, and hilarious shows such as "Sid Dithers Private Eye," "Monster Chiller Horror Theatre," "Mr. Science," "High Q," "The Sammy Maudlin Show," and the Bob Hope/Woody Allen parody "Play It Again, Bob." These episodes also feature plenty of promo and commercial spoofs, and performances by musical legends Levon Helm, Dr. John and Southside Johnny. The 5-disc set contains four new documentaries: "SCTV Remembers" with original cast members Levy, Flaherty, O'Hara, Thomas and Martin, and executive producer Andrew Alexander (and co-owner of The Second City theater); "Origins of SCTV" with vintage photos and clips from Chicago's Second City Theatre; "The Craft of SCTV" with costume, hair and make-up designers; "Remembering John" with original cast, actor Martin Short, writers, and Bernard Sahlins, The Second City theater co-founder and producer 1959-1985; "SCTV Reunion" from the 1999 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival hosted by Conan O'Brien. The SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 DVD set will be packaged with a 24-page booklet containing an introduction by Alexander, and essays and tributes by O'Brien, Ben Stiller, Fred Willard, Dan Ackroyd and Dr. John, accompanied by images of rare photographs and memorabilia.

SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1

Street Date: June 8, 2004

Price: $89.98 SRP

Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Sorry, not the same thing, otherwise we would not be hearing "Hold me closer, terrible dresser!" on WKRP. You don't get that one back unless Elton & Bernie get paid. Now multiply that by several hundred times, and you'll understand.

Jack Nicholson took a very low salary as the Joker in Batman (and got top billing), but made a mint in residual percentages from the home video.

Older shows were not really thinking of video aftermarket. Even the cast the original Star Trek only got paid for the first couple of years for re-run residuals, and it's been off the air originally for 35 years. The cast of "Friends" can afford to be typecast and make bad movies for the rest of their lives because their current paychecks are are probably more than what my own real bank has in their vault, and Danny Elfman never has to work again, because just like Paul Anka did for 'The Tonight Show' when Johhny Carson was host, he gets paid every time the theme for 'The Simpsons' get played on television.

Just like in the movies, music clearance rights for television today are a whole new ball game. It's cheaper to make a new recording than to pay for an original. It's not the artist who gets the money per se, but the songwriters and music publishers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks