What's new

Great Tweak To Improve Music Listening (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
This tweak requires two things:
A Garbage Bag
A Garbage Can
Money
1. Gather all your cd's up.
2.Insert them into a garbage bag.
3. Put the garbage bag into the garbage can.
4.Tie a tight knot on the garbage bag.
5. Get Some Shoes On...
6.Take out the trash.
7. Whip out the money.
8. Go to a record store.
9. Go the vinyl section
10. BUY SOME LP'S!!!!!!!!
smiley_rotflmao.gif

(I'm Crazy)

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Actually, take the CD's to a used CD/Vinyl store, get a cash credit for them, and then buy used vinyl!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I love my vinyl, but it doesn't work too well in the car. :eek: (and Tape just won't do!!) Hafta put them on CD...
Lot's of stuff on vinyl not available on CD, but a some stuff on CD not available on vinyl...:frowning:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The last record I bought (Busta Rhymes) about 2 months ago sounded HORRIBLE.
However, I like most of my vinyl collection. ;)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
You can bet that all recent recordings put on vinyl are digitally mastered, in fact a lot of the re-issues are digitally remastered, hence not true analog. Listening to the majority of old 60's thru 70's vinyl recordings I own bring much satisfaction. I have many CD's of these same recordings that pale in comparison, mushy bass, compressed induced glare making them unlistenable(IMO).
I have virtually the same amount of money in both my digital and analog front ends and prefer vinyl, just my preference obviously. Currently I listen to 75% vinyl/25% CD.
I really do enjoy CD's but if I had to get rid of either, it would be CD's. I'd be willing to listen to cassettes in my car if it came right down to it.
BTW, I'm curious as to what you vinyl guys spin on. Here's my gear. :)
ANALOG
Rega P3 with Koetsu black cart.
EAR 864 preamp(tube phono & line-stage)
DIGITAL
Toshiba SD-9200(Transport)
Camelot filter(jitter)
Classe SSP-25 pre/pro
I use the DAC's in the Classe exclusively, very nice.
I run everything through Aragon amps(SS)and sound eminates from Nautilus 804's with a Rel Storm III sub(High pass)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I know. The last one I bought was an Wu-Tang (Enter The WU), sounded like the recording was done in a windtunnel.Sigh.... these days, the record companies, look at it like this: "It's vinyl, we don't have to monitor it, just make it a copy of the cd, make sure it sounds like crap too, since nobody likes vinyl" :angry:
Hah, I vaguely recall in the old prototype of the Edsel(?) or something like that had a portable lp player. Broke down so much, it never went into construction. (I think I might be wrong)

KrisM

Second Unit
I remember reading a story about one of the members of Led Zeppelin having a turntable in his car. I think it was John Bonham. I could just see him saying to his wife "sorry honey, you have to sit in the back seat, the recod player sits up front".

KrisM

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I own about 6000 LP's, mostly classical and jazz recordings, and because my home theater pre/pro lacked a phono input I hadn't heard any of them on my "big" system for a couple years.

Several weeks ago, I purchased a relatively inexpensive phono stage -- the Rotel -- and the first time I played a record, tears came to my eyes.

The delicacy, purity and resolution of the sound was remarkable. I realized why I don't listen to as much music anymore. CD's just "throw away" too much of the music.

Vinyl does not have the whack and punch of CD, it's true. But there is a fullness and texture to the sound that regular CD's can't touch. DVD-A and SACD will certainly recover some of that in the future; but those who have grown up on CD's should hear a good quality LP (analog from recording to groove) played on a high quality system. I think that critical listeners will be stunned by the sound.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My modest LP gear is a Denon DP7F turntable (about $300 in 1994) with a brand new Audio Technica cartrige (can't remember the model number - list is about $85). Run through the phono preamp on my Harman Kardon HK3270 stereo receiver. Sounds good.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Bob_L, up until a year ago I struggled to enjoy 2-channel music at all, even though I have a decent digital system.
I decided to give vinyl a try again and have been upgrading components along the way. I now have about the same amount of money spent on both my analog and digital playback portions and I can say that I notice the improvement a lot more in analog than I did through digital upgrades of similar dollar amounts.
I'm not trying to start a vinyl/digital debate here but
I must say that I am amazed sometimes when I listen to my 30 year old collection. My collection has grown substantially over the past year by visiting Goodwill stores,garage sales,record shops, and online dealers. If you have the time, you can really find some amazing albums at these places for as little as $1. Just recently I found a near mint copy of "Traffic, shootout at the Fantasy Factory" that just knocks me out everytime I listen to it.
There are also many artists still recording on vinyl and "Classic" re-issues that sound fantastic also.
I admit that I do spend a few minutes cleaning my records but this just adds to the experience, IMO, and when you hear the results it is all well worth it. There are people who bash vinyl and have never even experienced the pleasure it has to offer. If you are ever near an audio outlet that has decent playback system, give vinyl a listen, then make a statement. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
May I suggest...

#11 Go to rich audiophile friend's house and play your/his records.

#12 Bathe in the realization you did not spend $5,000 last year on:

1. record cleaning products and machines

2. expensive Japanese catridges (Koetsu anyone?) that can break with one false move of the hand

3. geomtery enhancing products

4. more cables to plug in

5. record clamps

6. expensive phono preamps

7. weird, ugly, expensive structural tweaks to make platter stable

8. LP player isolation products

9. platter speed control devices

10. expensive tone arm upgrades

and the list goes on....

Now I actually like LP sound a lot but there are a lot of extra items that are needed for vinyl done right.

Lee

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
John, sure there are going to be occasional pops,clicks during playback if your system and/or media is not up to snuff but all things being equal, (proper TT setup and good vinyl) vinyl will sound very nice. A lot of my 30 year old records do have the occasional pop or click but they do not retract from the satisfaction I get from listening to the overall presentation of the music. Try listening to a CD of the same material from that era and there is no comparison(in most cases), vinyl sounds better. Many of todays artists still release music on vinyl, McCartney, Sarah McLaughlin, Creed, not to mention the excellent vinyl compilation Pink Floyd "Echoes" which comes in a beautiful box set.
Lee, I guess I made a mistake owning a Koetsu cart., at least as far as you're concerned.:) BTW, if you do spend $1,500 on a Koetsu cart. and break the stylus off it, you are only out $300 to re-tip. I am a music lover and am willing to put up with every item on your list if it improves the listening experience, YMMV.:):)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Frank S,
My hat's off to you! I just wanted to highlight the extra work involved with LP and the potential for extra neurosis ;)
Actually, I admire your pursuit of audio perfection. And I am just a bit jealous of that Koetsu cartridge.
If this provides better sound, and I can see how it would, then have at it!
You are a true audiophile.
Now, SACD also sounds great and is just a bit easier to play.
Lee

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the kind comment Lee. SACD has'nt enough software for me to take the plunge yet.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Frank,

You are right. Not enough software. My biggest beef.

Plus there are some real gems on vinyl like the new Classic Records releases of Led Zeppelin which may yet get me into purchasing a turntable.

Have you tried any Classic Records releases?

Lee

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Lee, I have tried a few and really enjoy them, debating on the Led Zep Box set at this time. Miles Davis/Kind of Blue and Basie swings/Tony sings are great! Those 2 alone make owning a TT worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks