What's new

Help: Blu-ray player windowboxes fullscreen discs! (1 Viewer)

Bill Santagata

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Santagata
I just bought a Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S185) although I do not yet have an HD TV (I'm sure I"ll be getting one soon and in the meantime want to be able to stop buying DVDs).
It's hooked up to a standard ratio television and when I play a movie originally shot in Academy ratio, the image does not fill the screen as it should but has black bars on the top and bottom to create a widescreen TV ratio, then black bars on the left and right to create the Academy ratio.
By fiddling with the settings I can only get rid of the bars on the top and bottom but the image is stretched vertically.
How can I get the disc to play normally?
Thanks for your help.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Bill - try these settings:
Your TV should be selected as a 4:3 aspect ratio in the player's "TV Type" settings. "Screen Format" should be "Fixed Aspect Ratio". "DVD Aspect Ratio" should be "Letterboxed".

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
A blu ray of a 4:3 academy ratio movie will have black bars onnthe side as part of the image because HD's ratio is natively 16:9
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wizard-of-Oz-Blu-ray/6366/
as seen in the screen grabs of this Wizard Of Oz blu ray review.
When the BD player is set for an old 4:3 TV, the BD player doesn't know any better and will add letterbox bars on top and bottom like any other 16:9 ratio image.
But, players should usually have a zoom function to compensate for that. On my Panasonic it's called "side cut" becuase it zooms to the middle and cuts off the sides. I suspect it is there precisely because of your issue. Your Sony should have some sort of similar zoom function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks