What's new

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD - A REVIEW (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
58.jpg

Douglas Adams' masterpiece presented in a lovely 2-disc DVD Set
ADMINS: While this review is based on a region 2 disc set, Region 1 will be getting this set in April, so I thought that perhaps Software was a better choice than the Regional area. Thanks.

I've been waiting for this set for at least three years. I've owned the VHS set for at least twice as long as that, and I was afraid that this BBC show would never make it to DVD.
Well not only did it make it...it is a wonderfully packed 2-disc DVD Special Edition!
I'm going to skip the preliminaries because I'm fairly sure that most everyone knows what this show was all about -- being based on Douglas Adams' bestselling novels, -- which were in turn based on Douglas Adams' award winning radio series. :)
Firstly is the packaging...it is sort of a slimmed down version of the "Fight Club", "Magnolia" type of case. However, the hubs aren't nearly as secure as they are on the others, so if this same casing is used in Region 1, I can imagine that there'll be some complaining about it.
The menus are brand new and are of course in a "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" motif, with alien hands holding the book while you make selections on the upper part.
Disc one of the 2-disc set contains all 6 episodes of the original BBC Television series that aired in 1981. The video quality looks remarkably good for the age of the source. It seemed a little soft to me, but not distracting at all. Colors were clear and well defined and though I could see some MPEG artifacting, it didn't detract from the presentation.
The sound is provided in either the original mono soundtrack or a new "remixed stereo" version. I listened to both, and the remixed stereo wil either be loved or despised. Peter Jones -- who provides the voice of the narrator -- comes either soley from the right or left speaker. His voice is not centered and it can be somewhat distracting. The actors voices and the sound effects are presented normally however. The mono track sounds clear and well defined with no real problems.
Disc 1 also offers a running "production notes", which is exactly like the "text commentaries" that we've seen on other DVD's like "The Abyss" or "Star Trek - The Original Motion Picture". It is very informative and a great addition to the disc.
Incidentally, Episodes 2,4,and 6 contain additional footage and are longer than originally broadcast.
Disc 2 is packed with special features including:
The Original Making of Hitchhiker's guide
Dont Panic! - additional making of footage
Communicate! A behind the scenes of the original radio series
Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
A TV Trailer
An anamatronics feature on Zaphod Beeblebrox
and some more...
This is an absolutely fantastic 2-disc set and everything that a Hithhiker's fan could have hoped for. It's going to be great watching these episodes again in great quality!
Region 2 disc set is available now, Region 1 is coming in April.
Grab your towel you hoopy frood and Don't Panic! The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is here.
:D
Review performed on a Malata N996 Region Free Player and a Toshiba 55" RPTV

M

MaxY

Just some comments on the soundtrack...

I have the LD which had a stereo mix on it and it does not have the narration problems you mentioned. In fact one of the few times you really notice the stereo part of it is when the doors talk while opening and closing.

I am considering picking up the R1 release when it comes up simply because I love HGTTG and want all the extras.

Glad to hear they did well with the set and I hope they refine the stereo soundtrack before our release.

Max

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know on what format this was filmed? I am interested in knowing if the R2 PAL release is affected by the 4% speedup.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Hakan, as with most British TV, it was shot on videotape. They may have used 16mm for location stuff as they did on some things back then, been a while since I've watched Hitchhiker.

Dan (UK)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can recall, the only 16mm footage comes in the first episode, as most of it was shot on location, the landing on Magrathea and the very end of the series. Other than that, it was shot on video. Since I assume that the new transfer was done from the original edited video masters, it seems safe to say that the 16mm sections will be slightly sped up from the video sections. However, since this would have been the case back in the 80's, it's the way we've always seen it in the US. :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well there is actually also the chance that, whatever 16mm there is was shot at 25fps to begin with.

Dan (UK)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Never too late to revive a thread! :)
I wonder, now that we've lived with this disc for awhile, does anyone prefer the stereo remix track?
(I definitely wouldn't say I fall in the "despise it" camp, but IMO the mono's far better.)

M

MaxY

What the heck is going on here?

Post one is missing. I did not start this thread? This is the second time I have seen this happen with an older thread this week, is something buggered up with the V-B software?

Max

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I listened to one episode with the remix and one with the original mono and prefer the mono. Having the narrator come out of the right channel (with a little bleed into the center in ProLogic mode) was most distracting, IMO.

What the heck is going on here? Post one is missing. I did not start this thread? This is the second time I have seen this happen with an older thread this week, is something buggered up with the V-B software?
Perhaps because the originator - RicP - is persona non grata now at the HTF? Maybe his posts have disappeared as well...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! What an ancient thread, but it was the only one I could find. I just upgraded this set with the Blu ray 3 disc set, and wanted to make a comment.

There is really no need to upgrade your DVDs, if you are only interested in the 6 programs, since the original source used was video tape and the Blu rays do not really look any better. What sells it however are the extras, which are two full discs, with just about everything they could possibly find. Also, it is hard to go wrong for only $19.99, which I payed at Walmart in the states!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got this Blu-Ray set. I loved the books. Reading Mr. Adams’ fanciful eloquence made me laugh out loud more often than not, a rare achievement. Other “funny” books would have me “laughing in my head.” Not these books.

This series is pretty much word-for-word much of the time, which I liked because certain passages were springing to mind anyway. The usual cheap BBC production values, but charming nevertheless. I look forward to the extras.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
When this series aired on PBS stations in 1982 it was a breath of fresh air. Douglas Adams' funky intelligent humor cut right through one's TV. Even with the advent of cable and home video I just never tracked it down. When the so-so 2005 feature film came out I promised myself to really make the effort this time.. Anyway, finally did.

The 1981 UK TV budget takes a bit to get used to and Adams' condensation of his radio series also takes an episode or two to find its space legs as it were. Simon Jones as the earthling Arthur Dent return s from the radio program as does Mark Wing-Davey as the two headed Zaphod Beeblebox, Stephen Moore as the eternally depressed robot, Marvin and, most welcome of all, Peter Jones as the Narrator/Voice of the Guide. Sandra Dickinson is the new Trillian, and her high-pitched voice has always divided fans and critics.

Once the show picks up around the third episode, it really is a good time. The Guide is like a souped up, intergalactic Wikipedia app -- but, with a much better sense of irony and wit; Not to mention being utterly British (the feature film just couldn't get the tone right). One can see why the role of the Narrator was once offered to Michael Palin. Indeed, one can imagine an alternate universe version as a Monty Python production. Think of what Terry Gilliam could have done with the creatures!

Credit here to Adams' script, Alan JW Bell's direction and the cast, including some memorable supporting performances. The Special Effects may be variable in quality, but they get the job done on a cut-rate budget. The sound work is, unsurprisingly quite solid (it did, after all, begin on the radio).

The final episode is perhaps a tad soft, but, still quite appropriate (of course, there were plans to continue, but budget and other factors intervened). What's truly amazing looking back all these years later is how many science fiction concepts and extrapolations are packed into a mere six half-hour episodes. One's mind is blown several times and it's a joy to re-visit the familiar catch-phrases such as: “The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe and Everything is 42”, “So long, thanks for all the fish”, “Don't Panic”, “Mostly Harmless” etc.

Now, I must get going, my reservation at the Restaurant At The End of the Universe is calling. I hear Disaster Area is playing.

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY is available to stream on BritBox and Hoopla (free w/library card) and for rental. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.

Attachments

• Hitch1.png
    Hitch1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks