What's new

Gilligan's Island - seson set coming (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
David Deeb said:
I'm surprised the 3 reunion movies have not been packaged in a set, and released by now. The regular series (seasons 1-3) sold very well on DVD. Even the animated Gilligan's Planet series is for sale on Warner Archives. I think the show would look great on Blu-ray. Hoping for that.
Hi David!

I recall reading the other day something about THE NEW ADVENTURES OF GILLIGAN finally getting a release early next year, I believe. Apparently, it was supposed to be issued a few years back, but it was among some of the other animated series that Warner delayed issuing due to missing elements. With that release, I believe the two Reunion TV Movies will be the only major Gilligan titles that have yet to see light of day on Home Video!

Frankly, I'm surprised that Warner hasn't issued the original series on Blu-ray, but I suppose with most of the castaways (Except Dawn Wells, and Tina Louise, who tends to distance herself from GI related events, anyway!) now deceased, coupled with a lesser presence on syndicated television, promotion of it might be a challenge; not to mention the need to make new HD Transfers, assuming that hasn't been done already.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding any potential issuing of the original series on Blu-ray, this article from January of last year confirms that GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was remastered in HD for TV Land Broadcasts: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/16/gilligans-island-docks-at-tv-land-for-the-first-time-in-10-years/

While by itself, this confirms nothing in terms of Blu-ray issuing, the cost of HD scanning is out of the equation!

Having just finally acquired GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: SEASON 3 (Single Sided Version) on DVD, perhaps I've jumped the gun? Time will tell!

Nevertheless, I hope to receive the first two Seasons on Single Sided DVDs, to replace my flippers this Christmas! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
bretmaverick2 said:
I wish some company would release the post series reunion movies. Sure, they weren't great but it would be nice just to have them in DVD or Blu Ray.

Hi Tom!

Also, the three Reunion Movies collectively wrap up the Series Story-line!

It's been previously posted that Universal holds the rights, though I wonder how the initial RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) wound up in the Public Domain (Apparently!), whereas the subsequent Films didn't?

************SPOILER ALERT!!!!************

By only having access to the first Reunion Movie, we're unfortunately left with the Former Castaways becoming Castaways once again, without any further resolution!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The only time I recall seeing the first movie on DVD, the quality was horrible. It looked like someone set a camera in front of their TV and recorded it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
bretmaverick2 said:
The only time I recall seeing the first movie on DVD, the quality was horrible. It looked like someone set a camera in front of their TV and recorded it.

I have the movie on dvd and the quality is poor. It would be great if the studio could release all the movies/cartoons with the TV series as the complete Gilligan's Island set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tonight, I decided to watch the Christmas Episode from Season 1, Titled "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk" which originally aired December 19, 1964.

Despite the Episodes not being in HD, I find the PQ holds up rather well. I do wish to replace my Double Sided DVDs, however! On that end, I plan to make a trip to our local Shopper's Drug Mart tomorrow, where I hope that I can still pick up the first 2 seasons at $9.99 each, which will be part of my Christmas Present allotment!

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The tv series, the 4 movies, the 2 cartoon series and the various tv reunions on talkshows, Family Feud and the like -- now that would be quite a package!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier, I was viewing the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: A POP CULTURE PHENOMENON, when I realized that one of the actresses (Wendi McLendon-Covey) that appears in this delightful 12 minute vignette, currently plays Beverly Goldberg (The Smother Mother, I like to call her!) on THE GOLDBERGS, one of the better Family Sitcoms currently on Television, in my opinion! I found the recollection of Wendi's fear of getting stranded on an Island because her Family used the very Marina from where the S.S. Minnow sails from, interesting.

I was a bit miffed that the above extra refused to play on my PC Laptop. For some unknown reason, that and the Final GI Episode won't play on this! Thankfully, it worked on our regular Samsung Blu-ray Player, or else my GI Season 3 DVD set would have been going back to Amazon Canada! As it stands, it's kind of annoying!

Again, I found the visual quality very good for a mid 00' SD DVD Release!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I feel at this late stage, it's worth noting that unlike many more recently issued TV series sets, Warner didn't cram a ton of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND Episodes on each DVD. In fact, each disc contains no more than six 25 minute Episodes, plus whatever Bonus Feature/s on the last disc for each of the 3 seasons! Yet, going by the over 7 and a half GB reading for the last DVD of the final season, Warner didn't skimp on the maximizing of disc capacity, either!

There's a very good reason these SD transfers still hold up! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Today, I picked up the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: Seasons 1 and 2 (Single Sided DVDs!) from Shopper's Drug Mart; a rare Brick & Mortar purchase. Somehow, it strikes me as a bit sobering that my having them put on hold was not only unnecessary (There were still the same 2 copies of each!), but I actually ended up getting the GI Season 1 DVD set off of the rack instead, when I noticed the annoying tell tale disc rattle! :P

Now that I have the entire series on DVD, I wonder when the impending Blu-ray issue announcement might occur? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks