What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Got questions for Mr George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive Collection? Ask em here! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Would also like to see---THE BUTCHER BOY----SURVING PICASSO---UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE---SHOOT THE MOON---THE SHELTERING SKY.

To the MGM titles that all emerged simultaneously on video (and CED disc) back in '82, which included SHOOT THE MOON and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (named in the posts 25 & 26), I would add another request: WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY? with Richard Dreyfus.

xochipilli

Auditioning
Real Name
Duarte
Hopefully it's not frowned upon if I ask another question, but I'd like to know if Mr. Feltenstein is still working on bringing back official Facebook announcements(with technical specs) as well as clips and trailers of new releases on YouTube. If I can only have one post answered I'd rather it were my first one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mr. Feltenstein isn't going to name specific titles until he's ready to announce them. Frankly, we'll be lucky if we get any hints about what's in the pipeline.

During a few of his podcasts, Mr. F. did indeed hint at numerous films when he was answering questions. Although he couldn't give any release dates, he would at least often tell the writers/listeners that the WAC was interested in a certain title or was seeking better elements, etc. That was good enough for most of us...just the confirmation that he and WAC were interested in putting it out.

Oh, and...please consider the 1949 Technicolor Fairbanks adventure, SINBAD THE SAILOR!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
During a few of his podcasts, Mr. F. did indeed hint at numerous films when he was answering questions. Although he couldn't give any release dates, he would at least often tell the writers/listeners that the WAC was interested in a certain title or was seeking better elements, etc. That was good enough for most of us...just the confirmation that he and WAC were interested in putting it out.

Oh, and...please consider the 1949 Technicolor Fairbanks adventure, SINBAD THE SAILOR!
Besides the other question about Northwest Passage 1940, any hopes of the Monogram Joe Palooka's and how many Eastside Kids films does WB own

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

He mentioned earlier Three Little Words OCN's three strip Technicolor was on the lot but not yet worked on that was last year he said that I think.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My question is this (though I suspect I know the answer):

Does Warners ever intend to continue the MOD DVD program? I appreciated the release of hundreds of titles of obscure and little known films that would never have seen the light of day otherwise. Many of them are in less than pristine conditions but not everything needs to be in HD to be enjoyed. It was through the WA MOD program that I discovered Kay Francis and have 14 of her films via the Warners MOD DVD program.

Nah... everything could/should certainly be better on BD instead DVD even w/out any extra cleanup work, etc. The encoding/compression, including color space and resolution, will be better on BD even if the image is essentially limited to 480p rez quality.

And the diff should be apparent enough on most people's setups IMHO.

Maybe WAC/WHV can just put out an alternative line of BDs for all such cases to make clear what customers can reasonably expect? Nothing like WAC's (or even the better WHV titles') normal output for BDs of course.

Maybe we can ask Mr. Feltenstein about that potential as well?

Personally, I have zero interest in buying anymore DVDs at all, especially since I can probably just wait for (or already get/have) the iTunes HD digital at eventual $5 sale price in many cases instead -- if somethings are gonna eat up any of my severely limited, remaining shelf/storage space, they aren't going to be more DVDs (w/ all their substantial quality limitations)...

_Man_

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nah... everything could/should certainly be better on BD instead DVD even w/out any extra cleanup work, etc.
Or the high resolution will only accent the film's flaws (softness, scratches, faded color, lack of contrast etc.). When something is released on blu ray, consumers expect perfection. As evidenced right here on the HTF, blu rays are scrutinized in detail and even the smallest flaws are complained about.

I'm not talking about popular and requested classics like Captain Blood, High Society or Scaramouche. Those titles will inevitably see a release on blu ray. I'm talking about titles like The Flame Within (1935) with Louis Hayward and Maureen O'Sullivan, The Woman I Love (1937) with Paul Muni and Miriam Hopkins, First Lady (1937) with Kay Francis, Lady Luck (1946) with Robert Young and Barbara Hale, A Letter For Evie (1946) with Marsha Hunt and John Carroll, About Face (1952) with Gordon Macrae and Phyllis Kirk, Dangerous Mission (1954) with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie, Gaby (1956) with Leslie Caron and John Kerr, From The Earth To The Moon (1958) with Joseph Cotten and George Sanders to name but a handful of films which have a snowball's chance in hell to get a blu ray release. The Warner Archives MOD DVD program was designed for movies like those.

I understand your disinterest in the DVD format but for many of us, we'll take wanted titles anyway we can.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The original point of the Warner MOD DVD-R program was to release existing standard definition masters that weren’t up to modern day standards for films that didn’t have the sales potential to justify the expense of creating newer transfers for wider retail distribution.

So while I respect and don’t disagree with what Man is saying about how a theoretical Blu-ray is better than a theoretical DVD even for films in poorer shape, that’s not really what the MOD DVD-R program was intended for. The overwhelming majority of the masters used for those DVD-R releases were ancient telecines created for television exhibition in the 1980s. That line of products were wonderful for allowing fans get copies of titles that otherwise would have had no viable path towards release.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The original point of the Warner MOD DVD-R program was to release existing standard definition masters that weren’t up to modern day standards for films that didn’t have the sales potential to justify the expense of creating newer transfers for wider retail distribution.

So while I respect and don’t disagree with what Man is saying about how a theoretical Blu-ray is better than a theoretical DVD even for films in poorer shape, that’s not really what the MOD DVD-R program was intended for. The overwhelming majority of the masters used for those DVD-R releases were ancient telecines created for television exhibition in the 1980s. That line of products were wonderful for allowing fans get copies of titles that otherwise would have had no viable path towards release.

Sure, that is/was the original point of the MOD program, and if I understand correctly, how WAC actually began before it started releasing BDs as well.

But that was then (before the huge decline in the disc market), this is now. In today's market, it might make more sense to reconsider and reorg that business/model accordingly... and possibly switch gears and streamline w/ BD releases (since they still plan to release BDs anyway). Afterall, it sounds like they've already more or less severely slowed down or even stopped doing (new?) MOD DVDs (while also trying/planning to revive their BD output).

Not saying that's definitely best or anything, but just floating the idea/question and whether that's more realistic/best going forward...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sure, that is/was the original point of the MOD program, and if I understand correctly, how WAC actually began before it started releasing BDs as well.

But that was then (before the huge decline in the disc market), this is now. In today's market, it might make more sense to reconsider and reorg that business/model accordingly... and possibly switch gears and streamline w/ BD releases (since they still plan to release BDs anyway). Afterall, it sounds like they've already more or less severely slowed down or even stopped doing (new?) MOD DVDs (while also trying/planning to revive their BD output).

Not saying that's definitely best or anything, but just floating the idea/question and whether that's more realistic/best going forward...

_Man_
There is nothing wrong with asking Mr. Feltenstein, the question about the DVD MOD program? Arguing about the viability of a such program isn't up for debate in this particular thread.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here is what he commented on my post "During the Turner ownership we made new elements of NORTHWEST PASSAGE from the original 3-strip negatives. As I remember, the answer print was excellent, and part of our arrangement with Eastman House was to supply them with a print. That must be what is referred to in this article."
Next up, what lab did the recombine? It’s all meaningless.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Next up, what lab did the recombine? It’s all meaningless.
Maybe Mr May will eleborate! Being Ill I could not go to Lincoln Center for the showing of the Eastman Print during the King Vidor tribute. Keeping my fingers crossed Mr. F is asked about the film - glad another person asked about the film in this thread. it really was a big MGM release in 1940.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is nothing wrong with asking Mr. Feltenstein, the question about the DVD MOD program? Arguing about the viability of a such program isn't up for debate in this particular thread.

Are we not allowed to discuss... and then propose additional, possibly worthwhile, related questions... which was what I was trying to do?

Sorry if it came across only as argument...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are we not allowed to discuss... and then propose additional, possibly worthwhile, related questions... which was what I was trying to do?

Sorry if it came across only as argument...

_Man_
I think Sam needs questions for his interview, not an in-depth discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks