What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
The Director's Cut of Lord of Illusions is even better than the theatrical cut i think.
It fleshe's out the story more,makes more senses & just add's to the whole experiance. Gorewise it's uncensored,but there wasn't "that" much gore cut from the R rated version(at least thats how it looked to me).
I'm also a huge fan of this movie and thought it was one of the best, scariest & intriguing horror movies released in years!
My fave Barker movie of all time though would have to be NightBreed. It's amazing & i hope to god that the original uncut version is released someday. Rumor has it a uncut S.E. may be released next year!! Thats whats been reported on various websites & even Clive says that. Hope it's true :)

M

MaxY

Clive Barker was on Pollitically Incorrect last night.
Just thought I would toss that out there.... :)
The LofI DVd is a pretty damn nice DVD.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Lord of Illusions is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time. It is definitely Barker's best film in my book. Nix is an awesome villain, one of the best ever conceived. The unrated version is definitely better than the rated. The DVD is just great, and is probably my favorite DVD from MGM. LOI is an underrated classic in my opinion, and is not to be missed.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys and Gals!
We all have our fave/pet project petitions (Friday 13th, Motel Hell, &c.), but what are your top five musts? I'm not referring to re-doing currently available titles into SE titles... just which ones are not currently available, but should be available.
Off the opt of my head, I'd have to say
Return of the Living Dead
I really want that one. I'll post more as they pop into my head.
------------------
Best, Sam

M

MaxY

I would really like Return of the Living Dead and ROTLD II in the bloodiest goreiest versions possible. :)
BTW Guys I got a book in the mail today from Sam and wow this thing looks cool. It is Called ...
Gore Score 2001: The Splatter Years
I have only just started to look through it but it seems an attempt to rate movies in a two part system, one for quality of movie and one for the amount of gore. I think this one is going to be come a tool for DVD Hunts.
Thanks Sam.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Again, I LOVE Lord of Illusions and yes, Nix is an awesome character. I am curious though, why would D'mour (or however you spell his name) be in this movie when he was originally introduced in Everville (and possibly The Great and Secret Show, it's been a while and I can't remember).
Anyway, I just got a confirmation that LFVW.com is sending my Cannibal Holocaust DVD. In case you didn't read my thread about this company, I got the package the other day and upon opening it:
1. I found the DVD case NOT shrinkwrapped.
2. There was NO DVD in the case.
I hope to have it soon, I was pretty pissed when I opened the box.
I also hope to have my Opra Limited Edition DVD soon from AB. Anyone else recieve theirs yet?
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Ah, if I only had more copies to send to my friends on this thread! :) Let us know what you think of his opinions!
Brad --
I don't follow Barker's work that closely, but I think I'm going to pick-up Lord of Illusions. It has the coolest vibe. I haven't got my Opera replacement yet, but I wouldn't expect it too soon. It sounds like a major project, and I'm hoping that they don't get a lot of bogus requests.
frown.gif

My Opera works fine though. I played it again the other night. I still think this is my favourite of the four Argentos I've seen.
I'm real sorry to hear about your LMVW.com experience. I actually couldn't get through the first graphic. Let us know if you've resolved the issue. Gad, I hate hearing these kinds of stories.
Anchor Bay has announced two-fer Fulci packs, which I am pumped about. I'm a bit bummed that I don't have a multi region player. Many have recommended the Italian Shock NY Ripper, and I found it
here. It's pretty cheap; I think it's under $15.00 US. For those interested, it looks like a good bargain.
Tony -- It isn't clear whether or not it's cut. Leonard shMaltin has this to say (for what it's worth):
"A very different approach from the first two entries results in a serious thriller about a teenager who uses the zombie gas to resurrect his girlfriend, with horrendous results. An intelligent, gruesomely imaginative (especially regarding bodily decoration), and tragic love story, but it doesn't know when to quit."
Christina -- I saw your Opera post, and recommend that you do make the purchase if you've got the cash on hand. I would consider the number of online complaints signifigant, but not overly important. There appear to be a few who also got good discs. It's only a slight risk, if that, because buying it from BB will allow you to return it if it is defective, &c.. Plus, you can always sign up for a replacement whther your copy works or not.
Brains... brains... :)
------------------
Best, Sam
Edit -- Fixed link
blush.gif

[Edited last by Samuel Des on October 03, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I watched Demons tonight. Kick ass!
icon14.gif
Nothing like the walking dead oozing pus and blood.
I was wondering if someone could tell me why all of the Italian horror that I've been watching lately is badly dubbed. Is it as simple as they didn't bother to record synched dialogue while filming and planned to dub it all during ADR? Or is it more complicated than that? It just seems a bit strange that, in films such as Suspiria where so much energy was spent to make the video look extravagant (successfully so, I might add), and yet the dialogue is always off. Just curious about that.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Greg (He of modest HT, but of large Member
laugh.gif
)
From what I've read in the Suspiria booklet, all audio was intentionally dubbed to English to increase market appeal, &c. I don't think they even recorded the original dialogue. Apparently, they were still building sets while parts of Suspiria were being shot!
------------------
Best, Sam

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Anyone here besides me a HUGE fan of The Hitcher? This film is so damn great and creepy. Rutger Hauer delivers his best performance ever in this film. The score is good and eerie, and I love the rural desert setting. This film has several brilliant scenes. The part where the poor police dog was sadly licking his dead master was quite disturbing to me. This film is a classic, and like Lord of Illusions, is also one of my top 5 favorite films. Anyone else here love this classic?

M

MaxY

Greg,
As mentioned earlier in the thread...The way they do it is let all the acotrs speak in their native tongue and do not record the dialogue at the time then dub it in to each language they are going to market it in.
You get used to it Greg. :)
BTW It is a real kick ASS fun flick isn't it. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The Lord of Illusions disc does kick ass. It was one of the first DVDs I bought. :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Max:
You are absolutely incorrect on this. Seven Doors of Death aka the Beyond released on VHS, was a hacked nasty a%% version of the Beyond.
However, the Diamond DVD version called "Seven Doors of Death" happens to be the uncut version (same as AB). The quality of course isn't the same; but... it might be good investment if you are unsure of your taste in Fulci.
The same goes for there version of "House by The Cemetary," which was just ripped from the LD.

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Saw LOST HIGHWAY yesterday.
This is one piece of art, and VERY VERY disturbing.
David Lynch also was responsable for Twin Peaks, and that is definitly seen on Lost Highway.
If you really want to be scared than the first 30 minutes of the movie will do that for you, after that the story takes on more a twilight zone kind of way, but still very good.
A real number one.
Greetings from Holland,
Frank
PS.
The englisch version of return of the living death has a decent transfer, don't know if it's uncut (will look into that). Great thread.

M

MaxY

Chris,
I have never watched the Seven Doors DVD. I was just going by the info they have on the box.
The Box clearly says R and lists the running time as nearly a full 10 mins less then the AB version.
If what you are saying is true....Then the Seven Doors version might just be a great value to someone who does not have a widescreen capable TV.
I can say I did get Pieces from the same company and it was listed as R rated but after having watched it I wondered how the heck did that get an R.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen The Hitcher since it came out in the theaters. It is one of my favourite movies. I have very, ahem, fond memories of it.
I didn't know it was out on DVD from HBO. (in DD 5.1) There are some truly gruesome scenes in that flick, even that one off camera Spoiler:the one where the girl is torn apart via the two trucks. I might pick it up.
Greg, do you have this on DVD? How does it look?
------------------
Best, Sam

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I think this The Hitcher is easily one of the most disturbing movies of the 1980s not made by David Lynch. It's just terrific from credits to credits.
icon14.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
As I said, The Hitcher is one of my top 5 favorite films, so you can bet your ass I have the DVD. The transfer is pretty good, although it could be a bit better. I was really disappointed that this DVD had absolutely NO extras. I treasure this film, and would truly love to see some extras! It rather pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks