Hades froze over......Wonder Years!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron1973, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I'm actually pretty confused about that. There are at least a couple of songs on the "cleared songs" list (like A Kind of Hush and The Letter) that explicitly list artists different than the original, but then there are other songs that are on the "replaced songs" list (like the Blood, Sweat & Tears songs) as using a replacement version by a different artist. If the listings for the former really mean that they just licensed a different recording of the song by a different artist, then I don't understand why some replaced songs are on one list while some are on the other.

2. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

all these questions will soon be answered as reviews pop out

Radioman970 and Ron1973 like this.
  3. High C

High C Stunt Coordinator

Andante
    Someone showed this link to a very interesting oral history of the show:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/08/the-wonder-years-an-oral-history-1.html

Two things jumped out at me--Dan Lauria pulls no punches about the guy he believes was responsible for the show being cancelled, and Fred Savage mentions how much he liked the use of 'Long May You Run' at the end of the ep about the family car. Too bad that's one of the songs that is being replaced. Sigh.

4. High C

High C Stunt Coordinator

Andante
    That should read 'someone showed me this link.' For some reason I can't get the editing function to work. I'm sure the glitch is on my end, not HTF's.

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    That means The Wonder Years is in good company... Perelman was also considered to be largely responsble for Marvel Comics going bankrupt in the '90s.

They recovered, of course, but not without having to farm out the rights to some major characters in lopsided deals that mean we may never see Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four in the Marvel movie universe (or good movies ever again).

6. rdf8585

rdf8585 Stunt Coordinator

rdf8585
    After disappearing for awhile, Amazon has re-listed season one of the Wonder Years with a release date of Oct. 7.

Time Life hasn't officially announced a season one set yet.

The Amazon listing for season one reports it's a two-disc set, but season one only had six episodes.

Michael's Movie Mayhem lists a 610583485097 UPC for the season one set.

7. rdf8585

rdf8585
    Season 1 cover art (via toysrus.com of all places....)

[​IMG]

8. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Second Unit

Nick
    Anyone know why they are not releasing seasons 1 & 2 together since they are both short seasons?! The two seasons combined would be 23 episodes, which is not a lot IMO, looks like they are trying to get more money out of consumers by releasing them separately?!

9. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    In this age of shrinking shelf space, combining the two would be smarter and also give more of an impression of a deal to casual consumers. This isn't a deal and a waste of personal shelf space. Season one was extremely short.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think you answered your own question. :) In fairness to Time Life, they paid to license the show and lots of music so they might have a smaller margin for profit and since they're not the owners, it's not like they made money off the show when it initially aired or was in syndication, etc.

cafink likes this.
  11. rdf8585

rdf8585
    Amazon now lists bonus features for the season one set:

Bonus features include:Highlights from The Wonder Years cast reunion, May 28, 2014Featurette: With a Little Help from My Friends: The Early Days of The Wonder YearsInterviews with:eek: Creators Neal Marlens and Carol Blacko Fred Savageo Danica McKellaro Josh Saviano

12. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    Now this variation of release is intriguing. If these are standard packaged sets as the picture suggests that is...

[​IMG]

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20310

and from Time Life's page:
    It's $99.95.

13. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

I'm curious, is anyone getting the $500 set with autographs from the cast?

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Mine came in today--I probably won't watch it for a while, so don't expect a review--but the packaging is really nice in person. The locker is really sturdy and is really metal, the DVD holders look like binders, and the yearbook is really clever with the signed sections in the front and back just like on a real yearbook. The only concern I had was that the door on the locker was behind one of the stops when I first opened it, and I was afraid I'd scratch it all up trying to open it. It worked out okay somehow. Really quality design, though. I got the cheapest set as I didn't need the clothing and other stuff taking up space and collecting dust. I have no doubt it'll be just as cool and clever, though, for those who want it.

TravisR likes this.
  15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Greg, how big is the "locker" - especially, how tall? Still trying to make up my mind on this, if I can find a place where it will fit I will probably go for it.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I just measured it and it's about a foot tall and six inches both wide and deep. It's sort of heavy and feels pretty solid.

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Greg, thanks for the info. I can make that work on my "tall" shelf, next to the Lost Blu-ray binder. :)

Finally pilled the trigger. Ordered, and shipped.

18. wonderyears_tv

wonderyears_tv New User

Manuel
    Hi guys

I tried to compile all the information about the various DVD releases of The Wonder Years in one place: http://www.wonder-years.tv/twyondvd.php - if you have any corrections or comments, that would be much appreciated

Thanks a lot!

19. Greg_S_H

Greg
    There's word on tvshows about damaged lockers:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wonder-Years-The-Complete-Series/20334

It's not a big surprise since they were shipped in boxes that fit exactly over the locker, with no cushioning whatsoever. The biggest surprise for me is that mine wasn't damaged. I have had bad luck for years with stuff being broken during shipping.

20. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I was, but I had to cancel the pre-order because I have a lot of bills to pay.