What's new

Gilligan's Island - seson set coming (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Thanks Dave.
After using babelfish I see the mention now. Even looks like they have a featurette on the colorizing of it! Ted Turner would be proud.
Guess I'll get it anyway. I'll just unplug the Yr & Yb lines to get B&W. :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Mark, that won't give you the true B&W image, just so you know. The added color information completely changes the tonality and shading of the original photography.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
CD Japan's English website listing for BEWITCHED Season 1 and 2 box sets also lists the shows as being in color.

I'm not a big fan of colorized stuff, but these actually aren't too badly done.

I am kind of surprised they didn't do GILLIGAN's first season in color on DVD since Turner had them converted years ago. It is better to offer the original B/W only though if they can't do both.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add a couple of comments to this thread I like others SURE hope Warner Brothers is using double sided discs for 36 episodes. If not this is going to be UGLY.

On the opposite side I wish they WEREN'T using double sided discs, I know it would increase the set cost to do them on single sided discs but handling dual sided ones is a pain. You have to be extra careful.

The good news is with only three seasons these would really have to bomb bad for the entire series not to make it out, and who knows maybe we'll get lucky & get the remaining two seasons before '05.

On the topic of colorization I'm a fan of the colorized first season Gilligan episodes too. I hate Turner South took them off the air here, but they still air in Canada and I've got a friend who has been recording them to DVD there. I hope to add that to my Gilligan collection so I'll have a choice... color or B&W ;-).

Do those colorized "I Dream of Jeannie" & "Bewitched" episodes air in the US anywhere?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Having the first season in color is similar to the OAR issue, Chad2pk. Why would you want them in color? This is not how the first season was originally shown.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's a personal preference thing, like some of the others who've brought up having both versions on the disc mentioned.

It all depends on the show and the person, I just think the first season looks better in color like the rest though I plan on buying the real first season set as well, that way I can watch either version I want anytime.

To me some shows shouldn't be touched when it comes to color, but others just look better that way. I Dream of Jeannie is an example of that, I'd much prefer seeing the first season of that show in color as opposed to b&w.

On the other hand I can't imagine other classics like "Andy Griffith" or "I Love Lucy" ever being colorized. It just doesn't seem right for those shows.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The colorized versions of the early seasons of BEWITCHED and JEANNIE aired over and over on the Hallmark Channel in 2001-2002, but now that TV Land is airing these series, they have chosen to present the original B/W prints.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Spoke too soon.... it arrived here this morning, haven't had a chance to look at it yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks