What's new

Hank 1965 nbc sitcom has been cleared for release! (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually "Trials" should be either CBS/Paramount or MGM since it says it was Filmways produced.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The list of unreleased shows for the season leaves out "Peyton Place S2" since the released episodes only cover 64-65.

With "Hank" and Kildare S5 added to the released or definitely will-be column that makes 45 of 72 which makes 63% of the entire season of filmed programs.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jack P said:
Actually "Trials" should be either CBS/Paramount or MGM since it says it was Filmways produced.
That's right; it's technically MGM, but isn't their "distribution" deal with Fox still operational?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
That's right; it's technically MGM, but isn't their "distribution" deal with Fox still operational?

Not sure about that because I don't believe Fox had anything to do with all of the shows that MGM licensed out to Timeless and to TGG Direct. Those came straight from MGM without any Fox involvement.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
I know I'm beating a dead horse but since it is my all time grail show, please pardon me...I just don't get how some of the shows from 65 like the Baron or Hank can be released (no offense to those shows, I'm actually extremely glad Hank is coming) when a hit show like Run For Your Life that ran 3 full seasons is lying around unreleased.

The Baron came out because the British company Network has released just about everything it owns in the ITC library, save for a few series produced for the US or Canadian markets. And Hank is a Warner Archives title and they are putting out everything they can that doesn't have any licensing issues. RFYL is hurt by the split ownership issue I believe as we haven't seen anything released that was Universal/Roncom.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I never heard of this show, but the actor listed as guesting in this episode on Wikipedia makes me curious:

"Will the Real Harvey Wheatley Please Stand Up?"
September 24, 1965
Hank transforms a personality-challenged egghead (Bob Balaban) into the most sought-after man on campus.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
DeWilson said:
Is this the most obsure WB Show of the 1960's? It's great to see it come out.

Jericho was pretty obscure to me, as is Hank. I will be getting this, as I did Jericho. I didn't have sound, but looked like pressed discs in the link.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
ChrisALM said:
Jericho was pretty obscure to me, as is Hank. I will be getting this, as I did Jericho. I didn't have sound, but looked like pressed discs in the link.

Jericho, as did most MGM series, had a decent run on TNT. So I would say its not well known but I don't consider shows that have run in the taping era to be that obscure. Among the MGM shows which Turner owned, about the only ones which TNT never aired episodes of are Hank, Sam Benedict, Father of the Bride, Harry's Girls, Many Happy Returns, Asphalt Jungle, The Eleventh Hour, Adam's Rib and The Islanders. Out of those, only Hank and Adam's Rib are in color.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Jack P said:
The Trials of O'Brien is owned by MGM (which owns the Filmways catalog acquired as a a result of buying Orion Pictures), which means that Fox would be handling the DVD set if they decided to release it on DVD.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'm about 2/3's through the "Hank" set, and I've found it to be breezy fun, for the most part. Seems to be a particularly well-produced series, never looking cheap or cheesy. Good mix of outdoor/indoor backdrops, lots of extras walking around, and a nice Vic Mizzy score which automatically adds a sort of welcome, nostalgic 1960s-tv flavor. Some of the scripts get a bit contrived, though. Probably not a surprise, considering the limitations of the series premise. Yet, there are some totally solid outings. Saw an episode the other day, which was practically a textbook case of slick (old-fashioned) sitcom comedy. It involved Hank and his girlfriend trying to boost the confidence of a co-ed friend of theirs, through a variety of means, ending up in a campus-queen contest. Lively little script, that didn't waste a single minute.

I also got a reflexive laugh from an otherwise hair brained episode which involved Hank taking the guise of a Cherokee Indian friend and student. Dopey nonsense, probably the worst episode, albeit gloriously un-PC. But what amused me was the frenzied wife of the Coach, who is terrified by Hank's war-whoops and the re-enactment of an Indian raid, and she utters the line "I'd feel safer if Hoot Gibson were here.". The kicker being that the actress playing the Coach's wife was Sheila Bromley, who had actually happened to have been a leading lady to Hoot Gibson (among many other b-western cowboys) way back in 1932, over thirty years prior to this.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I plan to get this series in the next week. I remember this show from way back, and it was highly thought of at the time. Of course it was one of the few series at the time that had a true finale, along with The Fugitive and Route 66. What a tragic end for actor Dick Kallman, who was murdered in 1980.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I didn't remember this show at all. But, it is one of the better blind buys for me.

Dick Kallman (I had never heard of him) is very good in his various characters and Dabbs Greer is great as the frustrated college coach.

I have to say I'm somewhat surprised that this show didn't get another season. Oh, well.

I always welcome those releases of mid 60s shows.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bert Greene said:
I also got a reflexive laugh from an otherwise hair brained episode which involved Hank taking the guise of a Cherokee Indian friend and student. Dopey nonsense, probably the worst episode, albeit gloriously un-PC. But what amused me was the frenzied wife of the Coach, who is terrified by Hank's war-whoops and the re-enactment of an Indian raid, and she utters the line "I'd feel safer if Hoot Gibson were here.". The kicker being that the actress playing the Coach's wife was Sheila Bromley, who had actually happened to have been a leading lady to Hoot Gibson (among many other b-western cowboys) way back in 1932, over thirty years prior to this.

So far, that's been the funniest episode that I've seen. Didn't pick up on the Hoot Gibson connection. Thanks for pointing that one out.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Here again the full list of 65-66 season shows on DVD for that year.

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Bonanza
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel Boone
Dick Van Dyke Show
F Troop
Flipper
Get Smart!
Gidget
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
Hazel
Hogan's Heroes
Honey West
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
My Favorite Martian
My Mother the Car
Patty Duke Show
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
The Addams Family
The Baron
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Munsters
The Virginian
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Wild, Wild West

43 on the nose with two more pending. I forget what the final total of shows for the year there are would be if we eliminated variety and game shows.
Daktari didn't start airing until January 1966.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just found out about this show the other day. I had watched an episode of Gunsmoke from December 26, 1964 entitled "Hammerhead". An actress by the name of Linda Foster was in it. Out of curiosity , I checked to find what other shows she appeared in. I found out that she had a regular role in Hank. After reading a description of the show, I thought this sounds interesting. I saw Warner Archive released it on DVD a few years ago. I ended up buying it from an Ebay dealer for less than $20.00. Also the discs are pressed, not DVD-Rs. I am looking forward to adding it to my viewing rotation sometime soon. This show sounds comparable to Tammy and Karen both with Debbie Watson-all on for just 1 season, but all fun programs to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks