What's new

How about some newer artists for SACD/DVD Audio?? (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I agree that there needs to be a push for new artists on hi-rez. If Sony simply released one or two big albums in an SACD hybrid only and kept the cost the same as a CD they could push themselves to the next level. Most would ignore the fact that it was SACD capable but many would start thinking about it. The awarness that their music can sound better would drive a percentage of them to investigate, listen to the difference and hopefully step up. Even if they don't step up right away they would be more inclined to look for SACD/DVD-A when they replace their DVD player down the road.

Young people who are not interested or are using the family system now will have this on their mind 3,5, 8 years down the road when they are making DVD player decisions in their own homes.

It may not pay off today or tomorrow but if you put it in their hands there will be a payoff, assuming the formats make it that far.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator

Paul, the Barenaked Ladies Everything to Everyone album is now available like this (it's two separate discs, one CD and one DVD, not a dual-layer or a flipper) for just a few bucks more than the CD-only edition. DVD-A hi-res (2- and 5.1-channel), Dolby Digital (2- and 5.1-channel), stereo acoustic tracks, video of the acoustic tracks being recorded (with added between-song banter), a bonus electric song in 5.1, and a behind-the-scenes studio video. I got it for $19.99 at Best Buy (stocked in the CD section, as it's in a more CD-shaped package).

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll probably be picking that one up.

That is what I am talking about...except make it become the new standard for many of the front line artists. It seems a bit much to ask but if the music industry wants to charge near DVD prices, they need to deliver the content and make it exciting for people...of course adding everything to every release isn't practical but a DD with DVD-A track would be nice...

by the way I am not demeaning the SACD standard it just doesn't have the flexibility to provide the "gee-whiz" to the masses and hi-rez audio, it does however allow for easy dual layer solutions...I would just like to see something that generates excitement for people. Look how well the NOW series sells, people feel like they get a lot for their money, all those hits...adding video and surround and still maintaining the standard CD audio in the same package could generate some of that bang for the buck as well.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
DVD-A I think. Still in the "no firm release date" catagory if I remember correctly.

BTW: I just ordered hybrid SACDs of Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 for $5.99 each off bmgmusic.com....sweet! not a new artist but still a great deal.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
BMG has started to give us newer releases on DVD-A. Recently they have put out Alicia Keys, Wyclef Jean, newer Luthor Vandross, newer Rod Stewart, the Foo Fighters, and newer Santana to name a few. It is great to see them finally embracing Hi-res in the US.

J

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
That's a gross generalization that has no real proof. This is the demographic that knows the quality of DVD. This is the generation that will be willing to bring HDTV to a wider audience. If that demographic isn't interested in high res audio (which I'm not convinced is the case), they need to be marketed to. They need to be shown how much better it can be. They need to have content that they want to listen to. A catalog of dead and near-dead musicians isn't going to cut it. Current releases in high-res need to be the norm, rather than the exception.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks