What's new

Help with my Harmon Kardon setup - troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

lbk

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Hello. I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions which arise because I'm having some audio problems. Any insight would really be appreciated.

Here is my setup:

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 145 Receiver.

1. Cable Box to receiver - Component video, composite audio;

2. DVD to receiver - Component video, digital coaxial audio cable

3. Receiver to TV - Component Video

4. Speakers - JVC SX-XSW6000:
This system has a powered subwoofer: Frequency Response of 20-200Hz, Output Power 100 Watts, Crossover Frequency 200Hz
5 Satellite speakers: 2" x 3.5", Frequency response 200-20kHz, Power rating 110 Watts, Sensitivity 85DB, Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

My problems:

A. Audio Volume Problem to the surround speakers: My dvd is connected with a digital audio cable. When I run the EZ Set procedure, the system seems to calibrate the sound appropriately. However, when it is finished, I have virtually no sound coming from the rear left and right surround speakers. The sound is very faint and you have put the speaker to your ear to even hear it. I tried to manually set the volume. I had to turn the rear left and right speakers to full volume via the OSD setup, and this still was not enough to accomplish appropriate surround sound. I tried several different surround modes, and the problem did not resolve. I have mainly been using Dolby 5 speaker mode. The receiver is registering that all speakers are receiving a Dolby digital signal.

B. Audio Volume generally via the digital coaxial cable: When I hook up the dvd audio via the digital cable, I cannot turn the volume up very high. It is loud enough to use, but it should certainly be louder. It is not loud enough for a super bowl party, for example. When I hook the unit up via a composite audio cable, the volume is much higher. Why is this happening? I really don't want to use a composite audio cable, if I can use a digital coaxial cable - correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only accomplish true Dolby digital sound via the digital cable.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A. Internal test tones and automatic speaker leveling are notoriously bad on most receivers, especially the lesser priced models. Find you a copy of Avia, Video Essentials, Home Theater Tune Up or any of the other DVDs with test tones. Buy a Radio Shack SPL meter. Follow the directions on the DVD in setting the levels.

B. Dolby Digital is recorded 10db lower than regular PCM stereo. That's why it is lower. You can compensate for it by turning up the volume. If you have reached max volume and it still is not loud enough, then you need to upgrade.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks