What's new

HD DVD's Any help please! (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello.
I have a Toshiba HD player. Works great! (But).
I see on some of the HD movies I have got.
They will not load. Most I have. Just kick right in and play.
But a hand full. Will not load at all. And yes. They are HD Disc. And help on this?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,

One is. The rest are not.
And the disc is new.

Was not even open. I opened it.
And zip. Will not load& play.
It tries to load. But will not. ;(

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi,

One is. The rest are not.
And the disc is new.

Was not even open. I opened it.
And zip. Will not load& play.
It tries to load. But will not. ;(
I would use a soft cloth, like a micro-fiber, to clean the disc by wiping from center to edge. Not in a circle.

I know, it's unplayed, but it's very old and has been in a case for years.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
That is a good idea. I did try that.
Zip zero. And yes. It has been in the case for years
on end. Will put this one in my HD do not play shelf.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Are they Warner Bros.? That studio in particular had a lot of problems with HD-DVD disc rot.
I don't see any rot on the disc. Yes, they are Warner Bros.
But then you may not really see it? I have had Laser discs with rot on them. You could tell.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Your thread title states “HD DVD” but your post only says HD player, making me wonder if any of this has to do with format compatibility. Is your player an actual (now defunct) HD-DVD player and are the discs HD-DVDs or are we talking about regular DVDs or Blu-rays?

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
Yes, the discs are HD discs. I have been getting them on EBay. I have a Toshiba HD player.
And yes it is now a defunct HD player.
I got it way back when. New. It works great. plays everyday DVDs great. And most of the HD discs I have.
But Im running into a hand full of HD discs. That is when I put them in. I get can not play/read discs. Dog Day Afternoon. With Al Pacino. HD Disc. Is one that will not play. Watched The Fast and the Furious HD disc last night.
Played great. This has me thinking I'm getting some bum disc. Even the ones that are new. But then. They are from way back when. And sitting where?? Have a friend. Came over last night. And had his new girlfriend with him. He said. Let's watch a VHS tape. And she goes. What's a VHS tape?
Have a good one.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
My Toshiba purchased in 2006 still works just fine, but my HDDVDs were all dead within 5 years with IMAX The Dream is Alive being the sole exception.

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
I have 47 HD-DVD discs still. My collection peaked at 92 but as 4Ks come out I've been prioritizing the HD-DVDs for replacement.

Only had one WB title die before I replaced it(after 6 years). I've watched 3 of them this last year and they all worked.

I was worried enough that I got a spare player when things got cheap after the shutdown but I haven't had to inbox it yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My hd dvd player has been in a drawer for years.
I guess I could try to sell it along with the 15 or so discs I have.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I think I got a bum HD disc. It can happen. All the other HD discs I have been getting. All play fine. And I'm glad I got that Toshiba player.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't see any rot on the disc. Yes, they are Warner Bros.
But then you may not really see it? I have had Laser discs with rot on them. You could tell.
I traded in a bunch of HD DVDs to Warner during their Red2Blue promotion in 2009 or so. I think they charged $5 to get the Blu-ray version of every HD DVD sent in. It was how I started my Blu-ray collection. I hope they are not charging much on the used market for those discs. I'd feel better getting a cheap digital than a used HD DVD. I still have a Toshiba player in the attic, but I tossed my remaining HD DBDs.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The manufacturer used by Warner had a huge problem with discs rotting. I am up to 59 discs now that no longer play at all or freeze up at some point. Some of them played fine years ago but have since degraded. A lot of their regular DVDs made during that time have gone bad also; there is a thread about those at the top. Pretty pathetic that Warner was the main company that pushed the DVD format and then went with such a shoddy manufacturer- I think they first owned it then sold it to Cinram, and has since shut down.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could firmware be an issue? Some discs may not play due to outdated DRM protocol?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The update for the HD-A35 is 4.0, released in 2008. I only know this because I have the disk. Unfortunately, HD DVDs are problematic. I have several, including the first season of star trek, which is cool, but I get inconsistent play back. I'm actually looking to sell my player and will throw in the discs with when I do. The player works great as a DVD player. Interestingly enough, I was reading an article that claimed dvd sales still surpassed blu ray. Physical media sales still in the billions.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I see that Physical media sales are still very strong.
I have all the setups.
DVD. HD DVD. 4K DVD. Blu-ray DVD. VHS Tapes. And LaserDisc.
Looks like online streaming may not take over for some time now.
And there are still millions without the high-speed net to stream things the right way. And the dropouts on the net speed. Yes! I still want my disc in my hand.
Just picked up a new Blu-Ray disc from Ebay.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
The update for the HD-A35 is 4.0, released in 2008. I only know this because I have the disk. Unfortunately, HD DVDs are problematic. I have several, including the first season of star trek, which is cool, but I get inconsistent play back. I'm actually looking to sell my player and will throw in the discs with when I do. The player works great as a DVD player. Interestingly enough, I was reading an article that claimed dvd sales still surpassed blu ray. Physical media sales still in the billions.
Yes they can be. One more reason for there down fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks