What's new
World Wide Stereo

have a problem with firmware updates (1 Viewer)

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
deciding to sell off my toshiba xa2...only as i do not have a library of sd dvd, and not much dollar into hd dvds........i stumbled across a toshiba hd-a1 in the local thrift store for $8.00 !.......seems to run fine, and figure i would use it just for the hd movies i own for occasional veiwing.

the only problem i see with it , is i cannot get the firmware to update via the iso image method...have never had any problems updating the xa2.... but the a1 just says "notplay" in the display....

tried it with at least 5 burnt images on cd-r but just keep getting the same message...when i click initialize it just goes straight back to the set up menu also....otherwise plays the movies.....any ideas what the problem is ?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This might seem like an obvious question, but you are attempting to update the firmware with the correct update, right? Each series of Toshi players has a different set of firmware updates. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that it's an issue with your burning software. There are lots of freeware and shareware programs out there dedicated to burning .iso images, so maybe try one of those and see if it solves the problem.

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
i downloaded the correct file for the a1 from tosh site, and used 2 different iso image programs...but still the same...

now seems like it dos not want to display video via the hdmi connection either...only get video via r/b/g hook up leads ??..

of course maybe this is why it was only $8.00

updating firmware is a must as it will not play the newer hd dvd realeases without updates .......thanks

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
sadly not set up for that connection... but tried agian with iso...now on my tenth disc...just keep getting the "notplay" in the a1's display....

but agian ...plays fine via component leads...but seems hdmi needs to be set somewere in the player..as it fails this connection everytime...and i do not have the remote to set this either...

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
well worth the $8.00 .....got a harmony 676 remote on the craiglist for $10.00 like new...programmed and now functions the a1 hdmi thing....watched a few hd's and plays smooth as can be......excellent

luigionlsd

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Coyne
If you have an XA2, chances are the remote will still work with the A1, however the XA2 (to my knowledge) does not have/need the V.Output button the A1 uses to switch video outputs. Your Harmony should do that, but just try it out.

Have you checked in the settings menu that you don't already have the latest firmware already? Version 3.0 (previously 2.8) came out on April 23, so you may want to try downloading that (either ISO or via the ethernet port). Also, try burning to DVD-R, or at a slower speed. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks