What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help/ideas with new receiver setup (1 Viewer)

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I get some ideas how to set up my Onkyo 605? My 8 (plus) year old Yamaha died and I replaced it with this receiver yesterday. I haven't bought/configured a receiver for that many years so I'm a little confused.
My previous setup was:
-Cable/DVR to TV (Samsung 6187) and Audio from TV to Reciever
-HD DVD to TV and Audio from DVD to Receiever

This setup was very comfortable for everyone in the family because if someone wanted the surround sound "experience" you could turn on the receiever, turn down the TV sound and listen while being able to adjust the volume either with the cable box or the receiever. If you were just casually watching there was no need for the receiver (to be powered on) and you could watch TV only and adjust volume with the TV or the cable box.

The recommended set up now is:
-Cable and DVD to receiver via HDMI in and HDMI out to TV so that the volume is controlled only by the receiever and no "casual" listening with TV only with independant volume control and the receiever must be on.

So my question is, can I have something similar to my old setup while taking advantage of the features of this reciever?
I'd REALLY prefer not to have the receiever on when used in "casual" mode because my kids will definitley forget to turn it off and this receiever gets HOT, and, its more complicated for them to use.

728x90

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dave - try connecting your system as follows:

1. Connect HDMI from DVR to receiver
2. Connect HDMI from receiver to TV
2. Connect Component from DVR to TV
3. Connect Audio (Analogue or Digital) from DVR to TV

When you want to watch TV without the receiver, simply set the TV source to Component. I recommend purchasing a Universal Remote such as a Logitech Harmony to simplify switching connections for your family. Enjoy your new receiver!

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim

Sounds good.
-The video will now suffer since there is no HDMI on "casual" mode?
-The Logitech Harmony is easy to use?
Thanks!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi David - for all intensive purposes, one can consider HDMI and component to offer equal video quality. In fact, by running video directly to the TV you are ensuring no signal degradation which may occur through the receiver.

A second option altogether would be to cable as follows:

1. Connect HDMI from DVR to TV
2. Connect Digital Audio from DVR to receiver
2. Connect Analogue Audio from DVR to TV

As for universal remotes, the Logitech Harmony 880 is by far the most popular remote on the market (in fact I own two). If this is beyond your budget, the lower model Harmony's are excellent as well. This is the most "wife friendly" remote on the market, even my grandma and mother are comfortable operating the remote. ;)

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim

With this setup is there any advantage to having the Onkyo 605? Coudn't I (return this unit) and get a less expensive non HDMI capable reciever? I guess what I'm sayning is I want my cake and eat it too. I'd like the use of the enhancements of the new receiver and have the simplicity of the old setup. What do you think?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
There are two schools of thought, many prefer the simplicity of an HDMI-capable receiver, with less cabling and simple video switching. Others prefer to connect all video directly to the TV, and all audio directly to the receiver. Both are excellent options. Personally I prefer connecting all video directly to my TV because there is a shorter signal path and I can calibrate each input on my TV independantly. The decision is really up to you, if you have enough HDMI inputs on your set for future capabilities then by all means. I would still recommend purchasing a capable Universal Remote in order to simplify the system.

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim

I'm going to mull this over. BTW, do you know where I can get fans to cool this receiver?
Thanks for all you input!

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim

Would I be better off using optical instead of Component?

Thanks Liz for the fan info.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I'm not certain what you are asking, Component is used for video, optical is used for audio. Are you asking which is better between Digital Coax and Optical Audio? For all intensive purposes they can be considered equal. :)

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
In the second and third steps that you outined above, what is the best connections (cable) to use?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The best possible choices are Digital Coax or Optical Audio, next best is RCA (analog red/white). Use the best possible choice to the receiver, followed by the next best to the TV.

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim

OK.
I'll have to check the connections when I get home then I'll go to Home Depot to buy cables.
I have a Toshiba XA2 HD DVD, Samsung 6187 DLP TV, and A Scientific American (Charter) Cable HD DVR if that helps.
Thanks for your guidance.

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
How about this:

HDMI from DVR to TV.
OPTICAL from TV to receiver.
HDMI from HD DVD to Receiver.

This way the Cable and TV work independant of the receiver.
The DVD would never be used w/o Surround so there's no issue there.
When TV is used with Surround then you simply turn the Receiver on.
there would be no need for Analog from DVR to TV because the audio signal would be carried by the HDMI.
Am I correct here?
Is the optical the best choice ove RCA or coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks