What's new

Help setting up outside TV/reciever run off of inside cable box (1 Viewer)

BBradshaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Beau
I'm new to all of this so bear with me, I'll do my best to explain my situation.

I recently mounted a TV outside in my BBQ area. Rather than purchasing an additional cable box, I have it hooked up to my inside cable box using an IR sensor. The inside TV is connected to the box via HDMI. A long set of red, blue, green component cables are connected to the same cable box and are run under my raised house to my outside TV.

I am now looking to install outdoor speakers and cd player and hook them up to a receiver that I plan on keeping in a cabinet outside by the outdoor TV. How would I go about hooking the outside TV up to the receiver as well and use my mounted speakers to watch cable on the outdoor TV from the cable box that I am using inside?

-Do I run an optical wire from my indoor cable box under my house, plug it into my outdoor receiver then plug my tv into the receiver?

-Do I even need to connect the cable box to the receiver at all? Is there a way to go straight from the receiver to the tv?

-If even possible, will hooking my indoor cable box up to my outdoor receiver cause any issues when I try to watch TV inside? I mean when I watch cable on the TV that is hooked up to the box inside my house will I have sound or will the sound only be on my outside speakers now?

Another thing that I'm confused about is how am I currently getting the sound on the outside TV. I looked at the back of the cable box in question and see where I have 1 HDMI cord going from the box to the inside TV and then the only other wires (other than the power cord of course) are the aforementioned R-B-G component cables from the cable box going outside to the outdoor TV. Nothing is plugged into the cable box's optical audio port and there are no ports for the traditional Red/White audio component cables. I was under the impression that the R-B-G cable only carried video and not audio, am I wrong? I turn the outside TV on and i get perfect video with sound but being that I had someone install it for me I don't really know where the heck the sound is coming from.

Any help would be appreciated and let me know if I need to further clarify anything or post pictures of anything. Thanks!

BBradshaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Beau
schan1269 said:
And this receiver(inside the house) you plan to use is?
The cable box receiver inside the house is Cisco cable box issued by Cox Cable. I will post pictures below.

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

On the image of the back of the cable box, you can see where the HDMI is plugged in, the cable coax cable is run in, the power cord and the R-B-G component cable is connect for my outside TV. under the R-B-G cables is another port for a second set of R-B-G cables and the the port for the optical cable is next to it I believe.

For the outside receiver to hook my speakers up to, I was looking for something inexpensive and found this one at best buy that I was thinking about.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-200w-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-black/4156007.p?id=1219096745208&skuId=4156007

Would this work or do I need something different?

BBradshaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Beau
Oh, I am not using the receiver inside. The issue is me having a receiver outside, connected to a tv that is also outside, while that same outside tv is connected to the pictured cable box which is located inside. I have placed a link to the receiver that i was looking at in my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks