What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

Travis W.

Second Unit
I still don't understand why Widescreen is listed as a Ghostbusters extra...maybe it's in widescreen after all?

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I can't belive this. I already have the 1999 P&S VHS and now we get this!

I don't see what is the point of doing this? And what's worse is that the 1999 DVD is OOP!

Please Sony change your mind.

Also on the back cover... why is the full frame image look like a widescreen symbol?

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
This is deja vu to the Stuart Little deluxe box set which only has full screen for the original. I've been waiting since Hurricane Charley for a Ghostbusters box (& a Stuart Little in ws) replacement. I've sent Sony a polite email & will call first thing in the morning, well right after I've called DDD to cancel my preorder.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just dashed off an e-mail to Sony about this. I was nice and polite in informing them that unless Ghostbusters was released in it's original 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio, I would not be purchasing the set.

I'll post the answer I get back. More than likely, an form letter of some sort.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed, the one part of the back cover that IS readable (the part in red) indicates that Ghostbusters 1 is "widescreen".

If Sony does release it FF, the only explanation I can think of is that someone in charge knows very little about the film, and assumed it is a kids' title.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

If they work for in the entertainment industry and they don't know who the Ghostbusters are.... boy are they dense.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I think I figured out the logic behind this. Ghostbusters 2 is the sequel.. so it has to have twice the screen size of the original.

Or maybe Sony is on crack. It would explain why it took em 6 years to come out with a 5th Element SE.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Runs to get R2 UK of Ghostbusters in OAR only for £5.
Thank god this crazy thinking of Sony hasn't come here... yet! [gulp]

My local ASDA Wal-Mart has it in the kids section. :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I had fully intended on buying these, assuming there was an improved picture quality, even though I already own both on dvd.

While I'd still be interested in upgrading the second one, since these are packaged together I will be passing. No way in hell am I going to be part of a statistic showing sales for a p&s disc.

Pathetic.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
On the old DVD you had to set your player to letterboxed widescreen to see the "video" commentary (those shadows of the guys watching the movie).

So maybe the new DVD only has the movie in letterboxed widescreen because they think people are too stupid to adjust their player to see the commentary.

That would make both the 1.33:1 in the box and the 'Widescreen' in the Special Features true.

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator
I think the box says Ghostbusters 1&2 then list the specs for both as offering Foolscreen and Widescreen. I guess that is what I am hoping for.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just got a look at the back cover, and I have to say the impression I get is that Ghostbusters 1 will be WS and Ghostbusters 2 will be P&S. The spec grid says 1&2 above it, but then they show the aspect ratios to the right one on top of the other. However, GB1 is the one that mentions WS in the special features, while GB2 does not.

Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but GB1 never has a P&S transfer did it? The disc I have is single sided. However, GB2 was a flipper. To me it is more likely they would drop the WS side of GB2 like they have done with so many other movies. Hopefully both will be WS in the end.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
What makes this even worse, back in the mid 80's, when letterboxing was becoming more common, Siskel and Ebert used to show clips of GHOSTBUSTERS to show how bad panning and scanning was, comparing the full frame with the widescreen.

This just doesn't make sense. Although, most of what Sony has been doing with DVD lately doesn't make sense.

Don't they want to sell more widescreen TVs? I have a standard Sony TV, but it has a 16x9 function on it. Don't they realize this is part of the hardware they sell?

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

I agree with this. Sony appears to be creating a market for blu-ray by reissuing DVDs in full-frame only so that people who want widescreen versions will be forced to buy their blu-ray discs. It will be very interesting to see the first wave of blu-ray discs when they do indeed arrive. From a certain standpoint it makes good business sense. For consumers - at least those who want OAR - it stinks.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Um, why is everyone bitching about Sony?

COLUMBIA is making these decisions. I don't hear anyone complaining about NBC when Universal issues something P&S, or Viacom when Paramount drops the ball.

There is no "Blu-ray conspiracy" here.
We will see when the final product is issued. They finally did right with "The Karate Kid" and "Matilda".

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I haven't called it Columbia/TriStar in years. But Sony, from what I understand, is now incharge of distriburtion and packaging of all these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks