What's new

Hello new guy needs help (1 Viewer)

nycguy718

Grip
Real Name
luis
Hey all new to the forum and to Home audio. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in nyc and I wanted to setup surround sound or a audio system in my apartment. I am looking for great crisp sound over loudness. I spoke to someone in audio business not to name any companies here but they recommended SONOS and here is why:

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
--------- | |___________________________ | |------------------------------
X

XXXXXXXXXXXX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but this is the best i can do. anyways X is where my tv is and I do have internet wired connection there. This wall is between 2 walkways and I can't run wires to the back wall behind the sofa for the surround sound.

So Sonos was recommended because I can plug playbar in and everything else wireless. I was looking for opinions on what I should do????? budget is 2500-3000 US. It would be awesome if i could expand the system to other parts of the apartment like bedrooms etc. I was looking for the following as some receiver options:

Sony STR-DN1040
Yamaha RX-V675
Onkyo TX-NR727

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't use Sonos with an AVR.The only one of that group you can use a "wireless solution" with is the Yamaha. Why? It has pre-outs.To get pre-outs in Sony, you have to go to the ES line. Onkyo pre-outs start at the 828.Why can't you run wire up the wall, across the ceiling and back down the wall?Wirewold (look it up on Amazon)Flat adhesive paintable speaker wire (look that up on Amazon)

Edit:
The 675 doesn't have pre-outs either. Have to get one in the RX-A line that does.

nycguy718

Grip
Real Name
luis
schan1269 said:
You don't use Sonos with an AVR.The only one of that group you can use a "wireless solution" with is the Yamaha. Why? It has pre-outs.To get pre-outs in Sony, you have to go to the ES line. Onkyo pre-outs start at the 828.Why can't you run wire up the wall, across the ceiling and back down the wall?Wirewold (look it up on Amazon)Flat adhesive paintable speaker wire (look that up on Amazon)

Edit:
The 675 doesn't have pre-outs either. Have to get one in the RX-A line that does.
I know the sonos does not use receiver but it is either go the receiver and speakers route or sonos. I don't like to run wires ovr the walls at it looks nasty in my opinion. my ceiling are concrete so i can't go over them either. Can't run the on the floor as there is 2 walkways on both sides.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
nycguy718 said:
I know the sonos does not use receiver but it is either go the receiver and speakers route or sonos. I don't like to run wires ovr the walls at it looks nasty in my opinion. my ceiling are concrete so i can't go over them either. Can't run the on the floor as there is 2 walkways on both sides.

Apparently you haven't looked up "flat adhesive paintable speaker wire" on Amazon. (hint: your room setup/requirement is exactly why it was created. So it could hide in plain sight)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks