What's new

HK 525 and Pioneer 43tx questions (1 Viewer)

ChristianS

Grip
Hello everyone,

I am currently shopping around and have narrowed my search to a new Pioneer Elite 43tx or a refurb HK 525. I have listened to each and like both, but am a bit confused as to which one will be better. My current speaker setup is as follows:

Fronts -- Klipsch SF2's
Center -- Klipsch SC1
Surrounds -- Klipsch SS1's
Sub -- JBL PSW1000

As I said, I have listed to both receivers running Klipsch Reference series speakers, but not the Synergy series speakers. My reason for upgrading is the brightness that results when pairing my speakers with my current Yamaha receiver (HTR-5460). From a brightness point of view, I have assumed that the Reference and Synergy speakers will be the same, but please correct me if I am wrong. The system is used primarily for television and movies with only a bit of music mixed in (ratio -- 95% HT, 5% music).

I have come up with several questions that I would like your advice on.

1. The 43tx is rated at 100 WPC and the HK at 70. I know that HK underestimates the WPC, but I don't know what the Pioneer will deliver. My room is only about 12' x 15' so I don't necessarily need the power, but it is nice to have in reserve should the system ever get moved to a larger room. My question, is what is the actual WPC put out by the 43tx when driving all 7 channels?

2. The 43tx does not state that it is capable of DTS 6.1 matrix, only 6.1 discrete. Is this true, and if so, is it something that should sway me toward the 525 (as it is capable of both)?

3. When I upgrade to one of these two receivers, I will be adding two rear surround speakers. I would like to stay with the Synergy series speakers, but don't know which speaker to choose. Should I go with a pair of SS1s or a pair of SC1s? (Sorry for asking this question here instead of the speaker section, but it seemed to fit with this thread)

4. A new 43tx is going to run me around $500 while a refurb 525 will run around $600. I have never had very good luck with refurbs in the past and would like to avoid a refurb 525, but will take the plunge if you all have had good luck with refurb HK's.

5. Finally, a general question as to which of the two receivers you would purchase if faced with the choice (taking all factors into consideration) and why?

Thank you very much for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have recently just bought the H/K 525, and I am very impress with the quality of the sound. It sounds so soothing and crisp, unlike the bright and harsh sound of my old high end yamaha receiver. Trust me, with 70 Watts of power, it can go really loud without distortion.
I have tried it with both movies and musics. They both sounds very good, but you have to get the crossover settings in the H/K receiver right for it to sound even better. I really suggests a good subwoofer for this receiver as many of the other channel's bass sound will be sent to the Sub. I am currently looking for a good subwoofer myself. It will vastly increase the sound quality for the HT.
I paid over US$900 for my H/K since I live in Australia. But let me tell you, even at that price I think that every penny is worth it.

Plus I see that you got klipsch speakers, which from what I heard with everyone is a perfect match for H/K receiver.
I hope that this will help you to decide. you won't be dissapointed.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
1.) The Pioneer will deliver plenty of power, but not sure the exact number, especially w/ 7 channels driven. The elite amps are pretty well regarded, and as a fair comparison, the 49TX rated at 130wpc actually delivers 147wpc.

2.) The 43TX is capable of both discrete and matrix DTS-ES material.

3.) SB1s would be my choice, but I don't really care for dipole/bipole surrounds. They're also cheaper. the THX standard (which i don't really buy into much, but just for argument sake) calls for a pair of monopole back surrounds and dipole side surrounds. This would make the SB1s perfect for the application.

4.) The great thing about refurbished HK stuff is it carries the same 5 year manufacturers warranty as the new stuff. HK also sells alot of refurb stuff direct through ebay, which can save you some money AND you still get the 5yr warranty that way too. Do a search for harmanaudio on ebay.

5.) I would purchase the 43TX, in-fact I did and love it. If I were you, I would get the 525. Klipsch speakers are notoriously bright and the warm sound of the 525 would help to combat that. I have speakers that are already slightly warm (Swan's Divas), so the neutral sound of the 43TX was a good match for me. If you like the really bright sound, then the 43TX may be the better match. If you're not too picky about the bright/warm sound, do a feature comparison and pick the unit w/ the features you like.

Hope this helps... Good luck :)

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator

Stephen, H/K receivers have a 2 year warranty unless something changed in the last week :)

My vote goes to the H/K :) I just bought a 325 and am extremely happy with it.
Mike Allen

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I own Klipsch speakers myself and use a HK AVR-225 with my setup. I love it and couldn't be any happier, get the HK, you won't be disapointed.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I owned the HK AVR 520 and then just switched to the Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX, I know it's not the 43TX, but still, I like the Elite more. The sound seems more pronounced and detailed, a little brighter but not a bad thing. I guess you can say it's just more detailed now and I love it. Both receivers are amoung the best so either way you go it won't be a bad choice, it just matters what your ears like. HK and Elite are my favorites, I know I will own another HK someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks