What's new
World Wide Stereo

help me run my first video cable (1 Viewer)

JasonBenway

Agent
I've ran speaker wire before but never video cable.

My basement is getting finished and I want to get a projector. So I plan on running the wire before the drywall goes up.

I figure I can just get a reciever that will upconvert everything to conpontent so I only need to run conpontent from the wall to the projector. First where is the best place to get a 30-35 foot conpontent cable.
Second I'm concerned about the size of the hole I'm going to need to get all three ends though the studs.

Then how to I leave it, so I can get access after they drywall. With speaker wire I just buy electric boxes and leave wire wound up in it.

Thank you
jb

728x90

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I got my 45" component cables from Blue Jeans cables, very reasonable. You will have to prewire and your correct about the hole for the ends, when I did my prewire I did not allow for the p/j so I had to do it after the fact :frowning: remember to allow for those bends and not to make then too sharp. Some use 2" pvc pipe or maybe bigger...?

JasonBenway

Agent
Yeah, that's another issue, I won't be able to use pvc pipe, because its in the basement and I have to deal with duct work, water lines, and other stuff that runs to the floor above.

I'm going to have to run the cable above and below all that stuff. How bendable are component cable to go around things?

thank you
jb

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend you find a way to run conduit. As video cables change more frequently than other cables (i.e. speaker) you will want to upgrade in the future (to HDMI or DVI). Unless you can afford to run all the possible cables now??

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Instead of rigid conduit, look for some flexible plastic pipe. You don't want floppy pipe like nylon hose, just something bendable. The black pipe for sprinkler systems might do the trick.

Get the bigest diameter that you think will bend around your obstructions. Leave the end of the pipe sticking into a electrical junction box by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

When you go to pull cable, stop by the electrical department and look for some "goop" that you can use to make the cable slick so it will pull easier.

JasonBenway

Agent
I'll have to take a look at the flexable pipe, I maybe able to do that. I'd have to get pipe big enough for all three ends of the component to fit though. Is a HDMI or DVI conector wider than the 3 conponet ends combined?

Also I'm looking online to buy the long component cable.
Blue Jeans cables has at 35 foot cable for $116
But cablesforless has a 50 foot cable for $38

I've read people saying the monster cables are not worth the money, what about this price difference?

Thanks,jb

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Try Blue Jeans cable on ebay... Good stuff and its the only stuff I will buy.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks