What's new

HDMI connection to TV for PC Laptop keeps failing! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A few days ago, my 32 inch Toshiba TV started periodically losing the video signal from my Acer PC Laptop, which is connected via HDMI from both ends.

What has been consistent is each time I lift the lid on my PC Laptop, my TV starts receiving the HDMI signal again.

When my TV stopped picking up the HDMI signal again this morning, just in case the HDMI wiring was a factor, I did switch with the new one I bought a couple of weeks ago. No luck. Lifting my PC Laptop lid did reestablish the connection, however.

My question is what might be the cause of this recently developed issue, if not the HDMI wiring? That my lifting the Laptop lid immediately reestablishes connection has been a consistent fix, I figure it has to do with my Laptop, but what exactly?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Does your laptop go into a "sleep mode" when the lid is closed?
On the main Windows 10 settings, I have my laptop set to "never" for shut down and sleep modes when plugged in.

However, I did just notice that on my additional "High performance" power settings, it had been set to turn off the display after 10 minutes when plugged in. That said, all that would happen previously is my laptop display would revert to my login screen for which there was HDMI connection from PC to TV. This appears to be a whole different issue. Nevertheless, I did just switch to "Never" for turning off the display when plugged in, on the off chance that MIGHT somehow fix the issue.

Thank you for your input! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I hope that fixes it. My old laptop would blank the screen when closing the lid even though it was set to not go into sleep mode. Check your display settings and see if there's something similar to that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hope that fixes it. My old laptop would blank the screen when closing the lid even though it was set to not go into sleep mode. Check your display settings and see if there's something similar to that.
I also somewhat put it down to Windows 10 quirks. Sometimes. I'll go for ages without any kind of time sensitive logouts, only for them to become inexplicably routine, for some unknown reason. I wonder if this latest quirk might be Windows 10 update related? It's really hard to gauge and is quite frankly annoying.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m a Mac for my home computing but my job has supplied me with a Windows laptop for remote work. I use it with headphones since the built in speakers aren’t great for me to hear the level of detail I usually need to hear for my work.

About a month ago, the headphones just stopped working. Everything was physically fine but the computer would not switch from the built in speakers to the headphones.

IT remoted in and took a look and the problem had been caused my one of those automatic Windows updates which had somehow adjusted some setting no one had expected it would. Apparently it happened to a bunch of my colleagues so that had known what to look for.

All of that’s to say, I wouldn’t bet against Windows update inadvertently changing a setting.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, Windows updates are very often the cause of odd hardware quirks. They seem to like to revert or change obscure settings. We have all our Windows 10 Pro work machines set to ignore updates as long as possible.

Jeff_L

Agent
In the search bar next to the Windows Start button in the bottom left corner type control panel and hit enter. If your Control Panel shows categories, click Hardware and Sound, then Power Options. If it shows icons, click Power Options. On the left side you will see written choices, click Choose what closing the lid does. Make sure When I close the lid is set to Do Nothing when Plugged in, and maybe even On battery also.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In the search bar next to the Windows Start button in the bottom left corner type control panel and hit enter. If your Control Panel shows categories, click Hardware and Sound, then Power Options. If it shows icons, click Power Options. On the left side you will see written choices, click Choose what closing the lid does. Make sure When I close the lid is set to Do Nothing when Plugged in, and maybe even On battery also.
Just checked it, and it is already set to do nothing when plugged in.

However, I have discovered another problem, which may or may not be Windows 10 Update related. I've lost the ability to full screen photos in the Windows 10 Photo App. I did try the F11 function, but that didn't help, either. There always seems to be some new glitch/es with every Windows update these days, UGH! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks