What's new

"High And The Mighty", "Island In The Sky", Hondo & McLintock on DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here is the release from Paramount:

I should point out that this is superb news for DVD fans, as Paramount will do a great job working with the elements to provide the best possible transfers and releases.

RAH

IN A MAJOR INDUSTRY ANNOUNCEMENT
PARAMOUNT AND JOHN WAYNE’S BATJAC PRODUCTIONS SIGN WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT

-- Rare Wayne Classics to Make Way to DVD and TV
Beginning May 2005 --

HOLLYWOOD, September 8, 2004 -- Paramount Home Entertainment and Paramount’s television distribution entities have entered into an agreement with Batjac Productions, the production company founded by John Wayne, for worldwide DVD and television distribution. The agreement was announced today by Thomas Lesinski, President, Paramount Pictures, Worldwide Home Entertainment, Joel Berman, President, Paramount Worldwide Television Distribution and Gretchen Wayne, president of Batjac and wife of the actor’s late son, Michael, who owned the company for over 30 years.

Beginning in Spring 2005, Paramount will distribute a number of beloved but rarely seen John Wayne vehicles from the 1950s and 1960s, including a newly restored The High and the Mighty (1954) and Island in the Sky (1953), neither of which has previously been released on VHS or DVD. The restoration of The High and the Mighty, by Gretchen Wayne, will see the film returned to its glorious original 35mm film and presented in Stereo 5.1. Other Wayne classics making their DVD debut under the distribution pact include Hondo (1953) and “McLintock!” (1962), neither of which has been released on DVD domestically or home video internationally by Batjac. These classic films will include bonus features from Batjac’s extensive library of never-before-seen film memorabilia once they debut on DVD, including commentaries with the filmmakers and cast and featurettes on the making of the films, their subjects and their eras, incorporating new interviews and archival materials.

Paramount will also release five films for basic cable, international markets and DVD that were produced by Batjac in which John Wayne did not appear: Man in the Vault (1956), Plunder of the Sun (1953), Ring of Fear (1954), Seven Men from Now (1956) and Track of the Cat (1954).

The deal consolidates much of the home entertainment distribution of John Wayne films under one roof. Paramount’s now owns 63 Wayne titles, such as True Grit, El Dorado, Big Jake, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Donovan's Reef, Hatari! and The Sons of Katie Elder, among others. Broad integrated marketing initiatives are planned across both home entertainment and television divisions in support of the Batjac titles throughout 2005 and 2006.

“Paramount has enjoyed a wonderful relationship with John Wayne and his family for more than half a century,” said Lesinski. “With the addition of these timeless treasures to our existing John Wayne library, Paramount has truly become the home of John Wayne’s films.”

Gretchen Wayne added: “In recent years there has been growing demand by fans of my late father-in-law to see these films released on DVD and on television. We are excited to have found the perfect partner to accomplish this in Paramount.”

“We are delighted to welcome these John Wayne classics into our television library,” said Joel Berman, President, Paramount Worldwide Television Distribution. “As an American icon with a timeless appeal, John Wayne speaks to a whole new generation of movie lovers.”

Among the films to be released under the agreement are:

The High and the Mighty (1954) ? Wayne stars as a washed-up pilot who must guide a damaged airliner to safety in this forerunner to modern disaster movies. Co-starring Claire Trevor and Robert Stack, it was nominated for six Oscars® including Best Director (William A. Wellman).

Island in the Sky (1953) ? Wayne is the pilot of a transport plane that crashes in the remote reaches of sub-Arctic Canada. As he struggles to keep his stranded crew alive in the deadly conditions, a rescue team desperately searches for them in the vast snow-covered wilderness.

Hondo (1953) ? Geraldine Page (nominated for an Oscar for her role) and Ward Bond join Wayne in this adaptation of a Louis L'Amour story about a half-breed Cavalry dispatch rider who protects a woman and her son living amidst warning Apaches.

“McLintock!” (1963) ? Wayne stars as cattle rancher George Washington McLintock who spars with his wife (Maureen O'Hara), their daughter (Stefanie Powers) and greedy land-grabbers in this hilarious western comedy.

Man in the Vault (1956) ? In this taut thriller, William Campbell stars as a locksmith forced to crack a bank safe deposit box in order to save his girlfriend (Karen Sharpe) from a ruthless mobster played by Berry Kroeger. Anita Ekberg also stars.

Plunder of the Sun (1953) ? Glenn Ford is an American claims adjuster caught up in a deadly hunt for Zapotecan treasure in this mystery set in Mexico. .

Ring of Fear (1954) ? Circus impresario and famed animal trainer Clyde Beatty plays himself in this whodunit about a series of suspicious accidents under the Big Top. Detective novelist Mickey Spillane, also as himself, arrives on the scene to solve the crime.

Seven Men from Now (1956) ? Randolph Scott is a former sheriff who tracks seven men through the desert in an effort to avenge his wife's murder.

Track of the Cat (1954). ? Tough guy Robert Mitchum stalks a panther that killed his younger brother (William Hopper) while his snowbound family begins to disintegrate. Directed by four-time Oscar nominee William A. Wellman (The Ox-Bow Incident, The High and The Mighty).

Visit www.paramount.com/homeentertainment to learn more about Paramount Home Entertainment’s new releases, as well as other classic Hollywood films, television programs, animated titles and family and special interest programming. Paramount Home Entertainment is part of the operations of Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
ring of Fear was an early scope stero film. I wonder if they have the stereo.
Track of the Cat is one of my favorite "weird" Hollywood films - not quite sure what it is about.
this film was previously on VHS from Warner Home vido - pan and scan, but stereo. Would love to have this 2:55 from Paramount - (Ring of fire should also be 2:55)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
The best news, besides The High and the Mighty, is Seven Men From Now, one of the best of the Scott/Boetticher westerns. Very exciting news all around.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Fans, and especially RAH (Mr. Harris), I too am happy that we will finally get to see "High and Mighty" released on video. It is about time Batjac answered all our pleas. Aside from the forthcoming "Star Wars" films, these "lost" Batjac films have been the most requested films to be released on DVD.

I'm sure RAH didn't tell you this, but one year from now the home video rights to the Republic library will revert fully to parent company Paramount (from Lionsgate), so perhaps a year from now we'll be celebrating the fact Paramount will be THE home of John Wayne movies. Films such as "Sands Of Iwojima" and "The Quiet Man" come to mind, and the Republic films (especially "The Quiet Man") deserve proper restoration (in a previous thread it was said that a digitally restored print of "Quiet Man" has been shown in either revival houses or television, but has never surfaced on DVD).

It is in a twist of irony that Republic was the previous television distributor of "Hondo" (I still have a 3-D video print of the film complete with accompanying glasses that sit somewhere in my house).

So I say, "Hondo", welcome home to Paramount!

By the way, a question for RAH...after the Paramount rights reversion, will the Republic name still be in operation? (Republic, I assume, is now an in-name-only distribution company).

Thanks. And in whatever dimension John Wayne is now in, I am sure he would be pleased too!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
All that is known at this point is that the Batjac titles will be released this year. Probably around July or August.

The original CinemaScope camera negative to The High and the Mighty was faded and printed as salmon pink and had water damage on it, so it has had substantial photo-chemical restoration and digital refurbishment.

On the otherhand, the original 4-track magnetic audio masters were fortunately in good shape, though and a 5.1 mix has been made, I think by Chace, but I'm not sure, who worked on it.

There will be extra features, but exactly what they will be isn't known yet.

John Wayne considered his role as Dan Roman his best role and Tiomkin's famous score was played at the Duke's funeral.

The screenplay to the film was based on the novel of the same name by Ernest K. Gann. Gann also wrote the extraordinary aviation-themed novel, Fate is the Hunter, which was filmed by Ralph Nelson (Requiem for a Heavyweight, Charly, Soldier Blue) and starred Glen Ford in one of his best roles. This film also has been extremely hard to see over the last forty years. The VHS went OOP years ago. I believe that Fox owns the rights, but who knows.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The magnetic masters for High and the Mighty were bulk erased, like all other Warner stereo films of this period. The stereo track that exists is made from various stereo prints.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, really, Joe? I seem to have been misinformed! :b

You were involved in a never-released letterboxed Laserdisc at Image, weren't you? What film element was used for that transfer and why was the LD never released? Who requested it who stopped it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It would seem very odd that an original negative from 1954 would be faded and printing "salmon pink."

This doesn't sound correct.

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris,

The Los Angeles County Museum Of Art screened a CinemaScope print provided by the Wayne estate sometime in the early 1980s of The High And The Mighty and indeed it looked salmon pink.

Not having seen it in many years, I was pleased that the film held up so well and the audience seemed enthralled by it. Hopefully, the forthcoming DVD will do the film justice.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Where anyone got the idea I was involved in a never released letterboxed laserdisc from Image is beyond me.
I had talked to Mike Wayne for a long time about releasing High and the mIghty and the other Wayne films, but it never got beyond the talk stage.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The comment re: H & M spoke of the Oneg being faded and printing as salmon pink.

An old print would go magenta. A new print with attempted correction from a faded negative would print toward yellow with blue shadows.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stereo magnetic masters were routinely degaussed after the sounding of a run of prints were completed because quality raw mag stock was difficult to find in near perfect (without dropouts) quality.

The stock would be re-used for the next production.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Would WB routinely keep their stems so that a remix is possible, or did they go the way of the dodo, too?

Even if they did, I suppose that elements for "The High and the Mighty" may have a slightly different history than is typical since it originated as a Wayne-Fellows (Batjac precursor) production.

Regards,

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Warners did not keep their stems from what I understand.
sadly if even separate mono music tracks were to be used for a remix it would be difficult from a mono mag master. Other studios have for their mono mags a three track mono mag. - one track with dialog, one with effects and one with mono music. Most of warners mono mags from the fifties are called yd-yf tracks. Two tracks 0 one with the composite mono mix for english speaking countries and th second track with just effects and music for foreign dubbing.
Hondo and Island in the Sky were released with interlocked stereo tracks ( tracks run from an interlocked projector) but these do not exist, so they will be released mono. they do have the stereo tracks for Ring of Fear and Track of the Cat - which will eventually be released in 2:55 masters with the stereo sound. (Track of the Cat is one of my favorite strange films form Hollywood).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Bummer :frowning:

In the "glass is half full" spirit, though, maybe having to work with mag tracks from 70mm prints will make them less inclined to tamper severely with the original mix, resulting in more of a repurposing of the original rather than a typical modern 5.1 presentation.

Regards,

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
no - these are not mag tracks from 70mm prints (NONE of the Wayne films were 70mm in this batch) but taked from 35mm prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks