What's new

Going to Amsterdam - what to do? (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I do not suggest the Van Gogh museum AT ALL. Not worth the $20. I suggest the Rijksmuseum
While I wouldn't go that far about the Van Gogh museum, if you've got to pick one museum to go to, the Rijksmuseum - http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/ is definitely the better bet IMO.
Anne Frank House is worth it. And so is getting some Frites and walking down the canals.
And the Indonesian food is quite good there.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
If I was to go I'd have to budget for twice the time. That way I could still visit all the cultural stuff after I was done SMOKING :D
-Marshall

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely visit the Rijksmuseum. Personally I think Van Gogh kind of sucks but went to see the museum anyway. If you haven't been exposed to him I'd recommend it. It was really crowded when we went, and "no pictures allowed." The Anne Frank House was somewhat less impactful than I expected... maybe I should have read the book :p. There is also a Jewish history museum there that is worth seeing if you are relatively religious person, but not worth it if you aren't.
I can't recommend anything on the pot front, but you'll definitely be able to find a place you like... they are all over the place. If one place doesn't give you the right vibe then just go to the next one.
Go thru the red-light district. It's an Amsterdam-only experience :). There are tons of sex-toy shops and shows there... apparently the different shows are of differing quality. Don't go in expecting a glorified strip-club. They are "explicit." :eek: It's laid out with the "best" parts in the middle, then as you go farther from that middle street in the district you get into more and more seedy areas. Don't go in the more seedy areas.
When I was there, there was an Ireland/England soccer game going on... drunk Irish people were roaming the streets in packs singing drinking songs at 3 pm, and there was at least one shooting over it even before the game had started. So keep on your toes :).

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'm looking forward to my trip even though I'll be working hard during the weekdays.

We're also thinking about hitting the Jazz Festival next weekend -- the lineup sounds spectacular.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I'm leaving for Amsterdam on Monday! My girlfriend & I are backpacking Europe for a month and are starting in Amsterdam. Thanks for all the suggestions! (I pop 16 boners for Van Gogh, so the museum will be #1 on the list!)

Peter Yee

Premium
Yes, the Indonesian food. Get the rijsttafel (literally Rice Table), which is ersatz Indonesian food much loved by the Dutch. Can't seem to find a good rijsttafel here in the US, but in Amsterdam it is easy. A dozen or more small dishes to try, served on metal platforms get warm by tealights.
I found the Van Gogh museum (sounds like you're spitting when you say it in Dutch!) worth the price of admission. I know part of the collection was on tour here in the US -- is this still the case? When I went (1993, I think), the collection was all there and it was fabulous. I didn't make it into the Rijksmuseum.
Take a canal tour by boat. They've got English speaking guides. You'll get a nice introduction to the city that way.
-Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks