What's new

Good news re:Spiderman Ultimate showdown dvd... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I found this review from a poster at www.toonzone.net He eased my fears of a big cut & paste job and that the episodes are still put as episodes. Here is the review:
"Morbid curiosity - that was the sole reason I considered picking up this DVD especially after reading that the Mouse House had did a cut and paste job to what is easily one of my favorite cartoons of all time. When I found it released early at my local Wal-Mart for $14.44 I couldn't pass it up - much like we slow down when there is an accident I had to purchase this disk.
Let me say one thing - I was wrong.
That might be the only time I ever admit to it but imagine my surprise when I opened up the DVD and found a chapter listing stating which episodes were on the disk. The chapter sheet features the cover art for the front and back of the DVD and the disk is just a picture of the Spider-Man face reflecting back the Green Goblin. When I put the disk in I found something else to be amazing - no forced trailers, something Buena Vista home video is notorious for. The menu opens with a bunch of screen caps of villains flashing onto the screen and eventually leads into the city with a still Spidey in mid crawl on the side of a building.
Starting the movie will lead you to the long opening theme for the Spidey toon and only has one change - an added "The Ultimate Villain Showdown" label under the Spidey logo. By now you probably want to know what is on the disk - the episodes go in order - "Make a Wish", "Attack of the Octto Bot", "Enter the Green Goblin", and "Rocket Racer". This is also known as Chapter 2,3,4 and 5 in the Sins of the Fathers story arc. The transfer was very well done but a little slow at times - altho this is more than likely the animation and not the transfer. The episodes still contain the original title cards and at the end of the first three episodes flow directly into the next episode, avoiding the end credits until the end of the movie.
The special features include the 1967 Origin of Spider-Man toon with an intro by Stan "The Man" Lee. There is also a Stan's Soapbox feature which is about 20 mins long and features Stan talking about the creation of Spidey and some other details of the Marvel U. As a fan boy I found this feature very enjoyable and even got a couple of chuckles out of Stan. There is also another feature that allows you to watch commentary by Stan before each episode - once again, great stuff. Another feature is a Villains Gallery that allows you to select either Venom, Doc Ock, the Hobgoblin or the Green Goblin and get a complete bio of the character. Each villain has at least two clips that show some aspect of the character as well as Stan's thoughts about the character. The final feature was a sneak peek section - featuring Spy Kids 2, Snow Dogs, Digimon and a couple others that I can't remember right at the moment.
Conclusion - Overall I think the disk is really worth the pick up and was very happy that Disney hadn't pasted together a new movie and followed a story arc from the series. While the DVD had a lot of features I wish there had been an easter egg with Sins of the Fathers Chapter 1 but overall this DVD comes with a lot more extra features than the X-Men DVD's that were released by Universal. Hopefully sales will be good on this disk and we'll see Disney release season sets. An added note to Disney - make Origin of the Silver Surfer your next attempt.
-Joe!"
I had preordered it because if it doesn't sell. We will never see more episodes. But, it is the double edge sword. If you buy a cut & past episodes. That is how Disney will think we want them. Luckily, they seem to be still in episode form.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 1967 one...is that one of those near-slideshow jobs that used pasted art from actual comics? I've always wanted to see those just because they sound so bad.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Never mind my earlier comment...I found out that only the Captain America, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk predecessor cartoons were animated in the terrible cutout style. For some reason I had thought that Spider-Man started out that way, then was switched to full animation.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta love Wal Mart (Home of the broken street date)I picked up mine today. My son is gonna freak out!!!:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If the '67 Spider-Man was the one from whence came the famous theme song, I remember it being done in watercolors.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Please!!
This IS or IS NOT the "one from whence came the famous theme song".
Just when I think that it is, VENOM is mentioned....
c

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't get all bent out of shape, Chris. I was responding to Michael's question about the '67 Spider-Man. I was hoping someone could confirm if it had watercolor backgrounds like I picture.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Believe me Greg, I'm not bent out of shape and I'm sorry if my post seems to convey that. I've just been waiting so long to see some of those old Spiderman cartoons...
None of the information I've read regarding this release has made it clear as to which series this disc represented. Maybe that's an intentional move by Disney.
Maybe I should have added a few question marks to my post???? ;)
Thanks!!
C

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Starting the movie will lead you to the long opening theme for the Spidey toon and only has one change - an added "The Ultimate Villain Showdown" label under the Spidey logo. By now you probably want to know what is on the disk - the episodes go in order - "Make a Wish", "Attack of the Octto Bot", "Enter the Green Goblin", and "Rocket Racer". This is also known as Chapter 2,3,4 and 5 in the Sins of the Fathers story arc. The transfer was very well done but a little slow at times - altho this is more than likely the animation and not the transfer. The episodes still contain the original title cards and at the end of the first three episodes flow directly into the next episode, avoiding the end credits until the end of the movie.
The special features include the 1967 Origin of Spider-Man toon with an intro by Stan "The Man" Lee.
as it has been stated by several in this thread the sins of the father is from the 1990 eps.
and for the 1967 series it's in the special features ..also already posted in this thread. maybe you don't trust us?? :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I loved the Marvel SuperHeroes Cookie Cutter Cartoons I remember watching them As a kid and I'd buy a disk of them.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Okay, I picked this up yesterday and overall was pleased. Really, the Stan Lee interviews are the highlight of the disc. But I have a couple of questions:
1. What happens in Sins of the Father Chapter I? If it didn't say "Chapter II" at the beginning of the first episode, I wouldn't know any better. It seems to be a good place to start-- leading into the origin story.
2. Why is this called "The Ultimate Villian Showdown"? I was expecting a bunch of the famous villians to team up and take on Spider-Man. Instead we get two episodes with Doctor Octopus, one unrelated episode with the Green Goblin, and a fourth episode with really no famous villian at all. I think the title of the DVD is misleading. There is that (enjoyable) special feature with background on most of the Spider-Man villians, but since even the animated menus show Venom, Carnage, Electro, etc. I thought for sure they'd be in the "feature". Oh, well.
I'm really only familiar with "old-school" Spider-Man from when I was a kid in the 70's. I didn't even know that the Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin were different characters. (It was fun to hear Stan Lee admit that he doesn't really know anything about the Hobgoblin himself. At least, I'm in good company. :))
This was obviously released just to cash in on the current Spider-Man hype. Although I'm not sorry I bit on it, I don't think I'll be buying "The Ultimate Villian Showdown II" if that ever is released.
-Kelly

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Just to add to Michael's comments:

60s Spider-Man was a stand alone series. There was also one later (80s I believe) that then became Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (with Ice Man and Firestar). Then there was the Fox series of the 90s.

Hanna-Barbara did a Fantastic Four based on the Lee Kirby comics but highly altered. Filmation (I believe) did a later FF series (70s?) with input for Lee and Kirby, but the Human torch was replaced by Herbie the Robot because the Torch rights were tied up. Another company did an FF series recently. 2nd season looked very different and might have been a different animation house. This was combined wit an Iron Man show. Same thing happened 2nd and last season.

I believe the same people did the Hulk series with Ferigno doing the voice.

I remember a short lived Spider-Woman series (the one with long black hair and a red and yellow costume).

Another company did "Marvel Superheroes" which featured shorts of:

Hulk

Submariner

Iron Man

Thor

Captain America

These had most of the artwork directly lifted from the original comics. They also tended to be very faithful to the stories. But the animation level left allot to desire. The theme songs were great.

Peter

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i know this dvd isn't what we really wanted but if we don't buy it they may think we don't want more. so if we buy it they will think we want more.
so the catch is if no one buys it because it';s not a season set or even a full story(missing pt 1) then we never get any more.
but if we do buy it they may think we like it this way and just put out more ep compilations. :frowning:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is another positive review from Guido Henkel from www.dvdreview.com
Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villain Showdown (2002)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
79 mins. · Not Rated · Fullframe
Audio: E - DD 2.0 / ESP - DD 2.0
Subtitles: None
Extras: Bonus Episode, Rogue’s Dossier, Stan Lee’s Soapbox,
As Sam Raimi’s new live-action spectacle ’Spider-Man’ is opening in theaters nationwide, everyone is trying to cache in on the hype generated by this hotly anticipated movie. One of the releases in the wake is ’Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villain Showdown,’ based on the animated TV series.
The DVD contains four episodes featuring a cool villain line-up. You can watch these episodes one after another or each with an introduction by creator Stan Lee.
The DVD presents the episodes in a fullscreen aspect ratio in a transfer that is free of defects or blemishes. Colors are bold and stable and the image does contain only a minute amount of grain and noise. Details are nicely rendered and with its good black level, the outlines and edges are well-defined, creating a sharp image without appearing over-enhanced. The image is also free of edge-enhancement and its accompanying artifacts and the compression has been done very well. The result is an image that is bold and very stable, free of compression artifacts.
The DVD comes with a 2.0 Dolby digital audio track that is well produced and has a good frequency response throughout. The dynamic range is also good and allows for some action-packed animated superhero moments. Combined with the music, it gives the presentation a nice nostalgic flair.
As a bonus the 1967 episode ’The Origins of Spider-Man’ is also included on this disc. It is introduced by Stan Lee, who offers some great insight. Time hasn’t treated this episode so well, and t shows signs of age, ranging from the really narrow, tinny frequency response to the grain in the picture and its overall softness with muted colors. Nonetheless, this is a cool addition to the release that fans will love.
’Stan Lee’s Soapbox’ is an interview featurette in which comic legend and Spider-Man creator Stan Lee talks about the origins of his comic characters. Lee is an interesting storyteller and his explanations are always upbeat and fun to listen to. Since we don’t get the chance too often to hear what the creators of comic books think and what drives them, this is featurette is welcome addition to the DVD that adds a lot of depth and value to it.
’Rogues’ Dossiers’ is a fun little feature that offers information of all of Spider-Man’s nemeses. It is prepared almost like a game coupled with biographies and dramatic voice-overs, and turns out to be a lot of entertaining fun.
It shows that some care has been taken to prepare this DVD for release and that someone with a superhero mindset approached the subject. This is a fun release with cool extras and a solid presentation. Fans couldn’t ask for more!
Guido Henkel
I guess this will keep me happy until next week as Stan Lee's mutants, monsters and marvels comes out
Oscar Merkx

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's been mentioned that the episodes included on this disc start at "Sins of the Fathers" chapter 2, and skips chapter 1.
But what noone else is mentioning is that it also ends at SotF chapter 5 ("The Rocket Racer"), and fails to present the rest of the SotF epsiodes.
SotF was a 14-parter!! :eek:
So in reality we get on this disc one "old school" epsiode as a bonus, plus 4 parts of a 14-parts, leaving us 71½ % shy of the complete story!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks