What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question: Anyone else here have trouble getting "Dagon" or "Devil's Backbone" at an online retailer because of lack of stock/backorder issues? On the one hand, it's great that these titles are, apparently, so popular, on the other, it's bloody frustrating, because I want to watch the discs!!!

I ordered mine from North American DVD (who I don't usually use, but they had the best online price at the time), and both DVDs are "on order" with no definite ship date. DVDSoon has subsequently posted lower prices (only $8.27 for Dagon!!!), but lists both titles as "on order". Aaargh!

Any advice? Thanks,

-- Bob P.

P.S. (No sarcasm now, Chris, for my not getting back to you quickly enough when you had access to some early copies of Dagon! Definitely my loss!) :b

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
is the region 1 AUDITION anamorphic?

also, what about the region 0 NTSC "RING" that's popping up on ebay? is that 16:9??

James D

Second Unit
The region 1 version of Audition is not anamorphic. The transfer is quite mediocre, but I thought the content of the movie justified the purchase.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Hello? Where is everyone?

Oh well. I'll bump this to say I have a few of the Tartan Battle Royale NTSC 5.1 DVDs to trade or sell. All sealed. HKFlix and Poker sell them for $35 + Shipping = $38-$40. I'll sell them for what I paid for them $31.50 SHIPPED.

I also heard Dagon has a Spanish 2-DVD release. Any details?

I also got the new Hideo Nakata (Ring) DVD of Dark Water. It's R3 and haven't watched it yet. Anyone have anything to say on it?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Watched The Devil's Backbone this summer. Its a Spanish ghost story. Not gory but still a very good story. Reccommended.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
Bizarre....I cant believe I missed this thread as most of my movie viewing is of this genre..I skimmed over the 30 odd pages..some amusing stuff...I was watching "From Hell"

for the second time the other day. the first time I watched "From Hell" I thought it sucked big time I was expecting a horror movie and it just did not seem like a horror movie although horrible things happed albeit not very graphically

and it caused me to wonder just what is a horror movie these days??

asian cinema?? like "untold story" good gore but overall boring no sense of dread..I find most of the extreme asian stuff boring although graphic

German exploitation flix like "violent sh$t" or "nekromantic" sick stuff for sure....

The latest hollywood blockbusters (term used loosely) like "Blade II" fun movie but again no sense of dread..

dont get me wrong I dig this genre but it is getting harder and harder to find quality horror.note quality does not mean big budget...

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Been a while. :)
Need help finding a DVD. All I remember is this scene where a woman has part of her head removed so that the doctor might put in another brain. I think it's his wife's brain, but I can't remember the motivation. The cover has an illustrated picture of the woman's face from the forehead down with a small trickle of blood streaking down her forehead. Very creepy movie.
Forgot to mention that I saw Dagon and really enjoyed it. It's campy, but there are some great scenes. Plus I love that ending. It actually inspired me to go back and read

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I also got the new Hideo Nakata (Ring) DVD of Dark Water. It's R3 and haven't watched it yet. Anyone have anything to say on it?
Saw this movie a couple of days ago, a bit atmospheric, but nowhere as good or as creepy as RING. Halfway through the movie I already knew the 'location' of the 'dead body/ghost' and the ending went on for far too long.

If you want to see a really creepy Chinese horror, check out 'THE EYE' directed by the Pang Brothers. Not a lot of blood and gore, but a lot of creepy goings on and good photography.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am new here, and really enjoying this thread. Is there a new one out there that covers similar ground? Are any of you (Sam, Julie, et al) still out there?

Jacob

TedT

Second Unit
Yay! This thread is back from the dead!

Beyond Re-Animator comes out 12/30! Can't wait!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I hear you Ted, I'm anxiously awaiting that title myself. I think I will start a new thread on the topic of horror films on DVD for anyone out there that is interested. The thread will be open to reviews of horror DVD's, new release news, thoughts on the genre's treatment on DVD etc. I will name the thread "Horror on DVD Discussion". Please stop by and lets make it a great thread!

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks