What's new
World Wide Stereo

Hk Avr 630 (1 Viewer)

728x90

Steve Adams

Second Unit
wendy, what models do best buy have? if they have 5760 it's worth having a listen too. from the reports here, they are great. I have heard the marantz receivers they are very very good, much like a NAD. sounds are full and eveloping!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The Klipsch References are quite high sensitivity, so you get more SPL with less power from your receiver. Never heard them and I won't be able to now that I think Kromer Radio doesn't carry them anymore.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Wendy, do you have an option for an external amp through your receiver? maybe it sounds like you need to up your equipment to seperates if you want more punch. not that receivers dont get loud, but how many receivers have 200 watts per channel? just a suggestion. PS could you possibly list your concert DVDs?

I have :
Rage against the machine
Woodstock (uncut)
Allman Bros (Beacon Theater)
Allmon Bros (I forgot)
Grateful Dead (view from the Valt I-IV)
Peter Gabriel (Secret World)
Pink Floyd (pompei)

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
I know alot of people have suggested that I get an external amp but dayum........I should be able to buy a receiver at a reasonable price to satisfy my needs.
20 years ago I bought my first stereo. The amp was a Yamaha integrated 85W/ch hooked up to moderately crappy speakers.......that thing would rock the place!!!

I don't have very many concert DVD's......yet.
My husband gives me a dirty look every time I put one in. LOL
U2-Home
David Gilmour
Rolling Stones-4 flicks
Eagles-Hell Freezes Over
Springsteen-Live in NYC
Springsteen-Live in Barcelona
Springsteen-a couple dozen unofficial-too many to remember or list
Justin Timberlake-gag me-it's my kid's-she doesn't even watch it LOL
Avril Lavigne-semigag me-my kid's

I have a few music related DVD's that aren't concerts
Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon
Warren Zevon-Inside Out
Springsteen-Video Anthology
Springsteen-Blood Brothers

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
should be able to and able to are very different things nowadays. IMHO - there are some really nice receivers that can put out alot of power. But most non flagship receivers
have been "economically engineered".

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
I had to go out last night.
My husband started playing with my toy. GRRRRR
I had all the speakers set to 0dB so the volume was able to go to +10dB. He discovered that the volume goes past that......it just doesn't register on the display. I'm not impressed. Now I have to give a good listen and see if he damaged my speakers. Goof!!
His philosophy is that manufacturers should not be producing something that can malfunction when put to the test.....ie....it shouldn't be possible to blow your speakers or damage your amp from turning it up too loud. Goof!!
He claims that if your speakers are getting too much juice, there is a relay in them that will shut them down. True or not????
He still will not believe that I ruined my brand new Infinity Alpha 50's by cranking my crappy Pioneer receiver to distortion and beyond.
Is there a receiver out there that comes with parental control.......so I can lock him out!!!!! LOLOLOL

Drew_W

Screenwriter
No, there's nothing in the speakers that'll shut them off. You'll strain them until you blow something.

Careful with the Yamahas though, they can produce quite an unpleasant sound with the Athenas. You'll have to see what you think, but that was my experience. Maybe they changed something this model year...we'll see.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Wendy, The local store that sells yammie here just picked up athena as well. Im going to go listen to tell you what I think....sound good? pardon the pun!

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve.
Don't go out of your way, but another opinion is always good to have.

One of the stores I was at suggested that I bring my HK in to compare it to the the Yamaha 1400 or 2400.
I thought they were nuts, because that will not tell me what the 2400 will sound like with my speakers.
Now last night my husband said he thought that was a good idea. It would be comparing apples to apples.......it would show me how the HK performed in comparison to the Yamaha.........side by side.
They would use a speaker switching thing, so it would be easier to compare......as opposed to connecting and disconnecting and trying to remember what the first one sounded like. You get my drift.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yes, BUT the problem of you not hearing it with your speakers still applies. Find a store with an in-home trial policy. Most higher end dealers will loan you the floor model overnight, and that's precisely what happened when I was buying the Rotel amp I now have. Sure, it sounded great hooked up to Dynaudio and B&W speakers, but there was no way of knowing how it would sound with *MY* speakers in *MY* room (and this is especially important for acoustic reasons).

Surely SOMEONE that sells Yamaha will let you take one home to try. I still hold firm to the idea of that in the price range of the 630 here in Canada, you could get a lot more for your money...or something in the same class for a lot LESS money.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
That was my original thinking too Drew.
Knowing the HK outdoes the Yamaha or vice versa on 5K worth of speakers doesn't help me in determining which receiver is more suited to my setup.
Considering my options though (ie taking the HK back and being stuck with the Yamaha) it's better than nothing.
I don't see the Athena's being my main speakers for the long haul anyways, not after hearing those Klipsch!!!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Steve, I have a similar option at the Best Buy stores where I live. Unfortunately, the Yamaha receiver that drives the listening station in the store looks like a 3 or 4 year old Yamaha. Granted, it can't be all that bad, but I'd sure love to year the Athena speakers with a newer receiver pushing them.

DaveThomas

Grip

You're not kidding. Not knocking Athenas, but I heard the RXV-1400 with some Reference Klipsch last weekend, and I wanted to take everything home. Luckily the salespeople were fairly non-helpful and rude, they were too busy with a couple planning a nice home theater in their new home.

The Klipsch/Yamaha sounded fantastic together. Makes me wish I was just starting to buy a complete setup...

The new Yamahas do have the room EQ feature, so if it sounded a little bright with the Athenas, you could use the EQ to compensate.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Wendy. the Klipsch are very very nice. they have the 2400 here and It's a store that we build the buildings for them. So im always over there so it's no big deal. I will let you know what I think...I know how H/K sounds so I can give a pretty good analysis..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks