What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

TonyRyan

Grip
Nice tight group you guys got going.
Is it possiable for another hard-core Horror and gore fan to join?
Tony Ryan

M

MaxY

Well I watched an interesting Vampire movie the other night...
The Forsaken
It was an interesting take on the well worn Vampire Genre. I kind of enjoyed it.
It does several things right...
1. Right in the begining of the movie it shows some breasts and earns an R-rating. This means you don't have to worry that they would try tone down the gore in hopes of maybe getting a PG-13.
2. They Show The Gore and even have a scene that would make Lucio Fulci, George Romero, and Hershel Gordon Lewis jelous. :)
So how is the movie you ask? Well it was ok, but not really great. It did not add much to the whole overplayed vampire scene, the acting was OK, the story was cohesive but not spectacular.
I would call this one a solid rental for horror fans and the gore fans will get some quick thrills from at least one scene with some other kind of cool scenes as well.
Max
OH BTW Tony, Sure come on in and stay a spell fans of Horror are always welcome.
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on October 01, 2001 at 06:04 PM]
[Edited last by MaxY on October 01, 2001 at 06:16 PM]

TonyRyan

Grip
What about Hammer I have read all the threads and didn't see any Hammer posts.
I havn't seen any thing of theres but I am about to get a large some of money (around 6 or 700$) and was thinking of putting 200 into a good Hammer collection.
Are these guys light on the gore? or the jumps? or the nudity? could I get some recomendations?
Tony Ryan
PS
Pardon my spelling I'm only 15
wink.gif

[Edited last by TonyRyan on October 01, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
The Forsaken
I absolutely hated this movie except for the opening. I thought it was very cool to hear the sounds and watch a girl in the shower washing blood off. Then when she turns to the camera and looks creepy, that is cool and artistic. The rest of the movie was typical crap. Better crap than a lot of new crap, but still crap.
P.S. I watched The Beyond again and it is becoming one of my fave horror films (next to Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2). Good god I love that movie. The tin set is awesome.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

M

MaxY

Brad,
Well, like I said it is not great though I did not find it as awful as you did. :)
You did not even like the one scene of extreme gore when they Vamps met up with the Partiers?
Tony,
Actually I think you will find several Hammer fans in here. I think that if you go to page one of this thread and click into part one you will find several mentions of Hammer Films in the first 16 pages of this topic.
wink.gif

edited in later
Whoops that did not seem clear.
If you go to page one of this thread the first post has a link back to the original part one of the is thread that is 16 pages deep. Yes We allow Hammer talk here.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

[Edited last by MaxY on October 01, 2001 at 06:13 PM]

TonyRyan

Grip
Thanks I will do that.
I have been lurking and that was my Fav. thread for a while so I followed it. But I will check.
Anyhoo I just watched Forsaken and I agree the scene you were talking about was quite cool. But the movie on a whole sorta lacked.
It's better than Dracula 2000 though.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I haven't seen The Forsaken, but I'll add it to my rental queue. But if we want to talk vampires, then I suggest Modern Vampires. It's got humor, blood, nudity (and even a shot of a very nice behind courtesy of Caspar van Dien for me to enjoy), violence, sex, and a bunch of other stuff that ensures it will never get a Tasteful Movie of the Year award
laugh.gif
Or even an R rating :)
Rod Steiger plays a Nazi van Helsing who's on the hunt for vampires in LA. However, at this time there is also a rogue vampire brutally killing and completely out of control. Meanwhile, Van Dien shows up to visit his vampire buddies even though he had a major falling out with the master of the city.
Ignore the cover art on this DVD which makes it look like a crummy Blade ripoff. This is anything but. This is a fun and crude vampire movie that should feel right at home in the libraries of most of us here. The cast is obviously having a great time, and so will all who watch it.
------------------
My DVDs
"Well, that's it then. You must have tripped over the cat."
"Where did it come from? There's nothing up there but ceiling. I love how these animals just fall straight into your hands. I mean, what do they do? Hang upside-down by their claws and wait for people to pass by?"

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Gotta love those vampires.
icon14.gif
Julie, I'm going to have to keep that one in mind the next week or so.
I havn't seen any thing of theres but I am about to get a large some of money (around 6 or 700$) and was thinking of putting 200 into a good Hammer collection.
Now if that's not an invitation to spend someone's money, I don't know what is!
laugh.gif
Welcome aboard, Tony. :)
I don't know much about Hammer titles, save for their reputation for atmosphere. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are supposed to have made substantial contributions to this studio's work.
Along with the Hammer titles, you may wish to look into the Argento collection currently available from Anchor Bay Entertainment. In particular, I recommend Opera. From there, certainly look into Deep Red, Tenebre, and Suspiria. I'm betting that this order will get you hooked. heh heh.
Also, look to The Beyond (ahem) when considering zombie movies. Of course, there is Night of the Living Dead, or Dawn of the Dead, which I prefer over Night. I have a copy of Demons that I will watch tomorrow night -- or tonight, depending on how bad the Monday Night game is. :)
Christina -- You have quite a project there!
icon14.gif
Very interesting. Please be sure to let us know how the script and your move/school is going.
------------------
Best, Sam

TonyRyan

Grip
Sam,
Thanks, I guess I forgot to say what I like and own. I am an Argento nut I have all the Anchor Bay Argento titles and love 'em all. As for The Beyond I think I will look into buying that. (tin or reg.?) I don't have any Fulci and have never seen any of his stuff. What is a good intro to him? I like all three of the Dead movies and Evil Dead too.
So now you know about me. (as if you wanted too)
Tony Ryan

Brad_W

Screenwriter
You did not even like the one scene of extreme gore when they Vamps met up with the Partiers?
__________________________________________________ _______
Well, okay. I do admit I liked that. I am a sucker for gore. :)
------------------

M

MaxY

Tony,
First off the Best Fulci films to get IMO are Zombie, The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead if you like Dawn of the Dead Flesh Eating zombie type stuff and New York Ripper if you prefer a Maniac approach.
Now you say you like Argento and have all his Anchor Bay DVDs. I am going to guess you are including Demons/DemonsII because they are sold in the Argento Collection because he produced them but they were directed by Lamberto Bava the Son of Mario. It you really want to see a Cool Slasher movie check out A Blade In The Dark by Lamberto Bava.
BTW Guys I finally got around to seeing Demons II.
While not as strong a story line as Demons it was almost every bit as fun and over the top.
BTW Beware The Beyond is sold under another name for dirt cheap but it is a hacked up POS version of the movie. It is like $5.99 at Best buy and called "The Seven Doors" or something like that.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

[Edited last by MaxY on October 01, 2001 at 09:25 PM]

TonyRyan

Grip
Demons 2 is way cool and fun. Demons is still better IMHO.
Fulci will be in my next big Horror spree can't wait.
I recently watched A Blade In The Dark (while a year ago) and it freaked me out. I love it.
Speaking of Demons whatever happend to Lamberto Bava? He could of (and maybe does) had a good carrer?

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Sam....well my computers not working right lately since a virus hit it & we gotta call someone to come & fix it. So i have'nt been able to get any new writting done,but have jotted down tons of stuff in a notebook & will add on when i can. At least i have a rough draft + the first half of a new more felshed out draft saved on disk.
So i stuck on webtv for now in case your wondering how i post,lol.
Anyway...... The Seven Doors of Death dvd by Diamond Entertainment is UNCUT!! if your wondering. I used to have that dvd,just to check out the movie since i'm not a huge Fulci n & wasn't sure if the movie was good or not. It runs 80mn & was taken from a uncut PAL LD,but it is complete from what i've been told & the movie was gory ect. Also the movie turned out to be much better than i expected + for a Fucli movie as well,that i bought The Beyond Tin full price & it was worth it :) Havent watched it yet,but will sometime & got rid of my Diamond edition.
Last night i had a depressing double feature......
Pink Floyd:The Wall- not horror i know,but still a dark & amazing movie about a rock star going into madness & beyond. Great soundtrack ,sounded awsome in 5.1 + looked incredily in 2:35 widescreen. First time seeing the movie this way & WOW :) ( i got this from joining the Columbia House dvd club)
Maniac- has gotten alot of criticysm lately on the board,yet is really a good,very dark,disturbing & unpleasent movie that made my stomach ache & feel like throwing up when it was all over. I've seen it 2 times before, & it's still a unsettling experiance. Great dvd btw.
Well i think i'm gonna watch something more upbeat(like National Lampoon's Animal House) next time,lol,then get back to horror.

M

MaxY

Tony,
I think Lamberto Bava started to work mostly in Italian TV. I remember reading in the notes on one of his DVDs that he really found he did not like filming the core filled scenes and that it disturbed him.
Not sure maybe a quick run over to IMDB is in order.
Christina,
I was pretty sure that the Seven Doors DVD was an R rated cut. I could be wrong though. In any Case the Anchor Bay version of the Beyond is the one to get because of a better transfer and what not.
Edited in a few mins later
Christina,
I just Checked the Seven Doors version is listed as being R with a runtime of 80mins. AB's Beyond is unrated with a runtime of 89mins. 9mins is huge in a movie like that. The stats came from the covers of the respective DVDs.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

[Edited last by MaxY on October 02, 2001 at 04:42 AM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Brad --
I often see the "uncut" version of Lord of Illusions on store shelves. Is the substance (story, scenes) different from the VHS copy? I really liked that movie when I first saw it. Is that iron mask scene a reference to Bava's Black Sunday? I've been wanting to get Black Sunday, but I simply do not trust Image's Bava collection.
------------------
Best, Sam

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Diamond Entertainmen has put the R rating tag on all of it's dvd including Pieces(a crappy movie) & House By The Cemetary(taken from a uncut PAL LD again!) yet are uncut.
The 80nm running time was probably because it was never converted into NTSC.
+ the real R rated cut of Seven Doors has a different cheesier credit sequence with alternate crappier music + Fulci is credited as Louis Fuller!! This can be found on the AB version as a easter egg.
The diamond version has the same credit sequence/music as The Beyond with only the title changed.
So i assume it's uncut since theres no way the gore would've been left in like it was with the cenorship happy MPAA of the 80's.
Ill watch the AB version sometime & see if theres any difference & let you know.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Just watched House on the Edge of the Park. It was the German region 2 PAL DVD. I won't comment on the story as I don't want to give away what little there is, although I should have seen the ending coming, it was a nice surprise.
The disc doesn't look so hot though. I'm one that never notices mpeg artifacts, but if you can't see them on this disc then you're blind! Looks like it was taken from an SVCD copy! Sound had numerous drop outs but it was still watchable. Tons of T&A though! Even a few 'man ass' shots for the ladies out there. How can you not like a movie with a bald chick in it!

TonyRyan

Grip
Just watched Demons again and I don't really remeber it being that gory. It doesn't shy away and I like that. I was gonna listen to the commentary but I decided to watch the movie instead.
Anyone pick up that Boogyman disk. I did and I wasn't too keen on it. Good idea bad disk. The scenes end to soon
frown.gif

M

MaxY

Ok Last night I checked out the Boogymen DVD.
Cool idea but could have been done a little better. Overall I thought is was kinf of cool. I turned on the trivia notes.
Basically they show one scene of each psycho doing their stuff.
I did notice something odd though. In the end credits they listed credits for Jack Frost 2 yet Jack Frost was not mentioned nd no clip was shown of him. What gives? Is this dvd edited from another source that had more Boogymen?
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I often see the "uncut" version of Lord of Illusions on store shelves. Is the substance (story, scenes) different from the VHS copy?
Sam, I am a huge Barker fan and Lord of Illusions is one of my top three faves. As far as the VHS Vs. DVD goes, get the DVD because it has Deleted scenes not in the vhs version (as extras, not in the feature) running time of both VHS and DVD is 2 hours and 1 minute, Barker commentary, isolated music score, trailer, and 8-page booklet. The lame thing about the booklet is that they count the cover and back as pages.
I wonder if we'll ever see a special edition of Candyman with a 5.1 mix and commentary. A commentary track on Nightbreed would've been nice too. The funny thing about Barker is that on the Hellraiser commentary, he said he won't be directing anymore and just stick to writing. Now he is directing a movie for Nickelodeon (which is going to be a series after the film on Nick) and two more movies based on his books. That is cool though and I'm not complaining one bit. I know you just wanted to know about the dvd vs. vhs, but I used it as an excuse to write about Clive.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks