What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDMI issues (1 Viewer)

RCosmoJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Wilson
Hello, I'm hooking up a new receiver to my projector. For some reason when I connect a 3ft HDMI cable the projector works fine. When I try to connect the same type of HDMI cable 6ft it doesn't work. The projector is a BenQ MS510 and the receiver is a Samsung HW-C700B. The reason I'm having a problem is because my projector is 6ft from the receiver, not 3ft. Any suggestions? Thanks.

RCosmoJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Wilson
I have. I've tried about 6 different HDMI cables. Every version 1.3b, 1.3c, 1.4 and in a variety of lengths. Could I need a booster to get from 3ft to 6ft?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Have you tried using the 6 foot cable to connect one of your HDMI sources directly to the projector (bypassing the receiver)?

If that works, then you know the cable isn't the problem, it's something with the receiver.

Very odd to have such a problem going from 3' to 6'.

RCosmoJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Wilson
I've tried each cable from the Sat to the projector, no problems. Furthermore, I've tried all of the cables to a HD TV from the receiver and they all work fine. It is the receiver to this projector that isn't work (except for two 3ft cables). The latest one I bought was a $60 Phillips high-speed cable, and again, no luck. Weird.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by RCosmoJ

It is the receiver to this projector that isn't work (except for two 3ft cables).

Sounds like the problem is definitely with the receiver, then. Considering that HDMI cables require even the slightest bit of electrical current to transmit the signal, the output "power" (for lack of a better term) from the receiver may be really low. If the receiver is still under warranty, it can probably be serviced, and the HDMI out port replaced if that is indeed the problem.

I can't imagine the HDMI signal really needing *that* much power, but I've heard of stranger things. If the ouput voltage is near zero, that could explain the inability to go 6 feet.

RCosmoJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Wilson
Just spoke with Samsung. They said that the HDMI would only be able to transmit a signal on a cable 5ft or less. Really? I guess I will try an HDMI repeater then. Thanks for the help on the forum.

scubadude

Auditioning
Real Name
ang
did you ever solve this problem. I've gone thru all the same troubleshooting stuff that you have gone thru (unfortunately I found your post after I did all my troubleshooting). I have a samsung HW-c700 and I"m trying to feed the signal to a Benq MX511. It occasionally flashes but mostly reverts back to the benq screen and says 'searching for signal'. I am connecting over HDMI. note - component works fine BUT I WANT TO USE HDMI connecting directly from my cable box or dvd to the projector with the HDMI cable works prefectly. The issue is between the receiver and the projector and I believe hits a SAMSUNG receiver issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks