What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help Choose Speaker Please :( (1 Viewer)

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
Hey guys, well i just bought a Onkyo HT-S9100THX and want to swap out the front 3 speakers, was thinking of getting floor standing speakers for the L and R and then get a 3rd one as i go along.

I got offered:

Cerwin Vega AT-12
Cerwin Vega E-310
or
Jamo E680

please keep in mind that i have no idea what any of the specs for either one means, so im left with asking the pro, so here i am. Can you guys please help to choose, i do have a few more, but lets start with these 3 to see which one would be best for me?

728x90

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CV has never been known for being accurate, just loud. What are your other options? Which sound best to you because that is the most important?

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
I have no idea, im no pro when it comes to speakers or anything :(
thats why i need help

my budget isnt too high, but give or take about 200 a peice x2 since i need 2 floorstanding speakers

what sound best? and are accurate?

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
also was thinking about
Polk Audio Monitor 60
Polk Audio S10
B&W not sure what model yet
Klipsh Synergy SF-2
JBL
Boston Acoustics VR950 or maybe some other model
Definitive Technology
Cerwin Vega AT-12 ... E-310 ...or... E-712

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Speakers really aren't something that someone else can tell you are "best" or "right" for you. It's something that you really need to listen to and judge for yourself. Preferrably, you should find a way to listen to material you're very familiar with when auditioning speakers - most boutique A/V stores are more than happy to let you bring in your own CDs or DVDs to listen to.

The only thing others can do is help you understand speaker specifications and what's important there:
- If loudness is important to you, look for a speaker with a high (>90dB is very good) sensitivity. DON'T equate wattage to loudness. Wattage numbers are worthless when comparing two different speakers.

- For main front speakers, you want a good frequency range. Something that tops out at 20kHz, and gets comfortably below 80Hz (40Hz would be even better). Also when looking at the frequency range of two different speakers, a smaller variance is better than a large variance (i.e. +/- 3dB is better than +/- 8dB).

- Speaker impedance - you want speakers with the same or higher impedance than what your receiver is designed for. Beware speakers with low impedance (2 or 3 ohms). The receiver that comes with the 9100 system is designed for 8 ohm or higher speakers.

Aside from that, you need to listen to as many speakers as possible to determine what's best for you.

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
so something like this would be good if i like loudness? i know the 6ohm is not too good with the 9100 but will it still work good tho?

System Type 3 Way Bassreflex Woofer (mm/in) 2 x 203 / 8 Midrange (mm/in) 76 / 3 Tweeter (mm/in) 25 / 1 Dome Power (W, long/short term) 120 / 170 Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m) 90 Frequency Range (Hz) 40 - 20000 Impedence (Ohm) 6

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
or something like:
[COLOR= rgb(77, 77, 77)]Peak Power Handling300 WattFrequency Reponse28 Hz - 20000 kHzSensitivity98 dBImpedance8 ohm????[/COLOR]

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 2nd speaker doesn't give you the parameters that they used to get a 98dB sensitivity. The speaker above was using the standard 1w / 1m measurement.

Since my speakers are DIY, I've never measured their sensitivity. In fact, I don't care. They sound great. They can also get loud enough that I can't hear my wife yelling at me to turn down the volume. This isn't a car audio SPL competition. You will find that 100dB in a house is loud. Too loud for extended listening sessions.

Go listen to some speakers. There is nothing worse than listening to speakers that will fatigue your ears. Find some you like. Then see if they get loud enough for you.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Eric, I think you misunderstood me. You can't evaluate any speakers on specs alone. No matter what, you have to go and listen to them. Understanding what the specs mean is useful for being able to, at a glance, know if one speaker is at least in the same ballpark as another, or in the case of impedance, whether or not a speaker will work with your receiver or not.

Beyond that, your ears are the only thing that can say whether or not a speaker is right for you.

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
alright guys, since i cant go out and listen to the speakers, i have to choose one of them, either the Yamaha NS-A1738 or the Jamo E680

can you guys please look them up and see which is better? and i mean better in the way Louder and Clearer, which ones would you guys choose for your speaker setup if those where your choices?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Out of those 2 options, Jamo. Yamaha is an electronics manufacturer which means they do an average job with everything. Jamo makes speakers and as far as I know, only speakers.

Have you looked at SVS, Elemental Designs or any other internet direct company?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, they make towers also.

Between the CV's and Jamo's I'd get the Jamo's based on rep alone. Hopefully they have a matching center you can get later.

You might want to check on Frys, in-store and/or on-line. They have the Infinity Primus 362's on sale for $149 each. Get the center when you can afford it. I like Infinity. You may not. Kinda soft and warm. They make me feel fuzzy all over .

elite-fusion

Agent
Real Name
Eric
Lol thanks alot :)

Well i already got 2 Jamo E680 speakers, both for $150, in black, so my 9100 is coming in tomorrow so we'll see how everything goes :) now have to get a nice Jamo center speaker and i should be set and hopefully get that warm fuzzy feeling that you're talking about haha :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks