What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
It is odd that they would sell season 1 by itself and not with season 2 since combined they have the typical number of episodes of a network show..

Do we know that individual season sets definitely won't have extras?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
albert_m2 said:
It is odd that they would sell season 1 by itself and not with season 2 since combined they have the typical number of episodes of a network show..

Do we know that individual season sets definitely won't have extras?
The season disks are going to be the same disks containing the episodes as in the complete series. So any episode commentaries will be included, and possibly a few more extras scattered through out. They just won't contain the specific extras that TL puts on separate bonus disks. If you look at the TL site they have separated out 4 bonus disks with quite a bit of content, including reunions. I will bet that they will never be released outside the complete series. However, you might find bits here and there on youtube.

As for the season one release, while i agree about combining seasons one and two from a logical perspective, TL doesn't usually release a season one with the overall complete series. Typically, they make you wait to try and get as many as possible to buy the complete series. I'm guessing they wanted to get something out there but didn't want to offer too much. A few episodes like season one with a lot of advertisement about what is included within the complete series describing the extras was probably worth it to them to do it this way.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I really, really prefer standard packaging, whether it be season set or a complete series in a regular style box. I would prefer the complete series be released in a standard box down the line, if not I'll likely get the season sets even if means missing out on the reunions (which for this show I would enjoy a lot, but there is a tipping point and for me it's like that package)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi albert,

i know that brad and i disagree, but i think you will be able to purchase EVERYTHING with standard packaging down the line.

the releases are getting better. the companies are becoming more responsive to the public's desires.

i do not think we will always be forced to buy a mantelpiece in order to get all the extras.

i guess time will tell on that one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
we will eventually be able to get the complete series, with all the extras, without buying the white elephant packaging.
jimmyjet said:
we will not be forced to buy a mantelpiece to get all the extras.

I'm really getting tired of speculation being offered as fact.

Any member of the forum can speculate as much as they want about what will or won't be included in any release (single-season or complete series).

But PLEASE refrain from stating something as fact when it is nothing but a guess and not even an informed guess from an industry insider.

Just a simple "I think..." or "I believe..." or "Based on prior practices, I bet..." ANYTHING that gives a clear picture that the statement of assertion is actually not factual but a wish or a guess.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered the high end set. Not for the dime store throwaway stuff, but for the autographed yearbook.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
bryan,

the lady in your avatar looks very similar to the middle lady in the url that you posted.

are they the same person ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
STARVISTA ENTERTAINMENT/TIME LIFE ADDS​
EIGHT ADDITIONAL HOURS OF BONUS PROGRAMMING
TO THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES
With Bonus Feature Production Wrapped, New Additions to the
Now 23 HOURS of Exclusive Extras Include Commentary on All Six Takes
of Kevin and Winnie's First Kiss, Brand New Featurettes and the
Complete One Hour Finale as it Originally Aired on ABC
Fairfax, VA -- Production has just wrapped on the exclusive extras for
THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES - including featurettes, commentary, in-depth interviews and more -and StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is excited to announce that eight additional hours of bonus programming will be added to the DVD set, for a total of 23 hours (from the originally announced 15)! THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES is available for pre-ordersnow at TimeLife.com/WonderYears.

The new bonus features include:

[*]Commentary of the first kiss outtakes by Fred (Savage) and Danica (McKellar). As previously announced, the DVD set will include all six takes of the legendary first kiss from Pilot episode, with Fred and Danica originally only commenting on Take #6. Now, the set features commentary from the stars on the previous five takes, and they explain how they nailed it on take #6.
[/list]
[*]"That's a Wrap! Mark B. Perry's Farewell Set Tour Season 5" -- Writer/Producer Mark B. Perry's home video set tour from the end of his final season on the show, which includes new commentary from him.
[/list]
[*]"From the Vault: Alley Mills and Bob Brush Letters" -- Alley Mills reads her emotional, written conversation with Executive Producer Bob Brush about the show's finale.
[/list]
[*]The one-hour finale as it was originally aired on ABC on May 12, 1993, including a deleted scene not included in the half-hour broadcasts of the final two episodes (both the one-hour finale and half-hour versions of the final two episodes will be included in the extras).
[/list] Expanded featurettes including:

[*]"I Love You for Sentimental Reasons: Fan Favorite Episodes" -- This featurette was produced using comments posted by fans on the official StarVista Entertainment/Time Life Wonder Years Facebook page (if your quote is below, you're in the featurette!)
[/list]"...the (episode) where Kevin and Wayne fight about the empty bedroom"

"The final scene with Wart is absolutely brutal"

"I love (the episode) where they can see their neighbor's....uh, tomatoes!"

"Any episode with Becky Slater"

"We're thrilled to be adding eight new hours of bonus programming to the already robust set of extras," says Jeffrey Peisch, the Senior Vice President, Entertainment Programming & Marketing for StarVista Entertainment/Time Life. "Thanks to our creative, hard-working production team and the incredibly supportive cast and crew of The Wonder Years, we're going to be delivering a set sure to thrill series fans, who've been eagerly awaiting its release for years."

Never before released on DVD in its entirety - and available now for pre-order -- THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES will be presented as a 26-disc collector's set featuring all 115 episodes housed in a replica metal locker, along with a host of extras including 23 total hours of specially-produced bonus programming --- featurettes, an incredible cast reunion 16 years in the making and never-before-seen outtakes. THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES will be available exclusively online at TimeLife.com/WonderYears for $249.95. Also available day-and-date are THE WONDER YEARS EXPERIENCE ($299.95),which includes all the elements from the COMPLETE SERIES, along with a selection of limited-edition memorabilia created exclusively for this set: a Kennedy Junior High School tee shirt, tube socks, and a vintage gym bag; a Kennedy Junior High School pennant and commemorative patch, The Wonder Years collectible pins, and a newly-produced Wonder Years CD, and THE WONDER YEARSSIGNATURE EDITION ($499.95),limited to 500 sets, includes everything from the COMPLETE SERIES and EXPERIENCE editions; each set will also be hand-signed by Fred Savage, Danica McKellar and other cast members, housed in a numbered locker and accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Ya know, they're really playing up big time all this bonus material which is starting to has always made me very skeptical ! I think they're trying to hide the fact that a lot of the original music won't be in the set.

Yeah, I know, someone at StarVista said that around 300 songs had received clearance, BUT, help me out here - couldn't there have realistically been about 8 - 10 different songs per episode ? If so, that would mean if you started with the 1st episode and all of the cleared songs were continuous throughout an episode and from one episode to the next, only the first 30 - 38 episodes would have the original music and the remaining 77 - 85 episodes would have canned music!

O.k., what if there were only half as many songs per episode as I stated above (i.e., 5). That would cover 60 episodes - which is only a hair over half of them. None of y'all are concerned about this ?.....or, is it you just can't bear to think about it for fear it will burst your bubble about this long-awaited, much anticipated series?

You all know Time-Life's (StarVista) record and how they lie in their ads, but in this case, I don't know if they're actually lying, it's just that none of us have been doing the math and it's probably time that we did !

(...once completed, put your pencils down and look toward the front of the class)

Oh, and BTW, that new featurette: "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons: Fan Favorite Episodes".....if this is just a bunch of Facebook/Twitter quotes (and even if they include a few seconds of a clip).....that's just plain pathetic!!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ i'm always concerned until things come out and people (other people!!) have time to check it out for the rest of us. One of the best things about HTF is folks on here won't let us waste our money.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jetskier said:
...couldn't there have realistically been about 8 - 10 different songs per episode ?
I haven't seen the show in years but I would think that number is way too high. 8 to 10 songs in a 23 or 24 minute episode would mean that was a song on average of every 2 to 3 minutes and that's basically impossible.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Travis,It is way too high. I can't recall any episode that had more than three songs in it (excluding the opening Richie Havens number in the total). I could be wrong, but I'm thinking two was the 'norm' on average.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A select few episodes did have close to 8, 9 or 10 song clips. One that comes to mind is the final S1 episode, "Dance with Me," which has 9 songs. That's unusually high, but it did happen on occasion. But no, the average was not 8 to 10 per episode.

Gary "my guess is that the average, over the entire series, would work out to 3/4 songs per episode" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ockeghem said:
Travis,It is way too high. I can't recall any episode that had more than three songs in it (excluding the opening Richie Havens number in the total). I could be wrong, but I'm thinking two was the 'norm' on average.
Outside the open, I recall there being 3 or 4 songs per episode and, as Gary indicated, more in some episodes. But while Havens *did* cover "With a Little Help..." it was the Joe Cocker version that was used on the show open.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
BobO'Link said:
But while Havens *did* cover "With a Little Help..." it was the Joe Cocker version that was used on the show open.
Correct. When Amazon and Netflix were offering "The Wonder Years" one of the replacements was the opening. I'm not sure who sung it, but it wasn't Cocker's version.

Gary "if that S1 ep 6 has all the music (it didn't on Amazon/Netflix) I'll be very happy and surprised at the same time" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
jetskier,

people call me overly-optimistic ? well compared to you, i can see why !!

instead of being ridiculously pessimistic, why not just wait for the dang show to come out ?

and then we will all know how complete it is.

as far as advertising goes, of course they are gonna talk about kevin and winnie's first kiss, if they got something for it.

that is a HUGE ADVERTISING PIECE. getting kevin and winnie to talk each attempt is cute, and will help sales.

they have already stated that most of the music got covered. and i highly suspect that between the original statement and when they went to press, they probably got at least a few more.

i think it is realistic to expect that there will be a few instances for many people where some song that they liked, got replaced.

but to go on some tantrum that perhaps most of the songs got canned seems a bit over the top, to say the least.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
jimmyjet said:
jetskier,

people call me overly-optimistic ? well compared to you, i can see why !!

instead of being ridiculously pessimistic, why not just wait for the dang show to come out ?

and then we will all know how complete it is.

as far as advertising goes, of course they are gonna talk about kevin and winnie's first kiss, if they got something for it.

that is a HUGE ADVERTISING PIECE. getting kevin and winnie to talk each attempt is cute, and will help sales.

they have already stated that most of the music got covered. and i highly suspect that between the original statement and when they went to press, they probably got at least a few more.

i think it is realistic to expect that there will be a few instances for many people where some song that they liked, got replaced.

but to go on some tantrum that perhaps most of the songs got canned seems a bit over the top, to say the least.
I agree 100%. Save the opinions until the show comes out. I'm sick of all the pre-release complaints. I'm glad its coming out and will wait until its release before passing judgment. This goes for WKRP as well.

It just shows that you can't please everyone and there are always people who love to complain about something.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Ya know, they're really playing up big time all this bonus material which is starting to has always made me very skeptical ! I think they're trying to hide the fact that a lot of the original music won't be in the set.
Yes they are playing it up. The got the cast together for a reunion. They got fan feedback on favorite episode etc. Seriously, not everything is a conspiracy. Many consumers are not fixated on this aspect and are just nostalgic for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks