What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Here's Lucy - Season One (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For those eager to see the forthcoming Season One release of Here's Lucy, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I got a copy yesterday and perused it last night. Generally, it's on a par with the release Shout! Factory did a few years back with beautiful transfers of the episodes themselves and introductions to each episode by Lucie or Desi, Jr., this time on camera!

Plus, there are lots of fun bonus features, much of which is culled from the Desilu II archives of Lucy's personal material. There's beautiful color silent home movie footage taken from the 1957-58 season of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show, showing location work in Las Vegas and Sun Valley along with the Maurice Chavalier episode from 1958 featuring Little Ricky on drums. (During the Sun Valley footage, try and read Fernando Lamas' lips as he talks into the camera!)

There's also home movie footage from the episode filmed at LAX and raw blue-screen work from that same episode. (Once again, read Gale Gordon's lips during one part of the silent blue-screen material!). There's also a delightful little 16mm "story" film by Gary Morton and Lucille Ball during a vacation in Monte Carlo probably done for the kids.

Also on the DVD are the raw footage of the making of the opening credits (shots with the Lucy puppet) and a long take of Lucy looking regally into the camera, smiling and winking for use during the credits.

Lucy's secretary, Wanda Clark, reads the production publicity material written in 1968 to publicize the new show.

There's promotional material from the network run and syndication promos for, if I'm not mistaken, each and every episode of season one as part of the bonus materials.

A fun addition is a complete 15 minute episode from the "Let's Talk to Lucy" radio series, which aired around 1964. Let's hope there are lots more of these coming as the on-camera visuals that play against the audio-only material indicate that Lucy talked with the likes of Vivian Vance, Bea Benaderet, Bob Hope and Eve Arden over the course of the series. Here she interviews Gale Gordon.

Also included is a cute vintage plug for The Mothers-in-Law, featuring Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard giving us the premise of that show. It's a nice ad for that forthcoming release on DVD.

There's more, but I haven't gotten to it all yet. Looking at the credits, I see a few of the same names that worked on the recently released Lucy Show and I can safely say this is as much a labor of love as that release was.

I'd say it's a must for Lucy fans and a nostalgic treat for everyone old enough to remember those fabulous Monday nights on CBS.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
there's also the episode introductions from Joseph Ruskin. Wayne Newton and Bruce Gordon.

do hope the family keeps up all the great bonus features on the MPI releases.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm extremely glad to read the prints are on a par with the Shout! set. Those were truly amazing.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by rcbrad

I searched and could not find a review at the dvd lounge for Here's Lucy?
that's cause I'm still watching the episodes.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Corey3rd /forum/thread/291207/here-s-lucy-season-one#post_3592387

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Was wanting to purchase Here's Lucy Season One set in the Twin Cities MN area, all the Best Buy stores believe they have about 2 copies in each store but no one can find them. Barnes and Noble doesn't seem to stock it.

Hopefully it won't have low sales numbers esp since Best Buy defin. has a stock issue in their computer system. They obviously got stock of some other title instead of Here's Lucy and they are clueless. I spoke to some of the Best Buy employees in two different locations and of course they don't even know what the show is and even though there seems to be an odd error with stock on the set no one cares to report it to corporate at all.

Anyone found their copy of the set locally?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As bad as the episodes are, this set is GREAT. The audio-video quality is terrific; maybe even a bit of a step-up from the Shout! set, if not the same. And unlike the Shout! set, you can skip the intros if you choose to. Although I found them all very fun and informative, and even touching in a couple of cases. MPI really did Lucy proud.

Keep 'em coming. I'm not a fan of this series, but I'm supporting this because it's Lucy, and to support classic TV on DVD done right.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I finally found a copy of Here's Lucy at Best Buy looks like their sticker price is 19.99. So NOT bad at all!

I watched the first episode and was thrilled. The video quality really is very very good. MPI should be proud. I really hope Lucy fans pick up this set.

Another cool thing is the the end credits feature the original Paramount Television logo (at least the 1st episode I watched did, I would expect the rest to be in intact.)

I will defin. be buying all the seasons of this show. Really great release. It can't get much better than this. (unless they transfer it to HD, but that could be pushing it)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger ">[/url]

I finally found a copy of Here's Lucy at Best Buy looks like their sticker price is 19.99. So NOT bad at all!

I watched the first episode and was thrilled. The video quality really is very very good. MPI should be proud. I really hope Lucy fans pick up this set.

Another cool thing is the the end credits feature the original Paramount Television logo (at least the 1st episode I watched did, I would expect the rest to be in intact.)

I will defin. be buying all the seasons of this show. Really great release. It can't get much better than this. (unless they transfer it to HD, but that could be pushing it)

[/QUOTE]
Great price. And, yes, all the eps have the original Paramount logos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks