What's new

Getting ready for CEDIA...Any requests? (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Adam! I saw last night that the Toshiba rep in Ron's video had mentioned the 35 could pass bitstream but it wasn't clear that that was the only model capable of doing so. The only reason I'm really curious about bitstream is that I'm looking to upgrade my receiver and am trying to determine the importance of being able to handle raw HD audio feeds.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The chipset in the A30 and A35 is the same that is currently in the A20. Again, everyone that I have talked to has said it makes no difference if the player does the decode or the receiver does.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you have a display that accepts 1080/24 either the A30 or 35 will be fine, if not, it may be worth it to step up to the XA2, which doesn't currently support bitstream, but is rumored to get that functionality eventually via a firmware update.

Tom Abbott

Auditioning
I'd be interested in news about any other companies besides LG and Samsung that may be releasing Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combi players just in time for Christmas. (Any wonder what's on my wish list?) Tom

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I haven't had a chance to test this yet. I am going to come out and say that while no one will confirm it, in my opinion the Venturer is a rebadged Toshiba A3. I'll go into more detail in another report later.

I also wanted to say that while I think the gen 2 Toshiba is slow to power up (still faster than gen 1), I couldn't believe how long the Sony S300 takes. It's easily twice as long as the Panasonic!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Definitely interested in hearing the comparison of these players as well as comparisons to the 2nd gen Toshiba players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks