What's new

Hey, Im not sure what I need -- 5.1 speaker system for TV/PC on the cheap, questions? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Makler

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
hey guys, I know what I want pretty much, but I dont know what Im doing here. My options are low-end, and my TV has optical out, but NOTHING i can afford has optical inputs, so thats just straight out of hte question.

im OK with RCA, but I dont know what I need -- devices like the logitech z506 are '3d stereo' and only use ONE stereo output with three outputs on the end, and im not sure if this would deliver true directional audio, or merely add speakers into the mix.

devices like the theatre solutions t509 use three separate audio outputs for each front, center and rear, and I believe this is superior to the z506 in that its ACTUALLY three separate channels, but i have no idea how this works on a technical level, so I dont know if its what I want.

I DEFINITELY want three separate channels that work to have say, REAL directional audio, not just more speakers -- and I dont know what other accessories I will need at all!

the two main setups I am looking at are -

ts509 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/theater-solutions-theater-solutions-ts509-home-theater-5-1-speaker-system-multimedia-surround-new-black/1308782193.p?id=mp1308782193&skuId=1308782193

USB sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126101&cm_re=5.1_USB-_-29-126-101-_-Product

cables - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG06H5015&cm_re=3.5_to_RCA-_-9SIA0PG06H5015-_-Product

or

logitech z506 -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121044

it LOOKS like I would not need extra cables -- I already have one 3.5mm-RCA L/R cable...

it also LOOKS like I would not need the external sound card for this -- that it would just plug-n-play with my existing headphone/line out jack on my PC/TV -- but I have NO IDEA if this is the same quality as the setup above

I also dont know if either set up will work, or what I am missing.

Please Help! I have the cash on hand, am ready to go buy in the morning, I just dont know what to do!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If passing audio "from a device" into the TV, then into an audio device...

You get 2.0 sound. The only 5.1 is the tv's tuner.

To get 5.1(6 channel) analog from toslink requires a (put this in your amazon search)

Toslink to 5.1 analog adapter

Those run $60-ish.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can’t tell from your post if you’re trying to connect these speakers to a TV or your computer – both were alluded to.

If the latter, just pick one of the systems you’re looking at. You can’t really quantify “quality” with < $100 speaker systems.

If the former, you really can’t connect a computer surround system to a standard television. Computer 5.1 systems either use USB or three 3.5 mm (aka “headphone”) output jacks, none of which appear on a typically television.

If it’s a TV you’re connecting to, and it has RCA line outputs, go with these used Yamaha computer speakers from eBay. They should cost about the same price as the Logitech speakers and will blow them away, sound-quality-wise. They're one of the best cheap 2.1 options out there. It's not 5.1, but that's not going to happen on your budget if your audio signal is coming from the TV, because that will require a home theater receiver (AVR).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Ok what is your budget for this project? It seems like you're looking for computer speakers that connect to your TV. Does your TV have RCA outputs? Is this for your desk or a living/bed room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks