What's new

Giant power Outages? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm on. Albany was in the thick of the storm, but fortunately Ni-Mo has their shit together and has been working hard to get us working again quick. Here we had a fifteen minute brown-out followed by a five minute black out, with the power levels flickering until about five. Our sub-grid was the only one in the 'burbs that managed to stay powered fairly consistantly though. A friend of mine was over here until 11 because he had no power. Really frigging bizzarre too... cellphones were out, radio stations were out. Cable was out.

The poor bastards downstate aren't so lucky. I wonder what the people stuck in the subways all those hours were thinking?

Meanwhile, my uncle works for the NY Power Authority. He's hiding in Maryland at the moment under the guise of visiting his daughter;)

John Watson

Screenwriter
It's a damn good thing that the phone system provides its own power. We've been able to tell an apartment-bound senior in Ottawa what the TV stations are telling us.

But we're waaay to dependent on our "smart" technology :frowning:

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
So glad that I had recently got a place that had it's own generators in NYC, which is where I stayed the night. That said, my parents (who were at the house in the bronx reported their power coming back at the same time Steve posted... a few terse words to the effect taht the signals were back on. ;)

According to the Mayor, about a 1/5 of NYC (all five boroughs) have power restored. My work in midtown (which is where I am typing from) had its power around 4am or so. Believe it or not, buses are FREE - and have AC.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I just had an interview with a guy in NYC over the phone, about his movie Red Betsy, and it was just facinating to talk to someone who thought it could be a couple blocks, but slowly start to realize the extent of the power-outage... they don't have TV, radio, or cell phones to find the latest news. That's just facinating, to me.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Our power came back on at around 11:30pm last night. Not too bad after all (In my area of town). I still have some relatives who live in different parts of Ottawa without power.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I couldn't get back to Toronto, so I stayed in Mississauga with my parents. Their power came back on at 1:00 or so. I've come back to the store, just to check on things, really -- I'm not going to run any of the machines. The computers are fine, and I didn't lose any work.

Ontario has declared a state of emergency. Power is at 60% of normal, large parts of Toronto are still out, still no subway, and I haven't seen a GO train yet this morning. We're being asked to conserve power and water, though the water treatment plants are getting top priority for power. We are told to expect rolling blackouts.

Between posting here last night and eventually going to my parents' house, I spent a couple of hours in the most fantastic sushi restaurant I've ever been to, which is around a block away from my store. They had their doors open, so I stuck my head in and asked, "Are you selling food?"

"Only sushi," answered the lady. :D

My tummy was very, very happy.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Heh...about 45 mins. after my last message, the power went OFF again for about 2.5 hours. It just recently came back on again.

*crosses fingers*

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, we came back on in Waterloo around 3 AM, so I was finally able to get some news about this thing. Pretty nuts-I'm glad that I wasn't in Toronto at the time, and that the BBQ still had lots of gas.

Still, you never realize how much stuff draws power until you lose it. All but one of our phones are cordless for example (no good with no juice), and we don't have a battery powered radio, so no news that way.

But, I guess there are worse things in the world than having to sit around in the dark for a night.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well, I am back finally after about 15 hours of no power.

Last night was a blast in a certain way here in NYC.
The fact that there was NO TV, NO Radio, NO Cell Phones, NO Internet was almost surreal, but it forced most people to sit outside their homes, drink and ... get this ... TALK TO EACH OTHER :D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
So, since I never got home I wasn't able to pack myself a lunch today.

The McDonald's next to my store is like a war zone. Their milkshake machine is spitting out lumpy, unfrozen ice cream. Everything that beeps is beeping, non-stop. Some of the lights are burned out, and some are flickering.

Ahh, technology.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I just got my power 10 minutes ago and now I can finally cook, I'm sick of BBQ.

The funny thing is whenever we have a hiccup or even last night's power failure, the show "Dark Angel" comes to mind.

I keep thinking it was an electronic pulse which would wipe everything out, including my bills;)

The official word here in Toronto is that the power may last up to only 2 hours.

I was online last night when it hit and thank goodness I bought an UPS power protector. I first balked at the price when I bought it, but it definitely paid for itself last night.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So here is the story;

We lost our power at 4;12 P.m. on Thursday, missed The amazinf Race, Worked from 10:30 p.m. to about 4.30 a.m., our generator ran dry, home at in bed by six.

We FINALLY got power about 1;30. I really need my media fix when I got up so I threw in CHASING AMY. Cleaned like I never have before..

In Toronto we had a few gas stations operating this morning, but almost no looting overnight.

We also had a few idiots jumping line, but most people were pretty good.

I'm just happy I was able to work for a few hours. Since I slept for 7 hours I would have been bored shitless if I was forced to listen to the radio for 8 hours in the dark.

It's nice to be back.

I really love it when something different happens. I doubt this will happen again. It sure was dark and sure was beautiful!!

Brent

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
they don't have TV, radio, or cell phones to find the latest news. That's just facinating, to me.
Yeah, fascinating in f'ing Wisconsin where you DO have power, TV, radios, and phones.;)

On a serious note, considering how shellshocked people still are, I wonder what the people trapped in subways and elevators were thinking with no access to the outside world. People were trapped in elevators at the Empire State Plaza for like 4 hours yesterday. Still, something to tell the grandkids one day.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This situation is nuts. Here in the GTA (Toronto), there are places that have power and most that still do not and add to that, some places do not have water. I had to leave work at lunchtime to buy some essentials from the local A&P. All the bread and water was sold out. It was unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks