What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release- (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Would you spend $1K on an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player so you can watch your $50 high definition discs get downrezed? Not me brother. What's the point?

Let's see if have this straight so far:

1) We'll have two competing HD disc formats that (as far as we know) will require separate players initially priced at around $1000 a piece.
2) HD resolutions will be output via HDMI only, cutting out the majority of HDTV owners from the video improvement the format was designed to deliver.
3) HD content will be downrezed to standard definition over component connections, affecting the majority of HDTV consumers.

Forgive me for shaking my head in disbelief! :angry: Could any sane person consider this a successful marketing srategy for a new home video format? This "plan" has either been devised by the people behind DualDisc or Dick Sharp is on the payroll! It's as if the industry has gone out of its WAY to make high definition DVD a failure before it's even out of the gate.

When I saw this thread I was very excited about what it might hold in the way of news, but as I read it my heart just sank. Competing, incompatible formats would be bad enough, but the HDMI thing is the icing on the cake. How completely disappointing. I was an early adopter of DVD and would love to be with HD as well, but it looks like I'll be sitting this one out for quite a while.

Way to go Hollywood. :thumbsdown:

WillardK

Second Unit
It's been said in other threads, but DVD/HD-DVD is not so easily comparable to VHS/DVD or especially vinyl/CD (I still have some vinyl releases that I prefer over their digital counterparts, but I can't say the same about VHS).

Glancing at those titles, there is nothing to make me reconsider holding off on HD-DVD. But this is typical in my experience with the choices initially issued to herald new technology in audio or video (cable VOD offerings are so far of little interest in my house). Most of the titles I purchase are not best sellers and are unlikely to be issued or re-issued on HD for years (overdue re-issue of Liquid Sky anyone?) I could count on one hand the DVD's I've bought that have since been released in improved versions. So I'm interested in what's to come, but not at all worried about my collection becoming obsolete.

Yep. For some time at least, the indecision over format in addition to hardware requirements have all but guaranteed this to be a niche for the riche (and nouveau-riche). It would be foolish for studios to make an immediate exclusive switch.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Try another analogy - SACD and DVD-Audio. Competing formats? Check. Scattered and unfocused marketing? Check. Need to buy new equipment to play them? Mostly check. Difficult to understand connections because of industry copy protection concerns? Check. Won't work unless your receiver/processor has the proper inputs? Check. Of no interest to most of the buying public because they're perfectly happy with CD/MP3 audio quality? Check. Niche market products after several years? Big check.

If the issues currently surrounding high definition DVD aren't reslolved by the industry quickly, it could very well follow the same path as SACD and DVD-Audio.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm fortunate that I have an HDMI input on my RPTV, so I haven't thought much about it... but will the older DVI inputs not work for HD?

Right now, there are plenty of people who are buying HDMI->DVI adapters to connect upscaling SD-DVD players with HDMI outputs to their DVI-input only monitors. Wouldn't the same hold true with HD-DVD/Blu-ray players?

In the last decade, we went thru the composite to S-video transition, and the S-video to component transition, and both times I was left behind in the early days (in fact, only catching up to component inputs and progressive scan in the last year).

But I would like one thing cleared up about the "HD via HDMI only". Why exactly? HD-TV broadcasts work via component inputs, why not HD-DVD? Is it some sort of copy protection issue? Which would seem odd, as in the hi-res music world it's the digital connections that are crippled by the industry, not the analog ones.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i want a poll

why did you buy dvd and not just stick with vhs and ld ?????

picture and sound quality

or something else

i bet over 58% of us chose dvd due to the former and i for one hate dvd pictures and yet i own over 2000.
the only reason i got dvd was the res increase nad the fact lasers dried up

i will be buying both formats.
as there is software for launch and therefore like my ld player always something to watch.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Fair analogy, but other than the "dual formats" I don't think it's accurate. I think Multi-channel audio is a failure due to the fact that it doesn't really "sound" any better than stereo CD's on a properly set up, quality sound system. Where as the picture quality on a true HD video format should be obvious, even to the most novice of TV watchers.

WillardK

Second Unit

It's not that simple. Pricing was a major factor in DVD's success. If HD-DVD requires tiered pricing to coexist with DVD, we have yet another reason why DVD's reign as standard will be prolonged.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I think it's completely accurate. I'd argue that SACD and DVD-Audio do indeed sound superior to CD on a quality, properly calibrated sound system. That's part of their problem - you need good equipment to realize their potential. But the vast majority of people just don't care. They're happy with 2 channel Redbook CD or MP3.

Another reason I think it's a valid analogy is that multi-channel audio is a more immersive auditory experience than 2 channel stereo. That's its main draw. High-def DVD offers the same promise of increased experience from a visual standpoint.

I stand by my comments.

Christian Heber

Auditioning

Peter, do you really live in Sweden? Or are you just dreaming how you wish it'd be? ;)
Sweden is switching from analogue to digital broadcasting, that's all. HDTV broadcasting is something different and is many years away. Which probably means HD-DVD is many years way also, at least in Europe.
By the way, the European TV-companies have agreed upon 720p instead of 1080p for HDTV. Quantity instead of quality, of course.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Ok, well... picture and sound quality, yes. But also:

1. Less storage space that VHS/LD
2. Less wear and tear than VHS
3. More convenient than LD (no disc changes, etc)
4. Cheaper pricing than LD
5. Wider availability than LD

My suggestion to you show-offs with oversized HD displays is this. Get yourselves a smaller screen. Say, less than 42 inches. That way DVD will look just dandy and you won't be constantly comparing it to TV broadcast quality! Simple. Cheap. Perfect!

John

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Bravo. Even the worst DVD transfer is still miles better than anything we've seen before.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

I could not agree more! I meant in a worse case scenario for the poor sods w/out DVI (like yours truly). I have no intention of upgrading my TV anytime soon, and this entire format war thing is enough to discourage my support at all. But, if worse comes to worse, at least I can watch HD discs downconverted (which, IMO, can still look incredible) until I do upgrade. I am much more likely to look into a good video scaler to upconvert 480i/p --> 1080i at this point. That way, my LDs will also benefit.....

Best case scenario: Blu-ray will wait until HD-DVD rolls out and pisses people w/out DVI off. Then Blu-ray will enter stage right, and allow HD video over component and grab all of the business that HD-DVD glossed over, in addition to the films exclusive to BR. Game over. I know, that's dreaming...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I love DVD -- but just to make it official, there are some rare examples where a VHS copy was actually preferable to the DVD version (CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS).

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm ,seeing the other British/Europeans talking about this subject has made me rethink this HD thing.
I was excited about it at first,but then i realised that theres no way that many of us will be able to afford the display,let alone 2 separate players.

Everything in Europe seems to cost a third again more than the equivalent item in the USA/Japan-so you are talking 6-7 grand for a 1080p capable display over here then? In about 2-3 years when they actually start selling them over here?

Then theres 2 grand on top of that for the 2 hd players,oh and another grand for a new amp to playback dts-hd or whatever.

It just isnt going to happen anytime soon over here.

In regard to the posts about upgrading from vinyl to cd,or vhs to dvd-this next "upgrade" isnt the same.

Vinyl and CD both played back through the same speakers/amp.
VHS and DVD both were viewed with existing display tech (you didnt need a new TV to watch DVD is my point).

To view High Def you do need a new TV,or theres just no point in buying Hi Def players?

I cant afford to spend that sort of money ,so looks like i'll be sticking with DVD until Hi Def comes into an affordable price range-in about 5 years then in Europe.

Looks like the USA and Japan will be the studios' income in hd for a while,and from the comments on here,most of the Americans arent going to be early adopters.

It's future is looking grim.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

That title is part of the public domain hell so you'll have to search out the Brentwood version or the region free version. BU is rumored for a release this year as well.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
"It's future is looking grim. "

Hi Jim

As a fellow Brit, I think a workable stopgap for us is:

1. Get a decent contrast projector with a resolution of 1280x 720 eg Sony Hs50 for £1500, or Panasonic AE700 for £1300
2. Use a HTPC (home theatre pc) - and get a HD-DVD PC rom drive - I'm guessing these will be £300-500 at launch.

I think with this set up we will get a decent high def performance. Its not the total high def resolution but the 1080 projectors are going to be very expensive (even for the americans!)

Thats what I'm planning on doing.

And when prices come down in a few years upgrade to the 1080 projectors. I don't think current dvds are 'good enough' in terms of picture quality and will gladly embrace a better resolution solution. We already know that Bluray will be releasing a BDrom PC drive next year so hopefully I can just install that next to my HD-DVD rom drive in my HTPC. I expect the pc will need to be high spec and with lots of ram. Also the software players like Powerdvd/Winddvd will need to support the next technologies but I would expect them to when they release future versions. We may need hardware decoder cards in the pcs - there's little info out there at the moment.

Hope we Europeans can join the high def party!

Brad E

Second Unit
I was very late to dvd. I just bought my first dvd movie and player about this time last year.

I really don't want to change formats right away. Not until one of them emerges the victor and goes mainstream. Then the prices might be reasonable.
But if blu-ray is the night and day difference that I have been hearing, it will be hard to resist.

Until then, I will be very happy to buy dvd's from anyone who doesn't want them anymore. For dirt cheap of course. ;)
Ebay is going to make a fortune off this format change.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

I had a friend who tried to play the WMP-HD version of Terminator 2 only to discover it had a DRM which could only be accessed by those living in the US . I wonder if this is still an issue .

To those comparing CD/SACD to DVD/BlueRay I say pish and piddle . CD sound is 'good enough' for most people I know , and many are happy with MP3 as well . But some of the same people were very impressed by an HD demenstration at Harrods a few weeks back , and nearly all have since talked about getting an HD set in the future . Even a poorly set up HD display looks a hella lot better than SD , but poorly set up SACD/DVD-A sounds indistinguishable from CD . And with the switch from analogue to digital connectors I'd imagine these new systems will be easier not harder to connect properly .

BTW there are some HD sets already on sale in the UK , they're just not advertised as such . If you look at the screen resolution of some top plasma and LCD TVs you should be able to tell which are HD and which aren't . About £3000 for a 30 inch set , and £6000 for a 50 incher .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks