What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Green Hornet TV series (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
1TheGreeenHornet1966BruceVanWilliam.jpg

"Another challenge for the Green Hornet, his aide Kato, and their rolling arsenal, the Black Beauty. On police records a wanted criminal, the Green Hornet is really Britt Reid, owner-publisher of The Daily Sentinel; his dual identity known only to his secretary, and to the district attorney. And now, to protect the rights and lives of decent citizens, rides...the Green Hornet!"--William Dozier's main opening title narrative from THE GREEN HORNET (ABC 1966-67) tv series.

These guys are the coolest (so's Wende Wagner)!

If a GREEN HORNET tv series release became a reality could the two BATMAN (ABC 1966-68) Green Hornet-Kato guest shot episodes (for those of us who didn't buy BATMAN) be included as bonus extras in the package or would (insurmountable) legal hurdles obstruct this?

Just wondering.

the-green-hornet-complete-television-series-60-s-6098.jpg

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched the Batman crossover episode with the Green Hornet the other day and love it! I have seen the Batman -vs- Green Hornet many times and it still love it!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
1966ImperialBlackBeauty01.jpg

If this could ever be launched the global Bruce Lee cult following alone would pounce on it.

Something really special could be made of it with the participation of Van Williams, the sole surviving cast member, contributing his invaluable knowledge and recollections of the show's production.

Then there's the Black Beauty which is currently in the ownership of a private collector who had it restored to all its magnificent glory.

I'm sure that it will come about but here's hoping that some "creative" effort is put into it.

Jeff T.

:D

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JeffT. said:
If this could ever be launched the global Bruce Lee cult following alone would pounce on it.

It's already known as "The Bruce Lee Show" in Asia.

I remember watching one YouTuber who had put up every episode of the series from when it was aired on Action cable, but for unexplained reasons, suddenly had to pull them off of his account....right around exactly the same time that YouTubers with Batman episodes were asked to take their licensed episodes off of their accounts in advance of that set being licensed.

Could just be a coincidence, but I'm not sure what or how many of Greenway's rights issues were cleared up in the process.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I believe we will likely see Batman's sister show finally make it to DVD and/ or Blu-ray soon. If not this year, then within the next two years or so. If "Batman"'s legal red tape (which was probably twice as involved as TGH) can finally be broken-through, so can "Green Hornet". It seems just a matter of financial or other incentive for one or all the parties involved. Regardless, the fact that Bruce Lee co-starred in this can only be a MAJOR asset in regards to it's chances of seeing such a release. This year will mark what would have been his 75th(!) birthday, so who knows, maybe this will be enough to prompt a truce (hey, one can dream)...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Ejanss said:
It's already known as "The Bruce Lee Show" in Asia.

I remember watching one YouTuber who had put up every episode of the series from when it was aired on Action cable, but for unexplained reasons, suddenly had to pull them off of his account....right around exactly the same time that YouTubers with Batman episodes were asked to take their licensed episodes off of their accounts in advance of that set being licensed.

Could just be a coincidence, but I'm not sure what or how many of Greenway's rights issues were cleared up in the process.

I'd say it was coincidence.

The issue as stated elsewhere here in the past is the issue is not Dozier's estate, but Green Hornet,inc who just wants too much of a cut of the DVDs. than Fox is willing to give.

..and simply put, "Green Hornet,inc" (which is basically a lawyer representing Trendle's estate's interest) is a rather difficult company to work with - if reports from current and past licencors are anything to go by.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Not sure about that. Dynamite Entertainment that has the rights to produce GH comics seem to have quite a bit of freedom with the character.

They've had the team up Batman limited series and several alternate versions of the character published.

But then again, that's comics, not the tv show.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
rmw650 said:
Still surprised this show hasn't been released onto DVD as of yet and next week's DECADES binge is Route 66
When there is any involvement by Fox, nothing surprises me. It still should be released though.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
DeWilson said:
The only problem with this show is the WORST DAY FOR NIGHT IN ANY 1960'S TV SHOW (Even the "Mission:Impossible" Day for Night wasn't this bad!)

If this show EVER got a DVD/Blu release they need to do something about fixing those digitally.
I really think Dr. Syn has worse day for night shooting, but that was more like a 60's mini-series.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
DeWilson said:
The only problem with this show is the WORST DAY FOR NIGHT IN ANY 1960'S TV SHOW (Even the "Mission:Impossible" Day for Night wasn't this bad!)

If this show EVER got a DVD/Blu release they need to do something about fixing those digitally.

Agreed. I recall watching the series during its original network run, and there were many "night" scenes that were way too dark. Couldn't see a thing.

Some sort of gamma correction would have to be done for a dvd/blu release.

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
I'm so extremely disappointed that The Green Hornet 1966-1967 TV Series still hasn't yet been issued on Region 1 DVD.

I've been waiting for a lot of years for this classic one season show to officially get released on DVD in Region 1 format.

This very long wait for an official Region 1 DVD release is infuriating, aggravating and torturous.

I'll always refuse to buy the bootleg DVD release of this TV Series' because I completely refuse to ever spend any money on TV Series' bootleg DVD's.

There will always be just one Bruce Lee.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
HonkyTonkMan said:
I'm so extremely disappointed that The Green Hornet 1966-1967 TV Series still hasn't yet been issued on Region 1 DVD.

I've been waiting for a lot of years for this classic one season show to officially get released on DVD in Region 1 format.

This very long wait for an official Region 1 DVD release is infuriating, aggravating and torturous.

I'll always refuse to buy the bootleg DVD release of this TV Series' because I completely refuse to ever spend any money on TV Series' bootleg DVD's.

There will always be just one Bruce Lee.

For me, this would be worth a bootleg purchase, since Fox will most likely never release it.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Even though Fox stuff is mostly a dead issue, anything involving superheroes or Brue Lee is gold among collectors so I gotta believe this one will eventually come out at some point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Would there be the same tangle of copyright conflicts that gummed up Batman's release for so long? Or is it that Fox just doesn't think there is a market for it?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I can't believe even those "learned" execs at Fox could believe there isn't a market for a superhero show with Bruce Lee in it. Not even Fox could be that blind.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frank Soyke said:
I can't believe even those "learned" execs at Fox could believe there isn't a market for a superhero show with Bruce Lee in it. Not even Fox could be that blind.

You did see what they did to the Fantastic Four, right?

But anyway, wasn't there supposed to have been a lot of horse trading involved between Fox and WB to get the Batman series released? I don't think the owners of the Green Hornet have anything like "Gotham" to give away.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And here it is 2016 and we're *still* waiting on a release of this series! The ranks of us who would make this a "day one" purchase are growing smaller and Fox, like with all their TV product, just doesn't seem to care that they're losing money by keeping this one in the vaults.

Does anyone know the true details of why this has not yet seen a release?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just saw a few of the episodes air on both H&I and DECADES Networks just yesterday but yes, very puzzling why this one season series hasn't been released, despite the fact Batman already has.
Well, if whatever rights issues that may exist for THE GREEN HORNET series is anything like the myriad that long plagued the BATMAN '66 TV series, also taking into consideration the decided lesser demand for the former, might somewhat account for its present non release status. :P

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Well, if whatever rights issues that may exist for THE GREEN HORNET series is anything like the myriad that long plagued the BATMAN '66 TV series, also taking into consideration the decided lesser demand for the former, might somewhat account for its present non release status. :P

If the Seth Rogen movie had done better at the box office, maybe there'd have been enough interest to get whatever parties are involved to work out any issues there might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks