What's new

Got a hedgehog? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Any tips for hedgehog ownership or reasons not to? I had a roommate who sold them, but I've recently become curious about owning one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by evertec

just be sure to name him sonic ;)
Too unoriginal.
I would love to have one but they are illegal in Pa for some reason.

hedgehogcentral.com

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I used to own one. You know how you sometimes see people walking about with them, with the little hedgehog faces poking out of their arms looking all cute and adorable?

That wasn't mine.

Mine was reallly mean. If you got close to him, he'd ball up, and buck his head at you. They have extra long fighting spikes on their head, and he'd make a grinding, clucky, hissing sound while trying to get you with the head spikes. That said, I had him for 2 years, constantly taking him out, holding him not unlike a falconer with my heavy leather work gloves hoping to get him used to me and the ex so he would be cute and funny.

It just never happened. Finally the ex had enough and we donated him to a daycare. Teach those kids some responsibility! We replaced the hedgehog with a pair of ducklings. that's another story, other then to say that the TV show FRIENDS is a liar liar pants on fire and ducks DON'T make good pets in an apartment building.

Back to the hedgehog, I have no advice other then pick one that doesn't ball up and try to stab you when you hold it. Pick one that lets you hold and pet it with bare hands. Other then that, they're pretty great. They don't make much noise when you leave them alone, the food is cheap, and they aren't poo factories so cleaning the cage and wood chips isn't like cleaning a ducks pen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Acquaintances of mine have one. They seem to really like it.

Last week I was talking to a friend of theirs. He says that hedgehogs are not social animals, not really pettable, and spend much of their time hidden in their "cave" (like under a rock or other safe place in their habitat).

My impression is that these are wild animals, not domesticated, and have much the same attraction as hamsters or guinea pigs. Cute, funny / quirky animals that are pretty safe. But not social, do not bond with owners, the way domesticated pets do (such as dogs or cats).

But I'm speaking from second hand knowledge and inference; no personal experience.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I guess being covered with sharp objects would tend to put a damper on one's social life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks