Senior HTF Member
Here they are:

Best Motion Picture - Drama

Nominees:

A Beautiful Mind (DreamWorks)

Directed by Ron Howard

In The Bedroom (Miramax)

Directed by Todd Field

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line)

Directed by Peter Jackson

The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films)

Directed by Joel Coen

Mulholland Dr. (Universal Focus)

Directed by David Lynch

--------------------

Best Motion Picture - Musical/Comedy

Nominees:

Bridget Jones's Diary (Miramax)

Directed by Sharon Maguire

Gosford Park (USA Films)

Directed by Robert Altman

Legally Blonde (MGM)

Directed by Robert Luketic

Moulin Rouge (Fox)

Directed by Baz Luhrman

Shrek (DreamWorks)

Directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Nominees:

Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind (DreamWorks)

Will Smith, Ali (Columbia)

Kevin Spacey, The Shipping News (Miramax)

Billy Bob Thornton, The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films)

Denzel Washington, Training Day (Warner Bros.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Nominees:

Halle Berry, Monster's Ball (Lions Gate)

Judi Dench, Iris (Miramax)

Nicole Kidman, The Others (Dimension)

Sissy Spacek, In The Bedroom (Miramax)

Tilda Swinton, The Deep End (Fox Searchlight)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical

Nominees:

Gene Hackman, The Royal Tenebaums (Touchstone)

Hugh Jackman, Kate & Leopold (Miramax)

Ewan McGregor, Moulin Rouge (Fox)

John Cameron Mitchell, Hedwig And The Angry Inch (Fine Line)

Billy Bob Thornton, Bandits (MGM)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical

Nominees:

Thora Birch, Ghost World (MGM)

Cate Blanchett, Bandits (MGM)

Nicole Kidman, Moulin Rouge (Fox)

Reese Witherspoon, Legally Blonde (MGM)

Renée Zellweger, Bridget Jones's Diary (Miramax)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Nominees:

Jim Broadbent, Iris (Miramax)

Steve Buscemi, Ghost World (MGM)

Hayden Christensen, Life As A House (New Line)

Ben Kingsley, Sexy Beast (Fox Searchlight)

Jude Law, A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DreamWorks)

Jon Voight, Ali (Columbia)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Nominees:

Jennifer Connelly, A Beautiful Mind (DreamWorks)

Cameron Diaz, Vanilla Sky (Paramount)

Helen Mirren, Gosford Park (USA Films)

Maggie Smith, Gosford Park (USA Films)

Marisa Tomei, In The Bedroom (Miramax)

Kate Winslet, Iris (Miramax)

Best Director - Motion Picture

Nominees:

Robert Altman, Gosford Park (USA Films)

Ron Howard, A Beautiful Mind (DreamWorks)

Peter Jackson, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line)

Baz Luhrmann, Moulin Rouge (Fox)

David Lynch, Mulholland Dr. (Universal Focus)

Steven Spielberg, A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DreamWorks)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Nominees:

Akiva Goldsman

Gosford Park (USA Films)

Julian Fellowes

The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films)

Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Memento (Newmarket)

Christopher Nolan

David Lynch

Best Foreign Language Film

Nominees:

Amélie (Miramax)

Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet [France]

Behind The Sun (Miramax)

Directed by Walter Salles [Brazil]

Monsoon Wedding (USA Films)

Directed by Mira Nair [India]

No Man's Land (MGM)

Directed by Danis Tanovic [Bosnia]

Y Tu Mamá También (IFC Films)

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón [Mexico]

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Nominees:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DreamWorks)

John Williams

Ali (Columbia)

Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke

Directed by James Horner

Directed by Howard Shore

Moulin Rouge (Fox)

Craig Armstrong

Angelo Badalamenti

Pearl Harbor (Touchstone)

Hans Zimmer

The Shipping News (Miramax)

Christopher Young

Best Original Song - Motion Picture

Nominees:

"Come What May"

Moulin Rouge (Fox)

Music and Lyrics by David Baerwald

"May It Be"

Music and Lyrics by Enya

"There You'll Be"

Pearl Harbor (Touchstone)

Music and Lyrics by Diane Warren

"Until..."

Kate & Leopold (Miramax)

Music and Lyrics by Sting

"Vanilla Sky"

Vanilla Sky (Paramount)

Music and Lyrics by Paul McCartney

--------------------

Cecil B. DeMille Award

Harrison Ford

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Moulin Rouge & A Beautiful Mind seemed to do very well; haven't seen A Beautiful Mind, however I've been very impressed with Moulin Rouge, which at least took big chances :)
Just saw the list elsewhere a few minutes ago, thanks for the breakdown.

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
J...J...J...Jennifer Connelly gets a nomination! I am speechless. She finally got some attention.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I like seeing Man Who Wasn't There and Mulholland Dr. getting some love, but for Hedwig to be excluded from best musical/comedy and best song is just wrong.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
HUGE MEMENTO SNUB, except screenplay. That has to tell us that it's lost any Oscar steam, at least that's how I read it.

Not sure about the Spacey nom based on word of mouth. Same with Will Smith.

LOTR got the 2 big ones - pix/director, adding to it's Oscar build-up.

Muholland Drive proves that pix outside the mainstream are getting recognition. Hedwig even got a nomination for JCM.

Pearl Harbor sneaks in a nod with Best Song. Honestly, despite this being it's best chance, I'm still surprised.

Is Come What May eligible? I thought it was written by them BEFORE Moulin Rouge, even though it is original work by them.

I'd say the Best Pix are what I would expect from the Academy at this point, except that Moulin Rouge will probably get Man Who Wasn't There's spot when they bring it into one category.

Take out Christenson and I'd say you could very well be looking at the Best Supporting Academ noms. Too bad that McKellan is out in the cold there, I honestly think he was wonderful in his role.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I like seeing Man Who Wasn't There and Mulholland Dr. getting some love, but for Hedwig to be excluded from best musical/comedy and best song is just wrong.
Now that you mention it I agree.

However, regarding Best Song, I thought they were ineligible having already been written for the Broadway show.

If this is not true then that snub is a joke. It's not even close. Come What May is the only other song on that list that has caught any viewers attention or has any soul.

Not to mention that CWM and the Hedwig stuff is actually used IN THE FILM, which should add weight over some tacked on credits song which exists only to get a nomination.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I believe Come What May will be ineligible for Oscar consideration since it was originally written for 1996's Romeo and Juliet. I also think that Mementois getting the short straw here, it's the best movie of the year IMO. I am still trying to figure out why Mullholland Drive is getting such raves. Yes it is risky and different, but I get the feeling that it is a case of "Wow, what was that about, it must be good!". Just my opinion of course.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't everyone last year complaining that the Golden Globes were a joke, and not to be taken seriously. I tend to agree with that sentiment. Though the list looks pretty good, but breaking Best Picture into different categories seems silly. Give me one category please.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Keep in consideration that this is the Golden Globes we're talking about. Their rules are likely different in regard to some things, such as songs. I think they have generally done a decent job with these nominations, but the "legitimacy" (my quotes) of the organization always calls things into question.
As for Memento, I've been saying all along that I don't foresee it getting those big Oscar nominations, screenplay aside, and I think this bears that out. The Globes had twice as many chances to nominate it (if you consider the split of Best Picture by category) but failed to do so.
Not that you asked ;) but I think A Beautiful Mind is a lock for a Best Picture nomination from the Academy. I think In the Bedroom's chances get better as the other groups continue to regard it highly. Amelie, which hasn't seemed to get noticed as much, should still have a strong push behind it. Plus, it's a well loved film. Ali probably stands a decent chance, but I don't know that it's going to grab people. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down, but it looks like a strong contender.
While I would be shocked if they did so, don't doubt the power of Frank Darabont. The Green Mile being up for the award really surprised me, and The Majestic isn't even as good as it. Still, it is a nice, old fashioned movie that I could see appealing to the Academy. I thought maybe The Royal Tenenbaums would gain some momentum. Doesn't look likely. The Man Who Wasn't There or Mulholland Drive, much to my surprise, may get the "quirky" slot.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
As I've been saying elsewhere the 2 locks are
A Beautiful Mind and In the Bedroom
You are critically well received, released in Oscar season, and are backed by Dreamworks or Miramax; here is your complementary AA nomination. :)
I feel like Amelie is the best foreign film lock, AA I mean.
LOTR will be the BIG picture thrown in, which hurts Shrek a great deal (as does the best animated (aka Shrek) award being added). :)
Gives you 2 spots for the quirky, or other...Muholland Drive looks to have one of them. I'd call it a toss up between Black Hawk Down and Moulin Rouge at this point.
The Globes are a joke, yet they do have some meaning to the Oscar season. Just think Gladiator.
When A Beautiful Mind wins the GG, I'd say it's time to put your money on it winning the Oscar as well. Then all the In the Bedroom fans will be calling the Oscars a joke, etc.
(this could probably be reversed as well, but with Crowe being in his hot streak and the Academy LOVING the chance to give an award to a long-standing money maker (Ron Howard in this case) ABM looks to have a sweep of Pix, Director, Actor all lined up in a row.
So will Tilda get pushed aside by Spacek? Interesting race there.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's something that I do NOT understand:
How is Connelly's role in A Beautiful Mind considered "supporting", yet Blanchett's turn in Bandits is considered "leading"?
This is not a comment on performance, as I adore both actresses. It just makes no sense to me.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Regarding Memento, I thought four of the movies (haven't seen A Beautiful Mind) in the drama category were better than it. I haven't seen any posts about the TFCA, so in case some don't know, they awarded Memento for best movie. So there is still be a slight chance it'll get nominated for Oscar's best picture.

I'm disappointed that Final Fantasy hasn't received any recognition for best song and score, two categories that I thought it would have really good chances in.

~T

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Legally Blonde for Best Picture Comedy? While the film can pass for mild entertainment, I wouldn't put it in the top 5 comedies of this year. It just shows how weak the films are in this genre this year.
~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I'm also glad that John Cameron Mitchell got an acting nod. However, both Jack Nicholson and Guy Pearce were not nominated. Having not seen most of the performances in this category, I would have to withhold any comments for now as to whether any injustice has been done here. ;)
~Edwin

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Yes, Blanchett certainly was not a lead in Bandits, especially if one considers Naomi Watts a supporting player in Mulholland Drive. (I don't think she is, but as off the wall as it is, I've seen her listed in that category. What?!) That's not to mention that I thought Blanchett was embarrassing in the film. She's a great actress, but this is not one of her better moments.

Nigel W

Grip
Thanks for the list Edwin.
Seeing this list of nominees only makes me realize how few movies I've seen this past year! :frowning: I love movies and with work and home keeping me busier than ever, watching movies is at the bottom of my list, unfortunately.
I'm really looking forward to In the Bedroom and Moulin Rouge...that is to start! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy420isking
Recent bookmarks