What's new

Help choosing SVS sub with Polk RTi70 fronts and other speaker ?'s (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of weeks ago I posted here because I needed some advice on whether or not to buy a pair of Polk RTi70 speakers, which I did, and they are very nice speakers. I also found a CSi40 center, and it should be arriving soon.

So now I would like to get a subwoofer. I have read plenty of posts here talking about SVS subs, and I have read a lot of the reviews. However, (and this seems to be a common question), which SVS to get?

I would prefer to stay under $700, but if need be I could spring for the $775 PCi Plus 25-31. However, do I need to?

My living room is 13 feet wide by 19.5 feet long, with two openings to the kitchen, and a hallway at one end.

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR230 receiver, the RTI70's, the soon to arrive CSi40 center, and for the time being I will use the two surrounds from my Onkyo 5.1 system.

Also, is it necessary to have my surrounds be the same brand/series as my fronts and center?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Steve:

I think you should definitely stay with Polk for the surrounds; timbre matching is important in all channels.

Maybe if you answer a few more questions, we can pin it down to a specific model:

- How far are the key listening positions from the sub.

- Where will the sub be located in relation to the permanent openings you described.

- What type of DVDs and music to you like and what is the listening percentage for each. Do you like organ music with true 16-17 Hz content?

- When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?

- What is your typical master volume setting with respect to Reference Level (like -5RL, -10RL, -15RL) when watching DVDs.

- Which form factor do you prefer more: Box or Cylinder.

- Which finish option do you prefer: Black or Wood.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks