What's new

Help with acoustic treatment - 12x13 room - 10ft ceilings (1 Viewer)

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of getting my media room set up, it's modest for now, but I think it will do the trick.

It consists of a marantz receiver, speedwoofer, ELAC b6.2's L, R, C. I plan on connecting these to a 77inch OLED.

The room I have these in, is 13x12 feet, so almost square and has 10 feet ceilings. I understand this can prove problematic for sound. I am planning on putting down a large area rug as well as 3/8 rug pad to help dampen sound. Will I need to do anything else? Acoustic panels etc?

I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what I am working with!

I am new to this, not a massive audiophile, so I don't need sound quality that is absoloutely perfect, just sound where it won't feel like its echoey or bouncey and my family and I can enjoy a movie :)

Thanks so much!
259833086_2948947768704363_6682083473430534300_n.jpg
261292315_299529345414762_1098462467392044860_n.jpg
262402655_4722749311120724_1186250583749612233_n.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First reflections are the biggest thing to tame. That's exactly what it sounds like. The first, direct reflection between the speakers and the viewer on all surfaces. The easy way to find those is to set up all the speakers and then use a mirror flat on each wall, floor and ceiling, and find the spot where anyone in the viewing area can see a speaker reflected in the mirror. What to use can get expensive...

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
First reflections are the biggest thing to tame. That's exactly what it sounds like. The first, direct reflection between the speakers and the viewer on all surfaces. The easy way to find those is to set up all the speakers and then use a mirror flat on each wall, floor and ceiling, and find the spot where anyone in the viewing area can see a speaker reflected in the mirror. What to use can get expensive...
Thanks John. I am hoping the rug and rug pad will work. Then Maybe some pictures on the wall or a bookcase may dampen sound.

I will try the mirror thing, so I need to be sitting down on the couch, and get someone to hold a mirror at various points in the wall, and then when I can see any speaker, mark that as an area of reflection? Could I put up a picture or something to help dampen the sound?

Thanks again!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bookcases with books of varying depths can work pretty well, but a normal picture won't, since it'll reflect about the same as the wall, if not even more. You need to diffuse the sound. There are artsy panels, but they do get expensive.

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Bookcases with books of varying depths can work pretty well, but a normal picture won't, since it'll reflect about the same as the wall, if not even more. You need to diffuse the sound. There are artsy panels, but they do get expensive.
Thanks John. Book cases could be the way to go.

As far as the artsy panels, what brand do you recxommend?

dennycrane

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Hi John,

Would something like this work? Or is it more of a gimmick?

BUBOS 12 Pack Hexagon Acoustic Panels Soundproof Wall Panels,14 X 13 X 0.4Inches Sound Absorbing Panels Acoustical Wall Panels, Acoustic Treatment for Recording Studio, Office, Home Studio,Dark Brown

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That type of stuff should help tame high frequencies and echo. They don’t help with bass problems, which is a lot more complicated, but less obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks