What's new

Getting New JBLs? (1 Viewer)

Aaron_S

Grip
I am looking to upgrade my speakers. But, I am in a money bind for a long while. I am looking at getting better performance though. I have a fairly good sub that i can use and I currently have Yamaha NS8390 floor standing speakers they are the ones that have a 3/4" tweeter, 4" midrange and 8" woofer, with the midrange and woofer being paper drivers. I was wondering if I will see a performance increase or better sound if i get JBL S26II Bookshelf Speakers for fronts to use with my sub instead of the yammies. The s26's have a 1" tweeter and 6" woofer. Or else maybe JBL N28 with the 8" woofer. Would I get better sound from these with my sub than my floorstanders? I can't hear them so I'm looking for advice. And I can't find the S36II's for 150 anymore. Thanks in advance.

Aaron_S

Grip
I am wondering if I can even find a matching center to go with these at a decent price. Any help?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, there was no need to create two separate threads; your questions here and in the other thread are related and could have been asked together.

Anyway...

There's no way to answer your first question, about whether or not you'll get better performance, unless you demo the speakers in your rig. As far as a matching center, if you go with the N series then you should be able to find an N Center without a lot of difficulty; you could also use a Northridge E Center. If you choose the Studio series, you might have a harder time finding a new S Center, but there is a new Studio series coming in 2004 and you could wait for a center from that series.

I know nothing about Yamaha speakers. My instincts tell me that you will not be disappointed with JBL, however.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded my HT to JBL's. I use "3" S26II's for the front stage (I feel when you have some off access seating, your better off with a single set of drivers so the off access folks dont get timing errors....and with all three being the same I get great tonality! :D )

I use S36IIPM's for the back...they use the exact same tweeter/woofer...with an additional mid that I feel is great for rear ambiance. Plus they have a slightly smaller molded cabinet made for hanging on the wall...easy!

I got the S26II's from the JBL/HK EBay store, they are reconditioned by JBL with the full factory warranty (5 yrs). They arrived sealed and in factory boxes...I have no sign they were anything but new. I won one pair for $111, the second for $138. ($26 shipping each)

The S36IIPM's I got from BestBuy.com on Sale. $149.99 w/free shipping. (also on Ebay too)

I matched that with a SVS 20-39PCi that arrived last week.(Thanks Tom/Ron/Erik!!!)

I did all this in the past couple weeks and am in heaven! (even though I running them with a crappy HTB receiver..soon to change. The speakers were more important!)

I listen to movies, tv, music...it all sounds incredible...and seeing as how I got $1350 msrp worth of JBL's for $398 (plus shipping) my wallet is very happy too! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks