What's new
World Wide Stereo

Home Theater For Music (1 Viewer)

molski

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Greetings,

I have a couple questions about purchasing a home theater system. I am very new to home theaters and would ultimately like to use this for movies and music. I have a ps3 and LG hdtv.

With music, I have most of my music on a 700gb portable hard drive. How easy is this to set up on your receiver and to have it easily organized? Is it easiest just running your music through your PS3 or is there a better way?

Also, my living room is 12X20. I have a budget of around $1,000 for speakers and receiver. Not sure exactly the route to take but was looking into some 5.1 speakers by energy or mirage; they look pretty cool for being so small. Any good suggestions on speakers and receiver? Thanks and glad I found this forum. I have been trying to read as much as possible.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brandon,

Does your USB drive contains lossy files (mp3, wma, etc.). If so, keep in mind that the better your gear the worse these types of files will sound. Better speakers reveal all the flaws in lossy music while cheap speakers tend to hide them (the speakers sound bad to start with so you can't tell how bad your compressed music is).

Also, it doesn't matter that they look cool, it matters how they sound to you. I may like them or hate them, it does not matter. Only you can decide what you like.

molski

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Thanks for the quick replies. I pulled the trigger this morning on energy 5.1 mini speakers and a yamaha receiver. I do have a lot of music at 320 mp3 but also a lot in flac. Most of my music is in 320 played through iTunes on my laptop. I guess I was just wondering if anyone knows a good way to keep ones library organized and still be able to sound good without losing too much quality wise being that they are compressed. Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks