What's new

How about some newer artists for SACD/DVD Audio?? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I've been listening to SACD/DVD Audio for only a few months now and am highly pleased with it. But it wasn't until Beck's Sea Change that I really was blown away by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm into the classics and think Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is awesome!

But I'm seeing a trend here where it looks like most titles are from the 60's 70's era. I would really like to see some more modern artists embrace the new technology.

I also see that DVD-Audio titles are slowly starting to throw out some newer artist, but really still none to my liking. How about getting these to the plate?

Radiohead
More Beck
Massive Attack
Tool
Doves
Coldplay

Just naming a few, anyone else have any they'd like to add?

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
A Perfect Circle would be nice....

I could think of hundreds I'd LIKE.

I can't find the Outkast DVD-A for the life of me at a B&M store, they better move and start promoting the format with new artists or it is guarenteed a slow death.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
How do you sell higher priced Hi-Res to someone that thinks MP3 is perfectly fine? Put Hi-Res tracks on all of these music DVD videos that are starting to proliferate? Perhaps, but most people that purchase the videos think the Dolby or DTS tracks are awesome.

Chris and Paul assuming that you are relatively young, what do think is a solution?

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hey Robert, very good question. I'm 33 so my young years are fading fast. But it's true that a 16 year old might not care as much for Multi channel surround as I do. They might not have the set up for it at home perhaps. Plus as you said, MP3's!, plus their most likely free!

I still feel that marketing of SACD and DVD-audio is sub par. At my Best Buy, they have a very small selection of SACD/DVD-A in the back. No real advertising at all. I think it would be a great idea if both Best Buy and Circuit City had a demo booth at their locations to let the younger generation listen to the quality. I know CC sort of did this with the free Rolling Stone Sampler that you could bring in their store. I don't know how successful this was though.

Heck, even the people working at the store had no idea what SACD was. I even went to the manager...no clue. So, I'm not sure if there is one solution for this market, but they do need to beef up the awareness factor, that I'm sure of.

Brian Mixon

Agent
Nothing would top Tool being released on Dvd-A/Sacd. Perfect circle might come the closest. Beck and outkast are the only two that really spark my interest out of the whole Dvd-A and Sacd libraries. I havnt even made a purchase of iether formats, though ive been prepared for the past few months that ive owned my Denon-dvd 2900 and Denon 3803 reciever(wich regular cds still sound amazingly cool to me on). So I just figure until my tastes have been properly adressed in these formats, why spoil my ears when theres alot of regular cds I have and want to have that id like to sound pretty much like the best ive heard. Its hard enough going from my Nine inch nails dvd back to my cds. But hey...a Dvd-A/Sacd release of Tool, Perfect circle, or Iron Maiden would probably easely change my attitude on that. Ive got pretty much the same thoughts on HDTV. My tv is fully capable of 1080I, I own a Mitsubishi WS65712 RPTV and I know the picture would be out of this world awesome running in that resolution, but I dont want all these kick ass dvds looking inferior to a bunch of tv shows that I could go without. I'll wait until dvds or whatever they'll be called to be 1080 capable before I spoil my eyes on tv shows.
OK... So... might be a little too much information for this topic, but its how I feel an I felt like typin it so there.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chris,

I agree that more current releases are needed. I do think that the interest in audiophile and classic records titles has been largely due to Sony's emphasis on the "boomer" group. As more interest is developed I think we will see more stuff by group like Beck, The Thorns, etc.

We have seen recent releases by Norah Jones, Elvis Costello, Alison Krauss and James Taylor.

I think Sony and others are missing an opportunity by not marketing the format's surround in movie theaters where there is a nice captive audience. As I pointed out previously, they are doing this in Europe.

The Rolling Stone sampler was a step in the right direction, however. I wish they had done a 15 second TV spot though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, the recent Elvis Costello release sure isn't the least bit appealing to rock/hop/kuntry rock type fans!!! It's a nonfactor.

IMO, the best newish artists that are actually out on SA-CD (hybrid) would be:

Suitcase Pimps
Colleeen Sexton
The Thorns
David Elias
Cowboy Junkies
3 Doors Down
Grant-Lee Phillips
Dredg
Death Cab For Cutie
Groove Armada

When you consider how many SA-CD's are out, that's a mighty punny list!!! I've excluded Sony & Universal's single-layer releases from the list. Even if you added them to the list it wouldn't amount to all that much, since so few of them are newish artists.

What were those guys (record executives) thinking thinking?:rolleyes

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I surprisingly haven't run across the Outkast Stankonia DVD-A at Best Buy (especially considering that when it was a new CD release a couple of years ago, they had an entire length of their rap section covered in copies of it), but I did see one copy at my local independent record-store mecca. I almost picked it up, but wound up getting Ryan Adams Gold and REM's In Time instead, simply because I usually listen to hip-hop in the car or something, and not while sitting at home, like I would with softer rock.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Rachael,
What is the Grant Lee Phillips album like? I own Grant Lee Buffalo Mighty Joe Moon which I like...if you're familiar with it maybe you could compare the two.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't checked the actual rap section at Best Buy....I just went to the DVD-Audio area for Stankonia. I asked someone at Circuit City where there DVD-Audio section was and they gave me a look and said that the do sell dvd players...and they had never heard of SACD.

I am relatively young (almost 27), but am just outside the "mp3s are good enough" crowd.

A solution? The only way I see for the music biz to make everyone happy and protect themselves are hybrid/flipper DVD-A/CDs with broad releases.

Many artists are already doing promos with DVDs as it is to have something people will buy vs download.

The next logical step is to have a couple music videos, artist interviews, photos, concert footage etc, on the same disc as a DVD-Audio track (of course with a DTS or DD stream for most people). At least then people would feel like they really got something for their money. Think of it...a CD layer/side to play everywhere and let people rip out compressed tracks...then some "cool" A/V material, combined with a surround audio track playable by the masses (DD or DTS), and hi-rez for the audiophile. This could be easily done, esp if the 192 stereo track is dropped for space concerns (not saying this is what I want but maybe a reasonable comprimise).

PCM processing and mixing equipment is the de facto standard and people want A/V, would get a kick out of 5.1 sound on a normal dvd player. With sony starting a SACD-2 standard for video cabablility further splintering the userbase (SACD players won't play this) and the issues with processing DSD, I see SACD reaching a near certain death....my only hope is from a scenario like I stated above.

*edit* thankfully I am enough of a general music fan to enjoy many of the older releases as well. A friend showed me the upcoming DVD-A list last night, not great but a few I am excited for, namely Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philly, and Dave Matthews Central Park concert.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. DVD-A and SACD needs newer artists in order to become a successful format. :)

If anyone finds that Stankonia DVD-A, please let me know because I would definitely like to pick it up!

While I am on the subject of Outkast, how well do you think a a 2 DVD-A/CD hybrid set of Speakerboxx/The Love Below would sell?! Just throw some very good and worthwhile extras on there and do a good job marketing it, and I think it would sell very well.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dan B, do a search of this forum and you should retrieve the review I did of MOBILIZE a couple of years ago. The material is muy excellente! It's one of the better one-man-band albums I've ever heard. The only downside is the drumming, which is frequently mechanized.

I haven't heard those albums with his old group. I've been meaning to but never have gotten around to it.:)

Brian Mixon

Agent
Im 25... And im just sayin even a jump into the 80's would be nice.
Brand new hardware should be met with brand new software.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dan B, my thread about MOBILIZE is: My old favourite pop SACD is...

I'd post a link to it but no telling where you'd end up!;) :)

I should of put the title in the thread but I don't think I can edit that at this point.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Billy, I'm 17, and I think MP3s aren't enough! However, it is good for me to hear stuff before I buy it. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
At my local Best Buy two Stankonia dvd-audios arrived a month and a half ago (and unless they were restocked, the same two are still there as of last Thursday :frowning: ).

LJ

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
The reason that few new artist are not making much of an appearance on DVD-A, etc, is that the demogrpahic that listens to them doesn't care about sound quality, packaging, or anything else that make DVD-A special. They would rather steal the music of the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks