What's new

Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special 4-Disc Edition (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The 1954 re-release WAS made from the original Technicolor negatives. The idea was to present GWTW as a widescreen movie (GWTW-Greater with the Wide Screen) by projecting it through a 1.66:1 mask with all of the soft matting at the bottom of the frame. The prevailing wisdom was that there was more negligible space at the frame bottom than there was extra headroom.

ONLY those shots which would appreciably "suffer" from the bottom masking (ie; Scarlett at the bottom of the hill at Tara, the wounded soldiers at the cowshed, etc.) were reformatted for the new release. The sections in question were re-photographed onto Anscocolor single strip negative and cropped accordingly (all information taken from the top of the frame, a mixture of top and bottom, etc.) They were then printed with a hard 1.66:1 matte on the bottom of the frame (the black bar would never show through the projection masks).

These new sections were actually CUT INTO the original negatives when the 1954 printing masters were made and the original snips were either discarded or neglected, but are not known to have survived.

The major difference between the 1939 and 1954 prints are not the negatives, but the color timing and density. Technicolor's dye transfer system had incredible latitude in its printing process, and conventional wisdom held that 1939 audiences, unused to color motion pictures, would have "tired eyes" at the end of nearly four hours of Technicolor at its most vivid, so the hues were purposely muted.

By 1954, audiences were more used to vivid color; hence the reason for the re-timing. While its TRUE that Selznick himself liked the richer color palette of the 1954 re-release, he was NOT at ALL happy about the Anscocolor sections cut into the Technicolor original. He thought that the difference in quality was very noticeable and distracting in those sections.

So, that's why only a few shots were re-composed for the new release and why the original snips may never surface.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
So, what poster do you all hope makes the cover art for the new DVD? While none of them really jump out at me, I kinda like number two. The first one was used for the initial DVD, so I highly doubt they would use it again. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the second last, or created their own new, cover art all together since this is obviously a major release and they want to attract younger customers which may night happen with the original one sheets.

Andy

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

easily the most iconic image associated with this film.

even Star Wars riffed on it.
also it wasn't used for the first release andit would differentiate the two well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The "new screen splendor" is a reference to the anything but splendid 70mm tilt-and-scan 1967 reissue, which, it being in Metrocolor 16 years before my birth (the prints would probably have been beet red or pink by 1972), I, mercifully, never saw.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I bought the French PAL edition and didn't wait for the all-singing and dancing edition just announced. Half the contents of the new edition are already present on the French PAL release. The 2hrs doc, the Clark Gable Doc, Lowery restoration, lavish packaging. The new additions are the Audio commentary, the Vivian Leigh doc (old) and the brand new Oliva de Havilland doc.

On balance the French edition is special enough fo me. The new release is a great package and if I only had the bare bones NTSC release then I would upgrade in a shot.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

FYI, the Lowery work done on the PAL version represents an older transfer done just when that company was starting. All PAL GWTW DVDs have that old (1999/2000)master. I have that French DVD, and it is an improvement over the NTSC bare bones release, but it's not that much of an improvement

The new set features a brand-new transfer that has been done using Warner Bros.' recent "Ultra-Resolution" process, which I would say will likely be a revelatory improvement (based on the breathtaking quality of ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN...all done using WB's exclusive process).

Also, I expect there will be even more extras on the upcoming release than what we've heard about thus far. We've only seen press articles, but not the full Warner press release.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I agree with you totally Roger. Even if the French edition had all of the extras and the new restoration, you would still have to contend with with 4% PAL speed-up. While this doesn't bother some people, a movie the length of Gone With the Wind winds up a full ten minutes short.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Precisely...and the existing French DVD, while "nice", can't compare in terms of color, sharpness, and image depth of field to the recent WB Ultra Resolution transfers like ROBIN HOOD.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't quite get this PAL speed-up concept. Why is it sped up and doesn't it cause the action to appear faster and affect how the audio sounds?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Drew,

PAL video uses 25 frames per second while NTSC uses 24, thus the 4% speed-up when converting PAL video to NTSC.

You can avoid this however by using a display that accepts a PAL source without converting it to NTSC. Many digital projectors for instance have that option. Of course you will also have to be sure that your player doesn't convert the PAL video to NTSC.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I don't believe this is correct. PAL speed-up occurs when the film is initially transferred to PAL-video, not in the conversion to NTSC. The film transfer is done at 25 frames per second instead of the normal 24fps theatrical frame rate. Virtually all films transferred to PAL are sped-up. If you watch a film in England on broadcast TV, it's sped-up.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, had a brainfart - Peter is correct.

I was thinking of the opposite, where an original PAL source gets converted to NTSC.

I will wear the offical HTF dunce cap for the rest of the day.

:b

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I've had both the R1 version and the R2 (Lowry) version, and while the R2 is indeed better image wise, I have no doubt that the upcoming set will be way ahead that old release. Also, the R2 version doesn't have the original mono soundtrack. :thumbsdown:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
In terms of PAL Speed-up, some people are willing to accept the faster frame rate for the greater lines of resolution, and the (usually) superior picture that PAL provides. You don't REALLY notice the speed change that much because 4% is rather slight as far as percentages go, but that's a matter of opinion. Syndicated American tv series are routinely "time compressed" at a much faster rate to fit additional adverstising time.

Both Warner's recent Charlie Chaplin dvds and Image's recent Phantom of the Opera dvd were British restorations converted from PAL masters. They were THEN converted back to NTSC which is a disappointment because that means we we not only got the speed-up, we DIDN'T get the higher resolution that's usually associated with it and DID get some PAL to NTSC ghosting and artifacts.

I bring this up because I didn't really notice much difference in The Great Dictator in terms of faster action, but (and maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, I don't know) Paulette Goddard's voice seems a higher pitch than I remember and at one point seemed downright Minnie Mouse-ish to me. Other than that, a casual viewer MIGHT not even be aware that a speed-up existed at all if not told about it ahead of time.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Image isn't nearly affected by a 4% speed-up as is audio, which is why the majority of complaints regarding speed-up have to do with the audio on these DVDs.

NTSC DVD only has about 10% fewer lines of resolution than PAL and on my projector which can display PAL with it's unscaled native resolution the difference between that and unscaled NTSC DVD isn't distinguishable. The difference between PAL and standard NTSC broadcast video is quite significant, but not DVD.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Thanks Nils, another long cherished "myth balloon" busted! Next you'll tell me that Ricky didn't always love Lucy! :D

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

I agree. When they say "behind the scenes footage" they may be refferring to all the ottakes or extra material we were discussing earlier.
And for the cover art, my favourite is the 3th one, with Scarlett walking through the streets of Atlanta at war.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Re: PAL video uses 25 frames per second while NTSC uses 24, thus the 4% speed-up when converting PAL video to NTSC.

That's not strictly speaking correct - NTSC is actually 30 frames a second, but this is then corrected electronically to bring it back to 24 using a system known as 3:2 pull-down which does also have its own drawbacks. This is due to the fact that in the UK electricity is 50 cycles (HZ) and PAL provides 625 lines of resolution while the US is 60 cycles with about one hundred fewer lines of resolution. There are a gazillion websites that go in to this.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'll bet money that in the "behind the scenes footage" we'll see the home movies that Gertrude Hartley, Vivien Leigh's mother, took of her daughter working. We've already seen the clip she took of the first version of the Tarleton Boys scene with Vivien in a green dress as opposed to white. I don't know if that's all there is or if more Kodachrome exists. Would be interesting.

I really don't hold out much hope of seeing outtakes.

I'd love to see some of these but have to think that, if the Selznick estate had them, we would have seen then by now. When he sold his interest in the film to MGM, he only sold them the physical aspects of the finished picture and retained all the original tracks and unused footage. In fact, MGM had to ask for his cooperation when they wanted to remaster the soundtrack for Perspecta "stereo" in 1954. We've seen some of the makeup and Technicolor tests, as well as the screen tests over the years so...I tend to think that these outtakes would have surfaced if they existed. Selznick didn't have the kind of space that Warner or Metro had to "misplace" things for years and years.

By the way, according to the late (and much missed) Ronald Haver's excellent book DAVID O. SELZNICK'S HOLLYWOOD, the scenes removed after the preview were the following:

-The O'Hara family travelling to the Wilkes Barbecue
-Scarlett's wedding night with Charles Hamilton, which she makes him spend in a chair
-Shortening of the evacuation of Atlanta and the hospital scenes
-Ashley's father dying in Scarlett's arms as she tells him of the birth of his grandchild
-Belle Watling nursing wounded soldiers
-Scarlett's sisters talking about life after the war
-Belle Watling and her "girls" testifying at the inquest into Frank Kennedy's death
-Scarlett and Bonnie having a conversation the morning following the "Rhett sweeping Scarlett up the stairs" scene

I don't think, but correct me if anybody knows for sure, that the alternate ending that was referenced earlier ever even made it into the preview version. I know that Selznick had a few different concepts brewing for the ending before he was satisfied.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Here is the WB press release:
----------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

The Greatest Motion Picture of All Time is

Now the DVD Event of the Year!

Gone With The Wind

Four Disc Collector’s Edition

November 9 from Warner Home Video

Digitally Restored in Dazzling "Ultra Resolution," New DVD Release Features More Than Five Hours of Extra Features and a Full-Color Reproduction of the Original Souvenir Program

Highlights of Special Features are

"Melanie Remembers …," Olivia de Havilland’s personal recollections produced exclusively for the new DVD set, and the DVD debut of "The Making of a Legend," acclaimed documentary with revealing behind-the-scenes material and rare screen tests

Burbank, Calif. August 3, 2004 – It’s the most celebrated motion picture of all time, winner of 10 Academy Awards® including Best Picture, holds the record for the biggest worldwide box office gross in movie history and has sold more than 8.5 million units for Warner Home Video (WHV). Now, on November 9, Warner Home Video (WHV) introduces the Gone with the Wind Four Disc Collector’s Edition, stunningly restored on DVD with Warner’s patent-pending "Ultra-Resolution" technology, complete with two discs of outstanding features including rare screen and costume tests in "The Making of a Legend" documentary, star profiles and an exclusive new in-depth documentary with star Olivia de Havilland. With a total of four discs, the special set will be available for only $39.92 SRP.

Each Gone with the Wind Four Disc Collector’s Edition DVD will include a stunning full-color reproduction of the original 22-page souvenir booklet that was sold during premiere road-show engagements from 1939 through 1941.

The movie features a remastered soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1 and extensive bonus content, all new to DVD and featured on two of the four discs. Highlights of the bonus material include the all-new 45-minute documentary, Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone with the Wind and the critically-acclaimed 1989 documentary The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind, produced by L. Jeffrey and Daniel Mayer Selznick, the sons of GWTW’s legendary producer. In addition, 1939 Atlanta Premiere footage as well as footage from the 1961 Civil War Centennial re-premiere in Atlanta with Selznick, Leigh and de Havilland; a 66 minute documentary on Clark Gable; and a 45 minute documentary on Vivien Leigh will also be included.

Warner’s "Ultra-Resolution" process -- which allows today’s viewers to see parts of the images which were never visible before and contains much sharper detail than in conventional Technicolor release prints -- has been used for three other major WHV releases -- Singin’ in the Rain, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Meet Me in St. Louis.

Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and Ms. de Havilland star in Gone with the Wind, which for more than a half century has thrilled audiences with its eternal love affair -- set in the South against the backdrop of the Civil War -- between handsome Rhett Butler (Gable) and his sassy, headstrong heroine Scarlett O’Hara (Leigh). With each new generation, Gone with the Wind continues to grow in popularity as new audiences discover and embrace the David O. Selznick production of Margaret Mitchell’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.

Ms. de Havilland earned her first Academy Award® nomination for her performance as the sweet Melanie Hamilton. During her illustrious career, she captured four more Oscar nominations, winning two statuettes (for To Each His Own and The Heiress). Ms. de Havilland currently enjoys a quiet retirement in Paris, France.

DVD special features include more than five hours of bonus content, all new to DVD:

Discs 1 and 2 (the film)

Commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
5.1 Dolby Digital Soundtrack
Original Mono Soundtrack
Disc 3

The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind the acclaimed 1989 documentary made by Selznick’s sons and narrated by Christopher Plummer [125 Minutes, Never-before-available on DVD]
Restoring a Legend - An in-depth look at the restoration and Ultra-Resolution process utilized by Warner Bros. for this new DVD presentation
Footage from 1939 Atlanta and 1961 Civil War Centennial Atlanta premieres
Dixie Hails Gone With the Wind [1939 premiere newsreel]
Atlanta Civil War Centennial [1961 premiere newsreel]
The Old South
Fred Zinnemann directed this historical 1940 theatrical short, which was shown by MGM in theaters prior to the release of Gone With the Wind
International prologue
Foreign-language version sample scenes
Trailer gallery
Disc 4

Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone with the Wind - All-new documentary produced especially for this new DVD set, features Ms. de Havilland’s personal recollections on the film
Clark Gable: A King Remembered – A portrait of the legendary actor’s long and distinguished career as M-G-M’s most famous leading man
Vivien Leigh: Scarlet and Beyond hosted by Jessica Lange, this is an insightful look at Leigh’s short and troubled life
Mini documentaries covering lives and careers of most prominent cast members
Gone with the Wind Four Disc Collector’s Edition

STREET DATE: November 9

$39.92 SRP DVD

Rating: G

Run Time: 238 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks