What's new

HDMI Signal Detecting Issue With Samsung Blu-ray Player on our Sony Bravia TV Has Recently Inexplicably Developed!! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It seems that I have run into one of those oddball, not readily explicable playback issues that are known to periodically develop. This has effectively shut down the playing of the second Blu-ray disc of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956), that my wife and I enjoyed the first disc of (After some struggle with the HDMI inputs!) on Easter Saturday!

Over a year after setting up our Samsung Blu-ray Player to play on our son’s 42 inch 1080p Sony Bravia TV, it is suddenly now a fight to get the signal, if I can get it at all. Yet, it plays just fine on the 32 inch 720p Toshiba TV that is set up in my room.

I should mention that the Sony Bravia has two HDMI inputs, both of which accept the signal from the HDMI PVR setup with no issues (I checked it on both HDMI inputs this afternoon!), and yet it no longer does the same for the Samsung Blu-ray Player, on which I also tested both HDMI inputs! Unlike on Saturday when I first noticed this issue, all of the futzing around with the HDMI cables this afternoon wouldn't work at all!

Can anyone explain what might be causing this oddball situation? For instance, is there such a thing as female HDMI inputs that still work fine for some devices, but not others that have worked in said inputs in the past? The HDMI cables themselves don’t seem to be an issue either, as I used the same one for the Samsung Blu-ray Player on both TVs. I’m really stuck (Not to mention, rather frustrated!), right now! :(

P.S. I should add that the Samsung Blu-ray Player can only accept internet via Ethernet connection, which has never been done with this device. Therefore, there is zero chance any kind of update may have caused this issue with that device, at least!

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It seems that I have run into one of those oddball, not readily explicable playback issues that are known to periodically develop. This has effectively shut down the playing of the second Blu-ray disc of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956), that my wife and I enjoyed the first disc of (After some struggle with the HDMI inputs!) on Easter Saturday!

Over a year after setting up our Samsung Blu-ray Player to play on our son’s 42 inch 1080p Sony Bravia TV, it is suddenly now a fight to get the signal, if I can get it at all. Yet, it plays just fine on the 32 inch 720p Toshiba TV that is set up in my room.

I should mention that the Sony Bravia has two HDMI inputs, both of which accept the signal from the HDMI PVR setup with no issues (I checked it on both HDMI inputs this afternoon!), and yet it no longer does the same for the Samsung Blu-ray Player, on which I also tested both HDMI inputs! Unlike on Saturday when I first noticed this issue, all of the futzing around with the HDMI cables this afternoon wouldn't work at all!

Can anyone explain what might be causing this oddball situation? For instance, is there such a thing as female HDMI inputs that still work fine for some devices, but not others that have worked in said inputs in the past? The HDMI cables themselves don’t seem to be an issue either, as I used the same one for the Samsung Blu-ray Player on both TVs. I’m really stuck (Not to mention, rather frustrated!), right now! :(

P.S. I should add that the Samsung Blu-ray Player can only accept internet via Ethernet connection, which has never been done with this device. Therefore, there is zero chance any kind of update may have caused this issue with that device, at least!
Tony, I'm not sure which issue you were having the the 10C blu-ray discs but I can say that that both blu-rays from the 4K set temporarily borked the sound between my Sony X800 4K player and my Denon receiver to the point that the receiver would not out put any sound at all. I finally reset both the player and the receiver and the audio worked on the 4K disc and subsequent blu-rays (NOT the 10 C discs). I suspect a copy protection issue with the older blu-ray discs for 10C but haven't really explored the issue. I don't have either the player/TV/or receiver set on ARC for various reasons. But both the player and the receiver access the internet.

Both 10C blu-ray discs played normally except there was no audio.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, I'm not sure which issue you were having the the 10C blu-ray discs but I can say that that both blu-rays from the 4K set temporarily borked the sound between my Sony X800 4K player and my Denon receiver to the point that the receiver would not out put any sound at all. I finally reset both the player and the receiver and the audio worked on the 4K disc and subsequent blu-rays (NOT the 10 C discs). I suspect a copy protection issue with the older blu-ray discs for 10C but haven't really explored the issue. I don't have either the player/TV/or receiver set on ARC for various reasons. But both the player and the receiver access the internet.

Both 10C blu-ray discs played normally except there was no audio.
No, this is a case where the TV just isn't picking up the Blu-ray Player signal at all. The caption on the upper left corner of the screen indicates that a Blu-ray Player is connected to the HDMI, but it's otherwise basically a light blue screen, with a "Signal For This Device Not Detected" (Or something very close to that!) message on the lower right corner. Yet, this same Blu-ray Player works fine on the Toshiba TV (With THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray, I might add!). I've also tried DVDs with both setups with the same results.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
No, this is a case where the TV just isn't picking up the Blu-ray Player signal at all. The caption on the upper left corner of the screen indicates that a Blu-ray Player is connected to the HDMI, but it's otherwise basically a light blue screen, with a "Signal For This Device Not Detected" (Or something very close to that!) message on the lower right corner. Yet, this same Blu-ray Player works fine on the Toshiba TV (With THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray, I might add!). I've also tried DVDs with both setups with the same results.
I suspect it's a setting on either the player or TV side or both. If the blu ray is playing to a 720 TV its downcoding the signal to the 720 TV. I would confirm the TV is set to auto input for resolution and confirm the blu-ray player is set for auto output resolution so it will output the proper signal for each TV (Toshiba and Sony) to interpret.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I suspect it's a setting on either the player or TV side or both. If the blu ray is playing to a 720 TV its downcoding the signal to the 720 TV. I would confirm the TV is set to auto input for resolution and confirm the blu-ray player is set for auto output resolution so it will output the proper signal for each TV (Toshiba and Sony) to interpret.
The 720p Toshiba TV is the one that IS still accepting the signal from the Samsung Blu-ray Player, though. Up until last week, so was the 1080p Sony Bravia, which shouldn't have any downcoding issues, correct?

What I'm thinking it could be is the HDMI inputs for the Sony Bravia TV have become a bit wonky over time, as the inputs are in a rather hard to reach spot (Right near the middle of the back of the 42 inch TV, UGH!!), and I've often had to do a lot of futzing around when I've had to change HDMI cables, etc. I should add that when I first started having trouble this past Easter weekend, jiggling the HDMI cables would sometimes make the signal from the Blu-ray Player connect to the 1080p Sony TV, and sometimes not! At one point, I even had video, but no sound, until another bit of jiggling the cable did bring in both on Easter Saturday! Then, after finishing the first TTC Blu-ray disc (I did also try a 15 year old I Love Lucy DVD with the same results, so it's not a copyright protect thing, either.), just the act of pushing buttons on the Blu-ray Player caused me to lose the signal from the Samsung Blu-ray Player again! Yet, the same HDMI cables and Sony TV inputs accept the signal from our Rogers PVR box just fine! This is what I mean by the TV HDMI inputs still accepting the signal from some devices, but not others that have previously worked without any issues. So frustrating! :(

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For instance, is there such a thing as female HDMI inputs that still work fine for some devices, but not others that have worked in said inputs in the past?
This might earn you some bad karma. :D I know I can't show it to my wife.

What about the TV? Any firmware updates there?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This might earn you some bad karma. :D I know I can't show it to my wife.

What about the TV? Any firmware updates there?
I do get your meaning, LOL! :lol:

Regarding the TV itself, I have no idea of any firmware updates, unless Rogers somehow does that through our WiFi setup, but I suspect that would solely affect their PVR box, which is connected to the Sony TV, via HDMI connection. How would I even begin to check for firmware updates on a 42 inch 1080p Sony Bravia Model, circa 2014?

CHEERS! :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Regarding the TV itself, I have no idea of any firmware updates, unless Rogers somehow does that through our WiFi setup, but I suspect that would solely affect their PVR box, which is connected to the Sony TV, via HDMI connection. How would I even begin to check for firmware updates on a 42 inch 1080p Sony Bravia Model, circa 2014?

Yea, I was just brainstorming. It's probably not the TV. Perhaps try a factory reset on the BD player?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cables can go bad, especially if they're moved and connected/reconnected often. I'd try a new high-speed cable.

Since this is Canada, I don't know if there are issues with the digital copyright management stuff? I had to set my new 4K blu-ray player a certain way to get it to work with my TV which is rather old and did not seem compatible under default settings.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Cables can go bad, especially if they're moved and connected/reconnected often. I'd try a new high-speed cable.

Since this is Canada, I don't know if there are issues with the digital copyright management stuff? I had to set my new 4K blu-ray player a certain way to get it to work with my TV which is rather old and did not seem compatible under default settings.
If anything, I'm thinking the Sony Bravia TV's 2 HDMI inputs may be a more likely culprit (From being moved and connected/reconnected often, as you describe) than the HDMI cables having gone bad, only because those same HDMI cables aren't an issue with the Toshiba 32 inch TV, and the Samsung 1080p Blu-ray Player works fine on that TV, also.

Regarding digital copyright, even if that were an issue affecting playback of both 1080p Blu-rays and DVDs, I should at least be getting my Samsung Blu-ray Player screens, which isn't happening on the Sony Bravia TV, either.

I do greatly appreciate yours and everyone elses input!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just mentioned the cable, as I took a heavy duty cable that had seemed to work fine on my system to my mother's last year to hook up her new HDTV. It worked fine for a while, but then she kept losing the signal. I changed the cable and it's worked fine since then. Not sure if the cable went bad, or if it was just not compatible with her set-up for some reason even though it seemed to work fine at first. :huh:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just mentioned the cable, as I took a heavy duty cable that had seemed to work fine on my system to my mother's last year to hook up her new HDTV. It worked fine for a while, but then she kept losing the signal. I changed the cable and it's worked fine since then. Not sure if the cable went bad, or if it was just not compatible with her set-up for some reason even though it seemed to work fine at first. :huh:
You just gotta "love" these super annoying grey areas! :unsure:

Since both HDMI cords seem to be working fine on our other devices, for now I've moved the Samsung Blu-ray Player to the Mrs' bedroom, so that she can play her BD discs on her setup there (A 19 inch Samsung TV, but oh well!), while I use my External Pioneer BD Burner on my bedroom Toshiba 32 inch TV/PC Laptop setup.

It's far from ideal, but it's not like we can afford a new TV (Lord, I wish!!) for the living room, and I'm not going to waste $$ we don't have on new HDMI cables either, especially when my gut tells me they're very unlikely the problem, anyway.

Prof. Ratigan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
My 4K player has developed a strange issue where it won't automatically come up when I turn it on. I have to press the play or Home button on the remote before I get the interface to come up. May not be the same issue, but it sounded the same to me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My 4K player has developed a strange issue where it won't automatically come up when I turn it on. I have to press the play or Home button on the remote before I get the interface to come up. May not be the same issue, but it sounded the same to me.

These sound like completely different issues to me but if you would like some suggestions as to what may be causing yours, a little more information would help.

for now I've moved the Samsung Blu-ray Player to the Mrs' bedroom, so that she can play her BD discs on her setup there (A 19 inch Samsung TV, but oh well!), while I use my External Pioneer BD Burner on my bedroom Toshiba 32 inch TV/PC Laptop setup.
Tony - Any updates? I've lost sleep over this one. :confused: Did you ever try factory defaulting the Samsung Blu-ray Player?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
These sound like completely different issues to me but if you would like some suggestions as to what may be causing yours, a little more information would help.

Tony - Any updates? I've lost sleep over this one. :confused: Did you ever try factory defaulting the Samsung Blu-ray Player?
I'm sorry that you've lost sleep, John! :(

No, I didn't try the factory defaulting method for the Blu-ray Player and probably won't as I really don't think that is the issue as it works fine on our other two TVs. The more I think of it, I really think it is something that has developed with the two HDMI inputs on the Sony Bravia TV.

In addition, I'm currently a bit preoccupied with arranging the logistics for two medical related appointments tomorrow, one of those involving getting the first of two COVID-19 Vaccine injections! Maybe I'll decide to try the Blu-ray Player factory reset thing once I'm over whatever side effects the Oxford Astra Zeneca jab might bring?

On the plus side, you should be able to show this post to your wife! ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm sorry that you've lost sleep, John! :(

No, I didn't try the factory defaulting method for the Blu-ray Player and probably won't as I really don't think that is the issue as it works fine on our other two TVs. The more I think of it, I really think it is something that has developed with the two HDMI inputs on the Sony Bravia TV.

In addition, I'm currently a bit preoccupied with arranging the logistics for two medical related appointments tomorrow, one of those involving getting the first of two COVID-19 Vaccine injections! Maybe I'll decide to try the Blu-ray Player factory reset thing once I'm over whatever side effects the Oxford Astra Zeneca jab might bring?

On the plus side, you should be able to show this post to your wife! ;)

That's right. There are priorities that supersede HT troubleshooting. Sometimes I forget. :)

Also, not to worry as there was a degree of hyperbole associated with my pervious comment, although the truly bizarre problems do eat at me.

Congrats on getting the vaccine! Let's hope for no side effects whatsoever. That was basically my experience, save a sore arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks