What's new

Giant power Outages? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Oh no! I have an order comingng from Ottawa! Are they blacked-out as well? If so I hope they will package and send it out in the dark!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I believe that the markets have some backup power generators and redundant data systems. Glad it did happen after the market, hopefully they will figure it out tomorrow.

I just hope and pray that the people on the island get home safely to their families.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My dad just called to tell me stories about what he was doing in '65 during the blackout while he was at University.
I just checked your profile and notice that you were not born in 1966, Aaron. We had a lot of jokes back then as to the number of babies that would be born nine months later. :D

Not, I’m sure that your Dad would have engaged in any hanky-panky back in the day. ;)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The scale of this is truly amazing. I hope this is sorted out soon. The footage on the news is crazy.

We're used to power outages in the country but city outages are definetly a big deal.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Well I'm in Montana (Butte, butt with an e) on business and I would be livid if I can't fly home to Minneapolis in the morning!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Not, I’m sure that your Dad would have engaged in any hanky-panky back in the day.
I was born nine months after a blackout, just a different blackout. :)

But thanks for putting the image of my parents and hanky-panky into my head, since I have nothing else to do but think about it now. AARRRGH!

I just had a customer yell at me because there's no power and they couldn't pay for something with their debit card. I had to ask "Do you really think that this is my fault or that I can do something about it?"

I have no idea of what I'm going to do for dinner. Or how I'm getting home, for that matter.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Mayor Bloomberg is saying that the power is coming back slowly to NYC. He also said that it would take "hours, not minutes" to get the power restored to everyone.

Another thing he mentioned is for the people to make sure all electrical appliances, especially air conditioners are off, because they can't have power demand be 100% right away when it comes back.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Yeah, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL all over again.

We were able to tell a senior in Ottawa the info by phone, hopefully folks will turn off those hi-consumption machines off, so the restart isn't corrupted.

Where is Canada's EMO? Mayor Bloomberg in NY is giving more info than anyone else

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Just heard Ted Koppell and ABC made fools of at the top of the evening news.
They started off with someone from thankyoufortakingmycall.com who managed to talk nonsense for over two minutes, give his URL three times and mention radio telepathy and Beauty & The Beast...all the while Ted had NO clue that it was a hoax.
Some ABC producer obviously thought they had a legitimate public official to lead the news with. Wrong. :b

Jim

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Power in my small town in northern NJ is on... Power did go out where I work in Wayne, NJ but since I leave at 4pm I was already halfway through W2k's shutdown procedure where the power gods just made that decision easy. I just hope CSC, the IT kniggets dont jump down my throat now for improper shutdown.

Anyway, came home and power at my house was fine... although it did go out for a second at 4 and again at 5. I was worried my VCR would lose my recording of TAR4 tonight... I was supposed to go mtn biking after work today but my friend bailed out due to "end of the world" syndrone. So he dropped me off and I biked a couple miles back home. Figure if my power was out, I'd go out on a longer ride but alas, the power is on..

I just hope CBS is not going to be broadcasting this outage thing during TAR's timeslot!

Jay

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
President Bush will address the nation at in about 30 minutes at 8:30pm EDT.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is quite unsettling that power could be knocked off such a major part of the nation so easily. I know the causes have not yet been identified with certainty, but the little info we have so far does indicate that the problem originated from a single plant / station. That is disturbing.

--
Holadem

David-S

Second Unit
I agree, I thought this had all been "fixed" so that it couldn't happen again??

They were talking to a ConEd guy who was saying they had to shut all their plants down due to instability... :thumbsdown:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My wife and I are sitting around the glow of my battery powered laptop as I type this. :)

We live in Ottawa and are hoping that our power comes back on soon. We live a little bit outside of town and are on a well, I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't overflow. We must live in a high water table because there is a steady little stream of water pouring in. :D

Take care guys and enjoy the night!

We plan on taking the telescope out tonight to see how Mars is looking. We have some great dark skies out here and the "lack" of light polution will only make things better!

Take care,

Mike

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I saw this all over the news. Even my local station was broadcasting the news about the blackout. My grandfather came in a little while ago & told me that news reports are trying to say that lightning is the cause of the blackouts but the National Weather Service is claiming that there was no lighting strikes near the Niagara Mohawk power grid.

I saw the pictures from the Brooklyn Bridge showing lots of people & cars trying to get home. Here's hoping that everyone gets home safely. I remember seeing the picture with hundreds-thousands of people standing at the bus terminal at the Port Authority in New York. I live in Breinigsville, PA which is 5-10 West of Allentown, PA & 54 miles North Northwest of Philadelphia & it was reported on WFMZ Channel 69 news that my power company which is PP&L, & that PP&L were monitoring the power grid just incase a power outage would happen here. If I remember correctly, Philadelphia was put on alert just in case of a power outage.

IMO, the problem is that you have one power company supplying power to a large area. IMO, I believe that the Niagera Mohawk power gird can't handle the amount of power that needs to be generated. Were talking about a power company which was said on the news, that this power company has about 84,000 miles of line. One company is supplying power to over 5 states/areas. One guy which was interviewed on CNN said that they need more power companies because 1 can't supply power to lots of places (I agree with this guy).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The power plants 'share' what power they aren't using, so every section can get what they need. I think what happened today was that one plant (to be named) had to shut down, and the other plants were already maxed out, so it ripples through as each plant figures out that it can't provide what is needed.

I thought that they were going to fix that after the one in '65, and again after '77. That was like 25 years ago! I can't wait to hear their excuse as to why it still happens.

Or how about how much money it is going to cost to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I suppose that building more nuke plants is out of the question, so this will be interesting, to say the least.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks