What's new

43tx vs 53tx MCACC questions? (1 Viewer)

ChristianS

Grip
Hello again,

After reading your responses to my last post, I decided to go out and listen to the HK 525 and Pioneer 43tx again. I have decided to go with the Elite rather than the 525 (I just like the sound a bit more), but have a few more questions regarding the 43tx and 53tx. Basically, I see the only major difference (I'm not concerned about USB inputs) as being the auto/manual MCACC. I don't mind setting up the system myself, as I have always done so in the past, but would like the convenience of auto calibration. However, I have read that the auto MCACC generally sets the fronts to large rather than small. I currently have a Yamaha 5460 receiver and have found that I get better performance when setting the fronts to small. My initial question is whether the difference in receiver quality (5460 v 53tx) will allow me to run the fronts set to large, or if I will still be better off running them on small? If the receiver quality will not make a difference and I have to manually set the fronts to small, will I have to then manually tweak the system to acheive ideal results? Basically, I am wondering if auto calibration is worth it ($200 price difference) if I will have to adjust the MCACC settings manually once it has automatically configured the front speaker setting to large. Hopefully this was clear enough. If not let me know and I will update the post. Oh yes, my current system is:

Fronts -- Klipsch SF2's
Center -- Klipsch SC1
Surrounds -- Klipsch SS1's
Sub -- JBL PSW1000
Receiver -- Yamaha 5460
Room size -- ~15x15

Thank you!!!!

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
In general you're better off with the fronts set to small, and if you don't mind running through the MCACC setup then why spend the extra dough on the 53TX? right?

I just bought a 43TX myself for under $500 and am very pleased. :)

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Justin. The main benefit of going with the 53tx is that the receiver does the calibrating for you. If you are confident in your skill enough so that you think you can equal that setting manually, then go for it and save some money. If not, buy the 53tx let it do the equalization and such and then manually change the speakers to small or large based on your preference. All the receiver would do from that point is redirect low-end frequencies based on your setting, not reset everything else it has figured out for you.

Don

ChristianS

Grip
Thanks for the info so far guys. I understand that by changing the speaker setting from large to small, it redirects the low frequencies to the sub. However, by doing that, does it throw off the EQ settings such that it will require a manual adjustment?

Steve F M

Screenwriter
No you can let the calibration go through its thing and after it is done and change the speaker setting to (Mains=Small) it will not screw up the calibration one bit.

By the way I would go with the 45TX if you can find one on Ebay or Audiogon.com. They usually go for about $600-$650 and is pretty much the same receiver as the 53TX

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've never had any problem getting speaker levels accurately set with AVIA and the Radio Shack meter.

That being said, the automatic MCACC is a huge improvement over anything I've ever been able to accomplish with meters and test tones. I had a Sony 333es with more flexible (but manual) eq features than my current 45tx.

Hours of tweaking with AVIA and meter did not do nearly as good a job as MCACC did in 6 minutes.

I also like my fronts set to small, and MCACC did indeed set them to large. Manually resetting them to small took a minute and had no negative effect on the eq.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
I also went through the agonizing, etc. a while back, right as the 53s & 55s became available (and like 90+ percent of all of us who go through this, of course I didn't absolutely need the new box, either). With a kid starting college, etc. I had finally made the "mature" decision and essentially given up on getting anything: the 55s are just too expensive for what's mostly a 45, the 45s are probably the ideal choice but generally unavailable, the 53s really seem like mostly a 43 w/ MCACC for $$$ more, etc. I decided to stand pat but occasionally still watched on EBay & A-Gon. Son of a gun, a 43 appeared for $400 & I got lucky (and the 43).

I also got lucky on an additional pair of surrounds, and after parking for a while w/ Avia and playing Manual CACC'er I can honestly say that it is one heck of a bump up. Is it worth the money? For $400 - absolutely! Do I still wish I had found a 45 for a similar deal? Absolutely, again!!!

The 43 does just fine - the remote is adequate, the setup wasn't all that painful and I really can't say that MCACC would have been 100% better, but I really think most everything sounds better now (about $400 better ;-). But (and there's always a butt) I've played w/ a 45 and would still like one. I'll live w/ the 43 and be very happy, but will probably always be a bit of a jerk and have a bit of 45 lust. Or maybe 65 lust in a couple of years - it never ends...

If you can handle the wait and lurk for a while on EBay, AudioGon, etc. you can probably get lucky, too. If you can find a 45 at a great price, go for it. Then maybe you won't have (much) 65 lust in a couple of years or whenever Pioneer comes out with their next models.

Good luck! I don't think you can lose with any of your choices - they'd all be great. Steve is right about MCACC, though - in minutes it will do the job and then you can do the semi-mandatory manual tweak just 'cause and then be thrilled w/ the receiver for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks