What's new

Help me decide which game to buy! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've decided that I'm only going to get one more game this month (the first was RE0 which I just finished.) The candidates are:

Splinter Cell (PC)
Heard great things. Looks very cool. Never tried this type of game before.

[c]vs.[/c]

Metroid Prime (GC)
Also heard great things. never played any Metroid game.

So, which is better? Longer? Funner? Etc. All opinions welcomed.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
What're my choices again? I can't read the small print :D.

I haven't played Splinter Cell, Paul, but I can tell you that Metroid Prime is one of the best games I bought for my GameCube and I loved every minute I spent playing it. It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but it's way fun.

That being said, Splinter Cell also looks good and it appears very popular. It'll take you at least twenty hours to run through Metroid Prime for your first time, and that's an at least. It's a really challenging game, in the good way.

I get to check out Splinter Cell when the GameCube version comes out ;). When do you guys get Wind Waker over there anyway?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely leaning towards Metroid right now.

June. :thumbsdown: Though I have plenty of exams to tide me over till then. :frowning:

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Metroid Prime is one of those games that I'd have no trouble recommending to anybody, myself. I have a friend who is a female teacher who can't play anything more complicated than Mario Sunshine and she was playing it non-stop.

For a first-person exploration game to hook people like that is pretty impressive, imho. And from my own POV, let me just say that I despise FPS games that aren't on the PC, but Prime is both fun enough to overcome its deficits and the control system straightforward enough so it's rarely a problem anyway.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Between those two games, I don't think a bad choice is possible. If you like adventure games, Metrois Prime it is. If you like stealth, Splinter Cell is the king.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I think Splinter Cell is a lot deeper, but I'd recommend Metroid since you say you haven't played a game like SC before. SC is more tuned towards vets of the genre, so you'd be better off starting with a different stealth type game instead.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I finished SC on Xbox a while ago, I am about 64% done with Metroid right now...

I loved SC, don't get me wrong, but MP is SO much more entertaining, to me anyway. SC was damn hard, I finished it and felt wrung out! If you've never played a game like that before, it may frustrate you... my vote is for Metroid... I can't stop saying "wow" everytime I get somewhere new... it's just great.

Tom

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I recently finished Splinter Cell on the Xbox and started up Metroid Prime on the 'Cube recently. Splinter Cell is one of the two best games I've played in recent memory (along with Halo). However, I'm also enjoying Metroid Prime. One big factor I like about Metroid aside from great level design, good sound, graphics, etc. is the ever-cool "nostalgia (sp?) factor." When I play it, it brings back some great memories of sitting with my junior high buddies playing through the original. I think both games are apples and oranges- both great, however in different ways. You can't lose either way- you can always buy the other later on.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Great stuff Paul, glad to hear it. I would hate to think we steered you wrong, though recommending Metroid Prime is a pretty sure thing except for the biggest sticklers out there ;).

And if you're only 11% through the game, well, I can safely say that the best is still yet to come :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks